Notices

Re-discovering that valuable commodity

Old 07-07-2019, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Re-discovering that valuable commodity

The numerous advantages of sobriety have been discussed many times on these forums. I want to briefly mention another one with so many positive spin-offs: time.

Alcoholism affects every minute of every day. Time is spent drinking, recovering from hangovers, battling withdrawal and sleeping badly. Time is spent beating oneself up about yet another social blunder, a wasted day/night, agonising over blackouts, wondering how to get out of this vicious cycle of self-destruction. No wonder the end result of such chaos is extreme anxiety.

In sobriety I now have so much time. Initially it was a bit of a battle to fill that time. But just like bad habits, good habits also tend to become easy to repeat. Exercising, reading, writing, listening to music, practising sport and doing every day tasks fall nicely into place when one is calm and relaxed. Having time to approach life at a leisurely pace is such a bonus.

Bad things still happen, there are disappointments, sorrow and mistakes. Even and perhaps especially with the downside it is an advantage to have time to tackle problems.

What in the first month of sobriety seemed a curse is now one of the special blessings.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Needed this today...TY
Old 07-07-2019, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh how true Callas!!! It's amazing how we can use time as a gift. And WANT to use it!

Thanks for the reminder this morning.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Such a good post.

I used to spend weekends drunk, I'd go into work on Monday tired and groggy. People would ask what I did over the weekend and in my head, I'd know, I did nothing but drink. I used to come home every night to a sink full of dishes. To me it was all so much of a chore, I simply didn't have enough time to do everything.
Then I gave up the thing wasting so much of my time- alcohol.
Now cooking, cleaning, everything is a lot more manageable. I'm able to get things done, clean, chill out, walk the dog, have a nap and do my craft projects ( that really help with depression and my general well weing)
I used to complain about trying to eat better and having it be so much work but it was the alcohol holding me back. It's 27days for me and everyday I've been up, had a breakfast (which was never the case whilst drinking), I've had a lunch ready to go to take to work and I've been on top of the dishes lol
It really is amazing getting the time back to enjoy and invest in me!
Old 07-07-2019, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats what I'm talking about . yes it feels good once the cobwebs get out of your head. Feel me and then if you think about it none of these things cost money to do the thing that did cost money was boozing. Oh and it gets better I'm on day 64. And like you said getting up for breakfast never happened didn't want to smell food because I had so much poison inside me coming out of my pores. Iwndwyt
Old 07-07-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love being sober. My favorite part of being sober is waking up feeling good.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

very nicely said. Thank you.