Notices

Daughter gave away my dog

Old 07-06-2019, 01:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daughter gave away my dog

While I was in ICU and during my recovery my daughter told me my dog was with her and her father being well looked after. She has since told me she has given the dog to a lovely couple and I can't have her back. I'm absolutely devastated as I've had this dog for 12 years.
I totally understand that she doesn't trust me, and I also understand that she wanted the dog to be in a secure place. I must say that even while I was drinking my friend walked my dogs (I still have my other one, not sure why she wasn't also taken) and they always had food, water and love.
I keep dreaming of her and waking up crying, I miss her smell and snuffly noises, it hurts so much.
It's made me determined not to drink however, as I want to prove her wrong and I also don't want to lose my other dog.
I feel like she's punishing me. We are still friends and I have to keep my feelings to myself because she refuses to discuss it, but this is the most pain I've felt in years and it's so easily resolved. I want my dog back, I'm worried that whoever has her doesn't know her little quirks, how sensitive she is to being told off (she is a bit incontinent), and how her hip hurts without her medicine. I've related this to my daughter but I get cut off if I mention the dog.
If it wasn't for my other dog I think I would give up and end it all, because I've been a very loving mother, successful nurse, I've rescued countless animals and tried to be a good person but it seems all I stand for now is booze.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry Daisy I know that must hurt.
I would be devastated.

I understand your daughter thought she was doing the right thing(and I do think its that and not punishment) but why are you trustworthy enough to keep one dog and not the other? It doesn't add up.

to me that's not something she can refuse to even discuss?

Whatever you do, you need to stay strong and sober. I always tell myself to be the person my pets think I am

D
Old 07-06-2019, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, but this made me bawl my eyes out. I don't know what I would do if it weren't for my pup. I have no idea of your situation or why your Daughter wouldn't give her back to you, but that isn't my business. The only thing you can do is to focus on recovery, then maybe your Daughter will see that you are serious and will return your pup...I don't know. My heart goes out to you and am sending prayers your way....
Old 07-06-2019, 02:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have asked her if Daisy is dead and is she too scared to tell me but she says no. Dee that's exactly it I also feel it doesn't add up and so do the rest of my family. I've toyed with the idea of involving the law but I can't face losing my daughter too, so I'm trying to continue loving her but I'm so angry with her below the surface. Daisy has been our beloved dog all this time I just don't know how she could let her go. I keep thinking that Daisy must wonder why she's with other people, I wonder if she dreams of me and misses me. She shares a bed with me I don't know if she sleeps all alone and cold, she really feels the cold. There's nothing I can do.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

She refuses to discuss it because it's 'bad for her mental health'.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Braebear it's ok to ask about my situation, basically I've been a great mum and always been very close to my kids and I still am (they are grown up now). They have only fairly recently known about my drinking as I functioned very well until my body caved in. They've been so supportive so this is a shock.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish I had some words of comfort Daisy but I don't.
I'm glad you're here among friends tho - use the support.

D
Old 07-06-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Daisy...I too had been a great Mom, I had 8 kids, who are all grown as well. My kids always knew about my drinking, as I didn't really think it would matter to them, but oh yes it did. None of them trust me, but they will. I just personally think she owes you an explanation, update, something. We aren't talking about a book, it is a living breathing being, and obviously very important to you AND possibly your recovery! Maybe tell her that...if not you, maybe someone she will listen to? I understand her protecting her mental health, but this is ALSO your mental health....keep me posted...my heart is breaking for you
Old 07-06-2019, 02:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

12 years? Screw the lovely couple, go and talk to them and tell them you're taking the dog back ffs.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This doesn't sound right at all. I would insist on knowing exactly what happened to your dog daisy.

Poor you and poor dog
Old 07-06-2019, 03:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

She won't tell me who has her - believe me if I knew I would camp on their doorstep until I had her back. I've really tried saying all of that to her but she refuses to discuss it. She says 'I will not discuss Daisy with you but I'm happy to discuss anything else'. I'm like who the hell is this person, this isn't my daughter! We have always been so straight with each other. She's coming for lunch, I will try and speak to her but I expect she will leave and I won't see her for ages. I will let you know how it goes xx thanks all
Old 07-06-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Personally I would get law enforcement involved. Court or cops or both. This would be my new mission in life and I would not care how it impacted your daughters mental health. Her mental health and relationship with you would be none of my concern till I got my dog back.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

your daughter stole your property and gave it to someone else- is that legal?
like abraham said,get the law involved. i think id be close to bodily injury to ANYONE that took my dog- even my son.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I’m sorry but this really pisses me off. I can’t imagine how it makes you feel. Pets, especially elderly pets, shouldn’t be put in the middle of any situation like this. Get her back at all costs and please keep us updated.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm scared she will drag my name through the mud regarding the alcohol and I will then never get her back.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

To each his own. It would not bother me one bit. Plus why would your daughter do that to you?
Old 07-06-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'd drag her ass through the mud while I was waiting for the cops to get there.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Daisy,

I’m so sorry that happened to you, and to your dog. I would try talking to her at lunch, and let her know that you’re planning on contacting law enforcement if she doesn’t provide the name and information for the couple she gave your dog to.

It doesn’t add up that she would give one of your dogs away, and not the other, and there doesn’t seem to be a reason for her to have done this at all. If you were neglecting or harming your pets that would be one thing, but that isn’t the case here. Was your dog sick? Do you think it’s possible something happened and she is scared to tell you?

I hope you’re able to get some answers today.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your daughter might be a sweet, well meaning person, but stealing someone’s dog and giving it away is a truly horrible, unfathomable thing to do. If my daughter did this to me, I’m not sure if I could move forward in my relationship with her until she either gets my dog back or honestly tells me what happened to her. She could at least tell you who has her so you can go deal with it yourself. I’m so, so sorry this happened; I can’t even imagine how broken hearted I would be.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Highly insensitive - can't believe how low folks can go these days. Alcoholic or not, this is too much.