Notices

Wrestling With Alcohol - Literally

Old 07-05-2019, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wrestling With Alcohol - Literally

Day 3 for me. Wanting to claw my eyes out or sell my soul for one bottle of vodka even though I physically feel great. Searched around the house. Nothing. Last minute dawned on me of a place above fridge - yes!! Enough for two decent drinks. But no. My 6'7 son saw me find it and gently wrestled it away from me. Poured it down the sink. I love him for it, but I wonder. Should he have done that or let it be my decision? Thoughts from anyone?

Day done. Time for bed. Tomorrow's another day. Thanks to all for listening. :-)
Old 07-05-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cali, I think what your son did came from love, for sure. Whether he should have or shouldn't have.....does it matter? It's done. I can tell you from my experience that taking my husband's vodka never resulted in anything positive. If he wanted to drink it, he'd just go out and buy more...and probably stash some. Him quitting had to be his choice....me trying to "help" just caused more problems.

I hope you have a good nights rest. Stay strong!
Old 07-05-2019, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smart move on his part. Wow thats an eye opener for real. I get it. We are sick. You know deep down what those two little drinks would have done for you right it would start a vicious cycle all over again then what hungover feeling like crap saying you're not going to do it again you know what I mean it gets old got to break the cycle move forward get healthy get your mind right everything else will fall into place
Old 07-05-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

one might see it as a truly sad situation that a child (no matter how tall) has to wrestle a bottle of booze away from their parent in an effort to try and keep them sober.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thus the eye opener remark. It is a trip what our boozer minds will do........break that cycle.......one day at a time .........
Old 07-05-2019, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
one might see it as a truly sad situation that a child (no matter how tall) has to wrestle a bottle of booze away from their parent in an effort to try and keep them sober.
What a brutally fabulous remark! Yeah, definitely a truly sad situation. Thanks for the kick in the ass. I needed that.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

He was brave to do that. He made a statement, I hope you heed it.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's exactly what I would have done when my mom was in the throes of her alcoholism. I used to search out her hiding places and dump stuff. Did it get her sober? No, but it was the right thing for me to do at the time, and a loving yet indeed brutal thing for your son to do- and be living with.

I can also chime in that pouring mine out or finding MY hiding spots did nothing to stop me, when the tables were turned and I was living with my parents, and my mom did the same.

You are the one who can stay sober- which he helped you do last night. I see hope mixed in with his hurt and such.

Don't drink - today. You can do it.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Your son was willing to do whatever it took to keep you from drinking.

You should be willing to do the same. Whatever it takes.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, whatever it takes. Anvil gave me the slap I needed to say "WTF am I doing?" I have knee surgery on Weds and there's a huge risk involved. I have a wonderful relationship with all three of my grown boys. I wasn't ready to stop, but knew I had to for both reasons. Last night was a huge wake-up call to not just stop until I recover, but forever. Thanks for the words of kindness and encouragement.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SO much more wonderful comes when we are sober. Especially in our relationships. Best to you for the surgery!
Old 07-06-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaliButterfly View Post
Day 3 for me. Wanting to claw my eyes out or sell my soul for one bottle of vodka even though I physically feel great. Searched around the house. Nothing. Last minute dawned on me of a place above fridge - yes!! Enough for two decent drinks. But no. My 6'7 son saw me find it and gently wrestled it away from me. Poured it down the sink. I love him for it, but I wonder. Should he have done that or let it be my decision? Thoughts from anyone?

Day done. Time for bed. Tomorrow's another day. Thanks to all for listening. :-)
its done and be grateful no one got hurt. But, I don’t think loved ones should pull a bottle away from an alcoholic. It causes violent struggles and exacerbates emotional pain. Sometimes when I look back on all the drama I wonder if my husband backed off at least physically if it wouldn’t have gotten as bad as it did.

When I was at my worst my husband took my booze and dumped it. I drove to the store, got more and carefully hid it. He was waiting for me and demanded the booze. I denied all accusations and he threw me up against a wall ripping the car keys I had out of my hand. I struggled to get the keys back because I knew he was going to hide them from me. Amongst the struggle he threw me off of him and I hit my head on the door knob of the front door resulting in a concussion.

He felt bad and we went to bed but I probably should’ve of went to the hospital that night. I was drunk so my brain was already inflamed and I had a concussion.

Worst part is I drank that hidden booze later on that week and nothing changed till I decided I was done. I could share 100s of stories similar to this one.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you keep drinking alcoholically, there will come a time when you won't feel okay at all on day 3.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What your son did may be the catylist you needed, or it may not. Time will tell. Hope for your sake nobody needs to wrestle a bottel from you again.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
If you keep drinking alcoholically, there will come a time when you won't feel okay at all on day 3.
i don’t think Cali was at all okay on day 3.. they got in a physical altercation with their son over a small bit of booze. Good news is it does get better the longer those sober days get stringed together.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post

its done and be grateful no one got hurt. But, I don’t think loved ones should pull a bottle away from an alcoholic. It causes violent struggles and exacerbates emotional pain. Sometimes when I look back on all the drama I wonder if my husband backed off at least physically if it wouldn’t have gotten as bad as it did.

When I was at my worst my husband took my booze and dumped it. I drove to the store, got more and carefully hid it. He was waiting for me and demanded the booze. I denied all accusations and he threw me up against a wall ripping the car keys I had out of my hand. I struggled to get the keys back because I knew he was going to hide them from me. Amongst the struggle he threw me off of him and I hit my head on the door knob of the front door resulting in a concussion.

He felt bad and we went to bed but I probably should’ve of went to the hospital that night. I was drunk so my brain was already inflamed and I had a concussion.

Worst part is I drank that hidden booze later on that week and nothing changed till I decided I was done. I could share 100s of stories similar to this one.
I can see your point of view and I got into similar, if lesser scale, altercations.

I don't blame the people who we're trying to stop me drinking tho...they were at their wits end with me?

There's my part in it too - I was fighting over a bottle? I still shake my head at that.

Looking back I'm glad they at least tried to stop me.
The people I moved onto later only encouraged my self destruction.

D
Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Back up a bit guys. It was nowhere near an altercation. He gave me a bear hug and said I couldn't drink. He didn't pry it out of my hands or anything, just told me I wanted to stay sober and keep surgery in mind. I relaxed, he let go, and I gave it to him. It was loving and there was no anger involved whatsoever. We have a harmonious household and he is a passive soul. Looking back, he handled it perfectly and I am grateful he did. A bottle, really? smh

Day 5 coming to a close. Since that event, I can't let him down because he knows how much I want this for myself. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and encouragement. Namaste
Old 07-07-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had to chuckle when folks turned it into a violent confrontation when you said yourself originally that he gently wrestled it away and you loved him for it.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I can see your point of view and I got into similar, if lesser scale, altercations.

I don't blame the people who we're trying to stop me drinking tho...they were at their wits end with me?

There's my part in it too - I was fighting over a bottle? I still shake my head at that.

Looking back I'm glad they at least tried to stop me.
The people I moved onto later only encouraged my self destruction.

D
i don’t blame anyone either. I just don’t think violence is ever an answer. The therapist we were seeing also told my husband not to argue, name call, or physically intervene with anyone under the influence bc that person is not in their right mind and it will only lead to more trouble.

Im grateful I’m the only one who was physically damaged in these alterations and I’m glad the OP’s son is okay too.

Stay away from a drunk and if you have too call the police.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
I had to chuckle when folks turned it into a violent confrontation when you said yourself originally that he gently wrestled it away and you loved him for it.
OP asked if someone should take a bottle or let the alcoholic decide to dump it. I gave my opinion of what could happen if someone should physically intervene. I’m glad this was a gentle altercation. Hopefully no more next times.