Notices

Some Drunk People Are Victims...

Old 07-05-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some Drunk People Are Victims...

And never found a way to deal with the trauma of assault ans PTSD.

We are beyond boring.

We are coping as best as we can. Some are so boring theyre nearly catatonic.

But we came here because we are desperate to cling to a shred of hope.

Ask my ex husband how "boring" I was. Never a dull moment
Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Many of us have past trauma but keeping on drinking isn't going to solve anything . We can only heal and move forward when we stop drinking. It's easy to stay in victim mode and be full of self pity but that wont help
Old 07-05-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember hearing at an early AA meeting to “live in the solution not in the problem”. This was/is key for my recovery from alcoholism.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dandelion I know you are really hurting. And when someone is actively drinking and in so much pain its really hard to know what to say. And if you don't want to be reached, you won't be.

I have deep empathy for your suffering. And I think many of us here have suffered quite a lot. At the hands of others, or by our own hands.

Trauma. Victimization. Its a thing. But it is not an excuse to drink. That's just the bottom line that I had to face in order to start to learn to cope with life. And I hated that...cause that was my reason to keep drinking.

Trauma does not equal alcoholism. Alcoholism equals alcoholism. When you're ready to change, truly ready to stop the cycle, there is lots of help available.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thing is drinking doesn't help any situation, more often than not in times of depression, anxiety or really any mental illness/ PTSD as a result of anothers actions- it makes everything so much more worse!

Plus no one is calling anyone boring.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I found that there is a way to fix just about anything if you are willing to go through the effort. Sorry you haven't found it yet in regards to your PTSD and trauma, but there is a way. Unfortunately drinking alcohol is not only the wrong way, but it also removes most of the options for help. I hope you can find the resolve to quit drinking and seek the help for your other issues.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I believe one should first get sober and stay sober for a substantial period before dissecting the reasons for one’s alcoholism. For some the causes matter and for others not. For me the end result is alcoholism and the solution sobriety. The causes are just interesting by-products.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are not alone. I suffer from PTSD from nearly being beat to death. We must overcome this, drinking only keeps us in victim mode and re victimization of ourselves. Stay strong and get through it. Hugs 🤗
Old 07-05-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
I believe one should first get sober and stay sober for a substantial period before dissecting the reasons for one’s alcoholism. For some the causes matter and for others not. For me the end result is alcoholism and the solution sobriety. The causes are just interesting by-products.
I could not agree more. It really doesn't matter why you drank. Sometimes looking for those reasons does more harm than good, like you're just fishing for an excuse to start drinking again. What matters is that drinking is bad for you and will kill you and severely mess your life up as it does that.

Dandelion, I know you are in a lot of pain, but you're not alone in this. Life is full of trauma, drama, and bumps and bruises. The First Noble Truth of Buddhism is "To live is to suffer." Drinking won't kill your pain; it will make it worse. I hope you find your way out.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was told I need to think of reasons NOT to DRINK...instead of reasons to drink....