Notices

6 Months

Old 07-05-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 Months

Thank you all for sharing your experiences here. I haven't posted much, but I check in a few times a week and find it's helpful to remind me of my commitment to myself. I can't say the past six months have been easy, as I've had a few things in my personal life go pretty ******, BUT not drinking has been the biggest help in managing it all. I feel better physically, mentally, and emotionally for it and that helps me remember that "just one drink" is not going to serve me in any positive way. Not in the short term, and definitely not in the long term.

So thanks all! You've been a big help in hitting this goal. Now, on to another sober day.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Huge congrats on your 6 months. Yes you are right alcohol never helps in any bad situation and you have got through 6 months of life’s ups and downs. Keep going your doing great
Old 07-05-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I check in less and less these days too.

I am getting better at managing my self and am not as haunted by my years of relapses etc.

Sometimes lately I post 5 times a day, or other times I skip a week.

I rationalize that I am paying it forward, but deep down inside I know I need the therapy.

By any means necessary.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Snap! A few of us are reaching six months around now, so well done. I’m finding it easier as time goes on, although the hot weather has created a few urges of late. I’ll have to ignore these as I know I can’t drink ever again.

How’s your six months been?

Be careful all, no complacency 🙂
Old 07-05-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations KeepingUp

D
Old 07-05-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I am seeing a need to be mindful of my sobriety efforts. I've been in some tempting situations and while I haven't felt a strong urge to drink, I've still gotten that semi-sadness at "missing out" and I know that can morph into real cravings if I'm not careful. I spoke with a therapist for the first month or so. I don't know that the offered too much, but it was nice to dump my feelings on them either way. I don't go to meetings or anything, but I do spend time reflecting on what I want my life to be like and what I DON'T want it to be like, and I don't want to be what I was.

I'm one of those people who can easily go weeks without drinking, but then when I do, all hell breaks loose. Maybe I handle my drinks well a few times, but eventually I'll get plastered, make a fool of myself, feel like literal death the next day and then spend weeks depressed at having been in the cycle again. I'd really like to not do that ever again. Life is too short. So, I just try to play the tape forward when I've spent any time feeling sorry for myself, reflect on the good in my life (especially the no-hangover good!) and if I'm still feeling down, just let myself be down and try to get a good night's sleep to feel better in the morning. Mostly, I'm just "rebranding" myself as a non-drinker. Since I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle in every other aspect, it's been mostly easy for my friends to accept without too much questioning.

A few weeks ago I was actually with a friend and her pre-teen daughter was there. Friend's SO (step-dad to daughter) offered me a beer, which I declined. The daughter stated to him that I only drink on special occasions and I recalled that she has probably only seen me drink once, at her mom's wedding, where I got drunk and luckily did not embarrass myself. The daughter has seen the negative effects of alcohol through a number of people in her life and doesn't like adults drinking, or getting drunk, and I realized that it's actually really important to me to be a good example for her and eventually my other friends' kids, not to mention if I ever have my own. I don't do the 12 steps or higher power thing, but I guess that feeling is about as close as I'll get, just wanting to be my best self for something bigger than myself.

So thank you again! Looking forward to revisiting my efforts, seeing what I can do to continue to stay strong and build my new alcohol-free life. Besides gratitude, I make sure to exercise, eat healthy, get sleep, leave parties early, and check in here as much as I need to. I've tried these things before and eventually slid back, but now that I'm at my longest sobriety in my adult life, I'm eager to keep it that way.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 07-05-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on 6 mo! And getting to be sober and different and healthy around kids in our lives is such a gift.