Notices

What were the best parts of when you quit.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What were the best parts of when you quit.

I'm asking as someone who is just starting out. What were the milestones of days that really gave you that "I am a sober person now."
In the last maybe 5 years, I've done a few days here and there and the longest has been about 10 days. I felt like a million dollars.

10 days is my longest for now in recent history. I did over a month like 10 years ago and so angry that I started again. I'm on day 2 and looking forward to being better.

Thanks for any support.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best part was waking up feeling good - so different to how I used to wake up. The next best part was after a few weeks sober my sleep was so much better. Last, but not least, was that I was sober to care for my dogs and cats as they deserved, not slip-shod neglect.

Another favorite part of being sober for me is no longer wanting to drink. I attribute that in large part to practicing gratitude every day.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best part of waking up nice and fresh no hangover ready for the day I had 58 days today when I tell you what I wouldn't trade it for the world
Old 07-01-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Meant to say I have 58 days today
Old 07-01-2019, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first thing that always comes to mind for me on this is not feeling shame when I see a picture of myself. Not because I look different or better, but because I’m rooting for the person I see and am proud of myself for cutting a needless (but very powerful) distraction out of my life.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The pink cloud.
I love that feeling where expectations a blown away and you feel suddenly like you can do anything, where there is spring to your step and you can feel your own smile and hear your own laughter.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The best part is regaining control and getting your life back after having it stolen away by addiction.

Keep going Needshelp.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lots of benefits but maybe my favourite is that I like myself now. I am not full of shame and remorse for my bad behaviours.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I like the fact that my life is not full of self inflicted drama and extreme emotional swings of mood. I never wake up feeling sick or guilty/ashamed anymore, I can think before I react. I can also choose my battles wisely whereas before I was in battle with everyone and everything including myself lol. xx
Old 07-02-2019, 01:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sleep like a baby, can eat way more (no weight gain) and no aches and pains.

The more time goes by (I’ve just passed six months), the more I realise it’ll be an ongoing battle, though. This hot weather has brought on a few urges, albeit minor. They pass after a few minutes, and whilst these urges are weaker than when I was drinking, I reckon they’ll pop up periodically for the rest of my days.

What to do? As people get older, they accept they can’t run as fast or attract members of the opposite sex, even though they may want to do both. I’ll add not being able to drink to my list.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All of the above.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I like the fact that my life is not full of self inflicted drama and extreme emotional swings of mood. I never wake up feeling sick or guilty/ashamed anymore, I can think before I react. I can also choose my battles wisely whereas before I was in battle with everyone and everything including myself lol. xx
​​​​​​
This!!!
I could have argued withy shadow. Drink just twisted everything. Id Id mad and everyone and myself and for what? It served no purpose, nothing good ever came out of it.
I've noticed that I'd definitely chilled a bit, yes things can still irk me but I don't respond the way I used to and I feel better for it.
As well as that, best bits include- waking up without feeling like crap, my days are filled full of activities. I feel better, my skin is better.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Actual sleep. Not passing out and waking up in terror and withdrawling. My face got clearer and less red. I lost a bit of weight. I gained confidence. Clarity. Resolve.
You're doing great at 10 days!
Jules
Old 07-02-2019, 02:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One of many I was just thinking of before I came on here was not waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning no matter what time I passed out being terrified of the day ahead. I’ve been working in the same field for almost twenty years but would be nervous/anxious that I wouldn’t be able to do my job. Strange but true. All of my anxiety is now gone and I sleep like a baby.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needshelp111 View Post
What were the milestones of days that really gave you that "I am a sober person now."
This morning the first thing that comes to mind, is not being controlled by a chemical substance. It's not the same thing as having control myself. Sure, I want that, but it's not at the top of my list of needs, and I don't think about it much. But being controlled by a foreign substance that caused me to act in ways I regret was ruthlessly oppressive. Escaping from that was like finding out I had wings and flying off into a world of freedom, a world filled with things to be grateful for.

If you asked me tomorrow, it could very well be something else. I doubt that it's the same for everyone, but there are surprises and unanticipated events all along the way that have the potential to delight. Experiencing recovery yourself is more intense and satisfying than any description another person can give you.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 61 was the largest milestone and most memorable "oh sh*t" moment. The light came on. It was truly the turning point, cannot stress enough. Something changed and I realized I don't have to do this anymore.

"Don't quit before the miracle happens" - some podcast guy said this (prob credit to AA, I don't know)
Old 07-02-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sober sleep
clear eyes & skin
no drama
lots of energy
being able to communicate clearly
Old 07-02-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There are many things like sleeping well and eating well. One thing that I realized when I quit is that an active drinker is in alcoholic jail. A million reasons you CAN'T do something because your drunk, hungover, passed out etc....in sobriety you CAN do anything because your not drunk/hungover etc...this leads to a much more productive and interesting life. my 2 cents.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Lots of good answers here.

Somewhere along the way there was an attitude shift that occurred at the same time people's perceptions of me changed. Around 3-6 months into sobriety I felt that I was on the right path and this time I was really committed to a better life.

That was also the same time my loved ones started acting differently around me. In the beginning family and friends would cautiously call and check up on me to make sure I wasn't going to fall off the wagon. When I became confident in my program and growing into my sober skin I could tell they were proud of me for making progress.

There are no words to properly express how awesome it feels when loved ones look at you with pride after disappointing them for so many years.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

To start with, not having the hangovers and lost and wasted days because of them. After a few weeks, I started to look and feel better physically. My skin looked so much better, I started to lose weight (especially around the middle) without even trying, my sleep improved. I was on an emotional rollercoaster for several months, but ultimately I became more balanced emotionally. I have a better relationship with my family, especially my son. Overall, the biggest improvement I’ve noticed is my sense of well being and peace, and living authentically in line with my values and purpose.

None of this came about solely from getting sober from alcohol. While this was the driving force, it has also taken a lot of deep work on myself and changing my thoughts, behaviors and habits, which I needed to do for long term sobriety.