Notices

Slippery Slope 3

Old 07-01-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slippery Slope 3

I'm a 65 year old male. I was sober from September 2007 until around October of 2015 or 2016, I can't remember. I took a trip to Mexico and let my guard down. My drinking has gotten progressively worse. I started drinking last Thursday night and ended up in bed on a bender until yesterday, consuming almost 2 liters of Absolut. I barely had anything to eat. My wife took off and went to my daughter's house yesterday because she was afraid of what I might do in that state. She came back last night after I sobered up. I promised her I would get help again. I think if I don't sober up she may try to leave me. I've treated her like **** lately. We've been together over 40 years.

I was a member of the old WQD (We quit drinking) forum for all the years I was sober. I know these forums work for me. I remember a lot of the tricks and tips I used to stay sober back then. Hopefully putting them down into words here will help me stay sober, and hopefully help some of the other members. I know that in order to help myself I have to help others, too.

I'm trying to put myself back together today, resting, drinking fluids, resuming eating. Coming here.

My head still hurts and my eyes itch and I feel fat. I know I will start to feel better in a few days and I know it's that feeling of "I can handle it" that will rear its ugly head and try to trick me. The AV.

I'm starting over basically from scratch. Any and all help will be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Joe.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Joe! I know how you feel cause when I started drinking again, it was after 20 yrs of sobriety. I couldn't believe I'd fallen back into the trap. But I finally got sober again and this winter I'll have 10 yrs sober.

Use the support here to build a recovery plan that will get you thru those 'F it' times when you're tempted to drink.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Joe, and I'm glad you found us.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m glad you are back Joe!
Old 07-01-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Thanks for sharing your story Joe. I have about 8 years of sobriety in me. Thanks for reminding me how you have to constantly be on guard. My wife and kids are leaving tomorrow on a trip for 2 weeks. It would be easy to say, oh how about one. It’s a holiday weekend.....
My thoughts are with you. Keep posting!
Old 07-01-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice choice. We all behind you. You have way more experience in this matter than I so I will look forward to your posts.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Joe

I was never a member but I know there's a few WQD folks here

D
Old 07-01-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yea, I remember that forum. I'm not sure if I was a member or not and had forgot all about that place.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, Joe. You found a welcoming & friendly community.

I understand how you feel. I once had 3 yrs. sober, after drinking most of my life. I decided to have a little wine one night. When it didn't seem to harm me, I drank again the next day - and off I went. It took me 7 yrs. of drinking to finally decide to regain my sobriety. My life was in shambles - I was losing everything. That's when I found SR. The understanding & support meant I was never truly alone with the fight. It worked - I have 11 yrs. sober. You can reclaim your life too.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

the wqd forum didn't talk about the fact the relapse looms forever?

Hope to see you around.

i have dealt with morphing craves for the last 4 years. The come and go, and usually fade around 6 pm.

My wife was hanging with me as I fretted over some made up issue. My health is better than ever, I have my finances in order. Life is perfect.

Yet I still have this ache. It has faded over the years now that I quit being a drunk.

Thanks God. It was getting worse and worse. You know, the irreversible brain damage. It never gets better, I just go used to it.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great to have you Joe.

The good thing about having done this before is you know you can.

Welcome, and keepa go
Old 07-01-2019, 09:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and kind words! I'm really excited to have found SR and will do my best to behave myself and contribute as much as I can! I can't access my old journals from WQD and the site is long gone but I'm sure the best ideas will start coming back. Have a great night or day.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll like it here Joe. Any questions - just ask 'em

D
Old 07-02-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's good to have you here, Joe. Your story broke my heart. It didn't happen to me, but I felt like it did. I'm so sorry you took the bait from your AV, and got so sick, while disappointing your wife. You can pull yourself together, but a real danger of episodes like this is that damage can be done that is not repairable (like a broken marriage). Let's hope for a speedy recovery.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome Joe!
Old 07-02-2019, 04:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

• Good morning well you fell off your horse dust your knees off get your rest and let's do this brother it can be done you know it it's okay you came to the right people I have 59 days right now feeling pretty good
Old 07-02-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If I stop incorporating my program of recovery
that was taught to me a many one days sober
ago, in my everyday life, then there goes 28 yrs
of building a foundation to live upon step by step
and receiving many rewarding achievements, blessings
and gifts.

Remaining sober and incorporating those recovery
tools on a continuous bases has become a way of
life for me and to rest on my own will and laurels
would eventually lead me to a complete downfall,
drunk or possibly death.

Pull yourself together, listen, learn, absorb and
apply helpful recovery tools and knowledge of
addiction and recovery to achieve health, happiness
and sobriety for many more day sober ahead of
you.

Support, understanding and care sent your way.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 2. Slept a little better last night but woke up drenched in sweat twice. My wife is so supportive of me. I told her this morning that I'd probably be dead without her and she said she remembered me telling her that before. Going to meet my daughter for a cup of coffee after lunch and try to make amends with her. I really pushed the envelope too far with my drinking this time. When I quit back in 2007 I remember people telling me I was a high-bottom drunk. This time I think I'm a medium-bottom drunk as I have some serious financial issues to deal with caused by my drunkenness and lack of attention. I don't know why I push myself to the brink like that. All this being said I feel positive and thankful today. I appreciate so much the kindness I've received here, it means the world to me.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's going to be ok, Joe. You never have to go through this again.