Notices

Day 48 sober. Why do I feel sad?

Old 06-28-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Day 48 sober. Why do I feel sad?

I should be so happy! I’m not drinking anymore, my kids and husband are happy about it. I even went to my first party last night and survived with just water in my hand! Why do I feel so blah? 😞
Old 06-28-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It takes time for our brains to heal and get back to normal functioning. If you're still feeling depressed after a few more months, I'd suggest asking your doctor about it. Some depression can be resolved by not drinking, but some needs therapy and/or meds.

Congrats on 48 days sober!

I would also suggest that you start practicing gratitude every day. That's been the biggest help in my sobriety. Makes me happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 06-28-2019, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As someone who is on day 49 so 48 days sober I feel it is because we are yet to really start our new sober life. We have been healing focusing on recovery but takes time to start living a new life. Not to mention cleaning up messes that alcohol has left behind can be draining just my thoughts! Hope you feel better soon!
Old 06-28-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is difficult to find meaning in anything. There is perhaps none. But without alcohol we get a chance to try and enjoy the mundane. It probably will never be more than that.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time. I've been sober over ten years and I have days where I feel sad and blah.
Sometimes, I think, it happens to everyone even non-drinkers.
I hope it passes soon.
Best to you.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're like me you drank for years Ismilealot - it's going to take a little time for mind and body to heal

I started seeing real changes around the 90 mark - you're doing great so far

D
Old 06-28-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Google anehdonia. Its a 'thing' for us early on as the brain heals. Dopamine can take a while to regulate and start to release with 'normal' fun activities. Our addiction kind of 'hijacks' those receptors so stuff that would normally be uplifting just isn't. Resulting in the 'blahs'.

For me vigorous exercise speeds the healing process up. Or just any activity that gets the heart pumping and/or connects me with the outdoors.

Hang in there.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

It was all about dopamine. I took months to normalize. The whole time, the crave lingers.

It is still there today.

But, I deal with life drug free, minus some supplements. I stay clean by any means necessary.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ismilealot View Post
I should be so happy! I’m not drinking anymore, my kids and husband are happy about it. I even went to my first party last night and survived with just water in my hand! Why do I feel so blah? 😞
Welcome to the human race, you are normal. Emotions/feelings are temporary. Values are more important than our feelings. You should value yourself for your actions. Look for other high value behavior in life that will empower you. To each his own but exercise, music, writing, etc. Remember for years your values have centered around the quick fix or mood changer of alcohol. You have probably been on autopilot. It takes months to change.

We need purpose in life to be happy. We need values to find our purpose.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Thank you everyone

I appreciate everyone’s kindness and advice. Happy 4th of July!
Old 07-04-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happy 4th and great job on 48 days! Like Dee and others said, it takes awhile for everything to settle and stabilize- emotions for sure. Learning to deal with blah and "just OK" was one of the hardest things for me. I'd gotten so used to ups and downs, drama and anxiety.....

You're early - keep going - life gets clearer and better, plus we learn how to handle good, bad and in-between without drinking.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sober people have feelings too.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

things get flat, too. you will go through all kinds of stages....physical and mental....relax, this is normal healing!!
Old 07-04-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The fact that you are allowing yourself to feel- without alcohol- is in itself a win.

The fact that you are feeling sad- without a specific cause- is better than feeling the emotion due to regret over continuing to drink.

Remember why you chose to lead life alcohol free, keep in mind that you are just beginning to build your “sober muscles”, and continue to look for the beauty, power, and hope in the journey.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Because 48 days ago you probably said good bye to one of your best buddies (alcohol). Now that he's been gone for a while, you selectively remember the good times - thus making you feel sad.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
As someone who is on day 49 so 48 days sober I feel it is because we are yet to really start our new sober life. We have been healing focusing on recovery but takes time to start living a new life. Not to mention cleaning up messes that alcohol has left behind can be draining just my thoughts! Hope you feel better soon!
thanks! Wow, we are a day apart! We’re almost at 2 months now.👍🏻
Old 07-07-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
It is difficult to find meaning in anything. There is perhaps none. But without alcohol we get a chance to try and enjoy the mundane. It probably will never be more than that.
Thanks for your reply to my thread, how are you doing?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Congratulations on your sober time. I've been sober over ten years and I have days where I feel sad and blah.
Sometimes, I think, it happens to everyone even non-drinkers.
I hope it passes soon.
Best to you.
thank you. Wow, ten years. Did you change what friends you hung out with when you stopped drinking?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you're like me you drank for years Ismilealot - it's going to take a little time for mind and body to heal

I started seeing real changes around the 90 mark - you're doing great so far

D
thanks, Dee. I’m almost to two months now. 🤞🏻How long have you been sober?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
Google anehdonia. Its a 'thing' for us early on as the brain heals. Dopamine can take a while to regulate and start to release with 'normal' fun activities. Our addiction kind of 'hijacks' those receptors so stuff that would normally be uplifting just isn't. Resulting in the 'blahs'.

For me vigorous exercise speeds the healing process up. Or just any activity that gets the heart pumping and/or connects me with the outdoors.

Hang in there.
hi Entropy. I really liked your reply to my thread. I’m a nurse, so I appreciate the pathophysiology of your answer. Makes sense. Thanks again!