Notices

An alcoholic friend

Old 06-27-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An alcoholic friend

Had a visit today from an old friend my sisters and I grew up with. I didn't know what kind of problems she had but now know what is causing them. She has a drinking problem but doesn't think it's bad. It really was awful to hear all the problems she had and know what could make them better (not drinking). I felt compelled to help her but I know she doesn't want the help. She made it clear that she's ok with the drinking she does and doesn't plan on stopping. She offered me a beer more than once. She brought a 12 pk with her. I politely declined. I never liked to be a social drinker. I usually drank at home when the day was over to numb my anxiety and sleep.

Just a sad situation.

On the upside, it helped me to be more determined to stay sober. I hope one day she realizes that there's more to life.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your old friend PB - I hope she finds her way to recovery.
I am glad you're doing well

D
Old 06-28-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate. It's tough to see loved ones struggling, but as you know, you can't do anything for them except maybe plant a seed, "You know, maybe if you tried a month sober you might like it."
Old 06-28-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a good friend who is alcoholic and knows it is ruining his life. Even though on day 49 he has been nothing but supportive in terms of me giving up drinking and hopes to give it up himself. I think the best way to help an alcoholic friend in need is to live by example. When they see an ex alcoholic friend really transform their life they might give sobriety a real chance!
Old 06-28-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It’s hard to sit in the shadows and watch but there isnt anything we can do to make them change. They need to want it for themselves.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah that's a tough one but at least throw a Lifeline if they need it and good quote saying show them by example you know what I mean maybe that'll flip the script
Old 06-28-2019, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very good thoughts

ImNotThatGuy, that's a good idea. When the time is right I might suggest that. Right now I know she absolutely does not want to give up drinking right now.

NB421, I'm hoping so.

AtLast9999, I was thinking about it later on and thought the same thing. She needs to want it in order get sober.

SoberRican, I'm hoping it'll flip the switch for sure! It's no fun knowing what can help her situation and not want the help.