Notices

Craving came out of nowhere????

Old 06-25-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving came out of nowhere????

Swimming along nicely at 3 months sober but today almost drowned by having a strong craving to buy alcohol which came out of nowhere.

This is the longest I have been sober in 10 years and am pleased to say I have not caved in to the craving and have not drank.

I haven’t had any cravings in the last 2 months but am now finding things hard.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Crazy how that can happen but thanks for reminding me. I'm only 16 days in but I have read about the dreaded 2 or 3 month content monster.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you were able to fight it off.

Cravings to tend to appear at random at times. Best have all the tools ready at all times.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three months sober! And good for you for ignoring the craving.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you for ignoring it and fantastic on 3 months.
I'm 8 weeks so must keep strong in case the monster strikes
Old 06-25-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stable - congrats on 3 months

yeah a lot of people get poleaxed by a craving they don't expect. I really recommend making a recovery action plan - just have it there ticking over

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

D
Old 06-25-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice post dee with some great links.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What Dee said!

What tools or program are you using to learn how to make choices that aren't drinking?

I've been bizarrely, incredibly fortunate to never have had a physical craving. The only actual kinda sorta maybe idea to plan to go to a place and drink happened on day 90. That's my crazy alcoholic mind.

Each of us have different experiences and it might make you feel encouraged that you are very normal - I hear people at meetings with much more sobriety than you or me share that they (still) have them. It's what we about them that matters.

Great job not drinking, on three months - keep going.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've had cravings come out of nowhere. I'm actually surprised that one took so long to show up in your case. At any rate, fight them like you fought the old ones. This doesn't represent a step backwards in your recovery. Cravings just show up from time to time, and while one may be especially intense, the over all trend is downward.

It's not unusual to have a rough time 3 months into recovery. Like the rest of our lives we have good days and bad. Sometimes a bad week. And you are dealing with an addiction that has been described as cunning, baffling, and powerful. It's not really cunning or baffling, but sometimes it seems like it. What's really cunning and baffling is how or bodies and minds react to the addiction. Don't be discouraged. Well OK, you can be a little discouraged, but keep in mind that what you are experiencing is a normal part of the process.

Dee mentioned the need for a plan. I don't want to over simplify, because the overall plan my be more detailed, but in this particular case, the plan should include knowing that superficially appearing setbacks are normal, and not to react to them by drinking. There is nothing permanent about what you are going through. The journey is sometimes a bumpy road.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can recall the intense craving I experienced at 2 months. I was chopping lettuce and along cake my AV, screaming at me. It totally threw me. I was participating in a mundane activity, not even tied to any previous drinking experiences. And I couldn’t shake it.

I stopped chopping the lettuce and logged into SR and wrote about my craving.

The lovely folks here here helped me get through it, reminded me that it was normal to experience cravings, and reminded me to use the tools in my recovery toolbox.

I haven't had a craving that intense after that. I think it’s because I have an action plan in place and a support system here on SR.

Keep posting and seeking support. We’re all in this together and can help.