Notices

Lost a pet

Old 06-22-2019, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost a pet

Even though our dog was a pet, she seemed more than JUST a pet. We had to put our dog to sleep today. We got her shortly before I became pregnant with my daughter 11 years ago. So my daughter and our dog grew up together. It truly broke my daughters heart. She was the most obedient dog I have ever come acrossed. She was a Transylvanian Hound, not common in the U.S. She was so easy to train and such a wonderful personality. The past 3 days her health was steadily declining. She knew and so did we. So normally she would be outside, but I let her come inside and spend more time with us. I thought maybe it would cheer her up and that there might be a small chance she would improve. I hadn't realized at the time, but she would always be sitting at or around my daughters feet. It breaks my heart knowing she was still protecting my family even though she was on her way out. The devotion and love she showed....I just can't describe how it made me feel. When our son came along, she would army crawl over to my kids so as to not scare them (she was a 80-90 lb dog) just to be next to them. She would let my son crawl on or over her, and she would just be still, like they were her own kids. She knew he was a baby and was so gentle. But now she is gone, and a void is with my family. If I think about it too much the pain gets too great. I don't need another endless anxiety attack like last night so I beat myself to it and I'll be starting over tomorrow....again.
2 less beers in the fridge and off to bed I go.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your lose. It is truly heartbreaking when a dog dies, they are such a big part of the family.

She was clearly extremely cherished.

I still miss my little Jack Russell that past 3 years ago despite still having two others so I do understand how you feel.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a dog and she is literally my best friend. I live alone and they are really more than just dogs. I'm so sorry for your lost but it sounded like she was treasured and had a good life.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

PrayBreathe - my sincere sympathy to you in this sharp grief.
Wishing you the comfort of happy memories.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry to hear that! Reading your story pulled at my heart. My prayers are with you and your family for all your healing.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

My heart goes out to you and I know all to well how you’re feeling and it’s heartbreaking. I never refer to the animals in my family as pets, they are family members to me and always will be. I get offended when others refer to them as pets too but keep that to myself as people will just think I am a weirdo.

I guess in one way the pain of the loss is the price for the joy you have been able to have with her. Often we can be scared to truly love as we are too afraid of the loss that may come, but to live life never loving deeply for fear of it ending is such a wasted life. She has helped you truly live with an open heart.

I know when I lost my buddy I had been with for 15 years there wasn’t really anything that anyone could say that made me feel much better. My heart was absolutely broken and it was a physical pain too. So all I can say from across the pond is I am sorry you are having to feel this, your not alone and I get it. Be kind to yourself and take care xx
Old 06-23-2019, 04:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many people don't understand our love of our pets, but I have felt as much grief losing a dog as I have with the death of a family member. If you love your pet, you form a meaningful bond. My last dog was put down 20 years ago, and while the grief is gone, I still think about him often with both sadness and joy. We spent days and days together, just the two of us hiking in the mountains, and he was always excited to go. You'd think I was taking him to Disneyland or something, even though he must have understood that it was going to take him a couple of days of laying around to recuperate. While I was enjoying the scenery and solitude, he seemed to be in it for the smells. We both loved the forest, but in different ways.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Karate girl

I am so sorry for your loss, PrayBreathe. Sending love and prayers to you and your daughter.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you chose to drink at this, and I hope you can get back to non-drinking today.

The last animal I lost was a little over a year ago and it was so hard. I chose to eat a lot of junk food instead of drinking over it, and I'm glad I did. Not that junk food is a solution, but it's better than alcohol.

It took me about three days to start feeling okay about it. I know it was his time. I hope you heal quickly.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the kind and comforting words.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss it's heartbreaking, my dog is my furry child and I love her to bits. I'm sure she's having lots of fun across the rainbow bridge and is waiting for you to be together again.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for the loss of your beloved pet, and I'm sorry that you decided to drink. I hope that today is a better day for you.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm very sorry for the loss of your beloved pet, and I'm sorry that you decided to drink. I hope that today is a better day for you.
Thank you. Today seems to be a better day. Just taking one moment at a time.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

PrayBreathe - I googled the breed, & they are gorgeous. I'd never heard of them.
We lost our Lab at 12 yrs. old 6 mos. ago. I share your pain. They are so special & wonderful. When I would cry, I'd tell myself that Jackpot wouldn't want to be the cause of our pain - he loved us so much & only wanted to see us be happy. That helped a little bit. The pain will ease up.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. I lost my sweet old man last fall and still miss him.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss PB.

I lost myself in drinking when I lost a pet - I look back now and regret that - she deserved better from me.

For me, it was definitely a time to be the person your per thinks you are.

I'm glad you're back on the right road today

D
Old 06-23-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss. When I lost my cat i was devastated. Pets are closest companions and feels no worse than losing a close human friend