Notices

Cost of a drink

Old 06-21-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cost of a drink

When you sit down and the bar stool and order a drink , throw your wallet, car keys, wife, kids , house and health in the bar also. That’s the price. Coming up on 20 months July 4th, don’t want to pay that price. Sobriety works.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Drinking the way I drank was like player Russian roulette.

I remember waking up from the deepest comatose state gaging on my own spittle, heart racing, and out of breath. I was suffocating in my sleep.

Another time I was drinking at a party. I had 4 drinks, felt a little buzzed. On the way home there was an accident and cops everywhere. A cop knocks on my car window, I know he smelt the booze, but maybe I didn't look too drunk. I escaped.

Stories like this speckle my life.

Never again. It was pure uneducated addiction. Those days are thankfully gone forever.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Drinking the way I drank was like player Russian roulette.

Stories like this speckle my life.

Never again. It was pure uneducated addiction. Those days are thankfully gone forever.
I can totally relate.
and congrats on 20 months K
Old 06-22-2019, 12:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Absolutely spot on it takes everything
Old 06-22-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So true. Really don't know what's going to happen or how the day will finish up once start drinking. And something nearly always happens , I always come around a few days later left with a bad taste in my mouth over something I did or did t do Yet Again ,congratulations on 20 months.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It’s nice to have more money from not buying booze and the other stuff that goes along with that, and from living a more meaningful life with more opportunities, but that just scratches the surface.

I don’t have to live in a body that gagged uncontrollably in the morning. I had developed some kind of yeast overgrowth that made gross strings in my mouth. I never felt present. I wasn’t sleeping or dreaming, I was sick. The ugliest parts of the human condition became front and center. I lost my ability to embody hope.

I put peoples’ lives in danger, some the ones I love the most, when I got behind the wheel (not that any lives are more important than others when you endanger the public like that).

I sweated alcohol. The days of my life that I lost added into years.

I tried to get sober and failed, again and again. I think this is what ultimately helped me though. On this site there’s a record of it. I’d come here and see that the last time I’d posted was a year before, six months, eight months, whatever. What if I’d kept on?

I could see “one day at a time” in the inverse, backwards, when I came here, in the terms of “what if”. Little snapshots preserved in time, undeniable because of this forum and how you can look at your own history here, datestamped until the end of the internet. What if I had made a different choice? Who would I now be on this forum? In my life? In my body? In my mind? In the world?

I got angry when people here said “what will you do differently this time?” They were talking down to me. I interpreted their concern and caring to be personal attacks. I wanted what they had, but also wanted someone else to do it for me.

That state of being, spelled out above in various ways, is what I would be paying for an alcoholic drink right now. I’m simply incapable of paying that price. I don’t have it to pay. It’s not currency, it’s self. My self is not currency anymore. I sold myself for booze and while I was biologically alive, I was dead in all of the ways that truly matter.

It’s really quite simple. Don’t drink today. Don’t rest on your laurels. Don’t get ahead of yourself. The price of sobriety is the deal of a lifetime, the price of a drink is the biggest racket you’ll ever encounter.

Thanks for this post. Good morning and happy summer. (In the US)

And congrats on 20 months.

xoxo - b
Old 06-22-2019, 05:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been sober long enough that I'd probably have sticker shock if I ever went to a bar. Cigarettes prices amaze me. I haven't had one for 50 years, but someone told me what a pack costs these days, and I thought, "Hell, I couldn't even afford to smoke anymore. Well OK, I could but I think I'd have to sacrifice some other things for it.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
It’s nice to have more money from not buying booze and the other stuff that goes along with that
Indeed. Without even factoring in what you sacrifice with being a drunk, such as family, the financial aspect is huge. As my drinking spiraled into 3 or 4 day benders, plus the detox/recovery time from that...I can estimate a couple hundred dollars in booze, I ordered food a lot instead of cooking, and tack on at least $1500 in missed wages from work. Every bender where I really lost control cost me upwards towards 2 grand
Old 06-22-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No question. In fact similar sentiments are in my signature line. Thanks for the reminder.