Notices

Insomnia

Old 06-20-2019, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on insomnia during recovery? I'm really struggling with a lack of sleep. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Karate girl

During the first couple of nights there wasn't much I could do except browse posts on these forums until I fell into a restless sleep Now, I turn on relaxing music and that seems to help a lot. I'm sorry you're struggling. Hopefully you will have an easier time sleeping soon!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing to do is to try to not worry about it, and I know that's not easy. It will improve as your recovery continues.

Meditation can help. There are lots of guided meditations on youtube for insomnia.

I hope you sleep better soon.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply. Everything I read on the internet search leads me to a feeling of hopelessness. I know it is not going to be easy and I am in for a fight. I guess I just need to believe that the sleeplessness gets better.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's just part of the process. I didn't sleep well (or through the night) for a couple weeks. It didn't do any harm. My body made me sleep when it needed it. I'd sleep for a couple hours here and there and then 12 hours straight.

It takes a while.

Don't use alcohol to help you sleep. It's a trap.

I drank SleepyTime tea and other calming teas. I ate well. Exercise during the day helped me sleep at night. I stayed off the news sites and listened to only Classical Instrumental music on Pandora.

Keep going.

Welcome to the site.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It gets better. i just tell mysefl that even if I feel like I've had no sleep I still feel better than if I've got a hangover and just crashed out.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Insomnia is common in early recovery, but with continued sobriety, it gets better. It took me a couple weeks to establish a regular sleep schedule but I now sleep better than ever.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had dreadful insomnia the first time I stopped drinking. This was a decade after my drinking had got out of hand and the longest in that period I'd gone without a drink was a mere few days. My sleep pattern has never been great but it got worse after I stopped. I also quit smoking a couple of weeks later so my body was undergoing double withdrawals. My doctor suggested exercise and I joined the local gym. After about a week or so of daily exercising one night I slept for 13 hours solid (the only time in my life I can recall sleeping that long) and then after that my sleeping became the best it had been in my life to that point. Unfortunately I started drinking again a few months later and my sleeping was once again all over the place.

Anna's suggestion of meditation is a good thing too. Part of the problem with insomnia is that if you go to bed expecting not to sleep you can sometimes not sleep due to being unsettled and meditation is a good way to relax. There are also some free apps for iPhones that are good for relaxation. If you have an iPhone search the Apple apps store under either meditation or mindfulness.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OLLY sleep gummies..all natural..called "Restful Sleep"...but if you have a sensitivity to Melatonin as I do.(causes bathroom issues)..than you cant take them everyday.

But either Melatonin alone..........or the gummies or trying to consume your daily vitamins and exercise.

This is NOT medical advice..I'm not a Dr...I'm just stating what has worked for me in the past as an alcoholic recovering with insomnia.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insomnia is a part of most peoples withdrawal.

I'd never sleep at all the first night., sleep a little the second, a littler more on night 3...sometimes it took 10 days or so but by then things were pretty good.

here are some non medical common sense ideas
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sleep-a...beat-insomnia/

https://www.better-sleep-better-life...mnia-tips.html

D
Old 06-20-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Insomnia was what I dreaded most in withdrawal.

I found it got gradually better and usually by week 3 or 4 I was getting good, deep, restful sleep.

Just don't drink and do relaxing things to settle in for the night-a wind-down routine like hot bath, herbal tea, a good book are all things that helped me.

It really will get much better. Ride it out.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You may want to try some Linden leaves Tea (Tiolo Tea) or chamomille tea or the tea with the sleepy bear on it.

There is also valerian root and melatonin. But by midnight just lay down, turn off the lights, close your eyes and if you cant fall asleep just rest that way and make sure whatever thoughts in your mind are happy and positive

If you have amazon prime (amazon music) you can listen for free to:

The Secret Of Healing: Meditations For Transformation And Higher Consciousness by
Deepak Chopra

I like to let that play while I sleep and it really helps to calm me down and get asleep
Old 06-20-2019, 08:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

No advice from me. I cant fall asleep either and I have been booze free for a while.

Life in the big city.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have an irregular sleep pattern anyway, so when I wake up I just get up for a while to avoid just lying there thinking about stuff. Doing a few things for a while lets me relax until I get to a point where I can go back to sleep. This may happen for me a couple times or even more in a night.

You may return to a better sleep for yourself over time naturally, don't sweat it too much. Your body will get into its rhythm on its own, but the suggestions above are all good, especially for falling asleep when you are tired. You'll also read that clean sheets are a great thing for making that space welcome for rest, and it's true.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I tried the first couple of nights and simply got none next night that half awake/half asleep feeling you get in the morning when it is time to get up.
What worked for me for a couple of nights after was to not even try. I cleaned, I fixed stuff around my apartment. I was feeling exhausted generally anyway. So basically stretched myself to the point where there was no option but to sleep. By day seven my sleep resolved itself.
May not work for everyone but that helped me.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I came here this morning to post the same question!! I slept like a rock the first few nights but since then it has been difficult.

I have been trying to exhaust myself by getting out and walking, walking, walking as much as I can. The fresh air seems to help. The heat is making it more difficult though. Even though I have air conditioning it feels like I have a little furnace inside that keeps cranking.

I also read until my eyes get tired and that helps. My brain doesn't always want to shut off so I try a beginners meditation exercise where you let the thoughts come, recognize them, and visualize them drifting away.

All of these help, but none of them work, you know? All we can do is wait it out and have faith in those who have been there that it will pass.
D.