Notices

Day 7 and last gasps

Old 06-19-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 and last gasps

I wonder if it is the last of the alcohol in my system or psychological. I had a more productive day, ended my exile, and went and did some things to try and remedy my alcohol induced situation and problems.
All positive so far right?
I got until mid-evening here and a ghost of my drinking reared its head. It was not uncommon for me to pass out for an hour or two at this time after quietly polishing off a bottle of vodka at about this time (a reason my partner left me).
Anyway at this time. I suddenly had the urge to do just that, only this time it was sleep. "Just for a while" I thought.
Four hours later I wake up with that familiar sense of disorientation, not sure what day it is, generally groggy, and with that same dry, acidic tasting mouth.
It felt like emerging from a black-out and this is more than seven days since my last drink. I had missed calls, messages etc. I replied to one of the messages with "sorry I fell asleep" and was immediately accused of drinking.
Has this sort of thing happened to anyone here?
Old 06-19-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on Day 7!

I think it's important to remember that we need to learn patience in early recovery. It takes time for the people in our lives to see that we have changed. I'm sure you have come a long way to reach Day 7, but others won't see that yet. Stay the course and they will see.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm always disorientated when/if I take a nap or passout(which I never really did during the day) whatever. When I wake I am always disorientated cuz I dont do it often and it just feels weird. Ofcourse I was always drinking then because I have only been sober for 10 days and I have not crashed out during the day yet so I cant say if it will be different but I think not. Its just weird waking up at a weird time. Also ofcourse your peeps are going to think you were drinking. thats to be expected. Its all good, they will figure it out eventually if they dont already believe you.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

a week is great - but still pretty early. The nights were harder for me too for a while but like Anna says things will get better

D
Old 06-19-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not much of a day sleeper, but when I do it is total disorientation when I wake up.
I slept once, on a nap, until seven pm. Got up thinking it was seven in the morning. Went to the convenience store to get a donut, said good morning to everyone. Finally figured it out.
And this is after I'd been sober about eight years.
I have gotten accused of drinking when people call me in the morning, and I'm not fully awake. It really pisses me off. I just stopped answering the phone until I am fully awake.
You're not alone.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LOL. That is hilarious but I understand. I've been there. Never made my way up to the donut shop, but yea.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whew. That sounds kinda scary. How happy are you that you didn't pick up, though!?
Old 06-20-2019, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Whew. That sounds kinda scary. How happy are you that you didn't pick up, though!?
It was like a flashback of some sort. No I didn't pick up. I have a plan for now to only buy food/supplies outside liquor sales hours. If that means buying food at 6am so be it.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's never happened to me sober, but I got chills and a sad, sick feeling thinking about how I used to drink the same way. Maybe pass out midday on a Saturday and wake up as the sun was setting, unsure of anything at in the world besides the fact that I was deep in a vicious and unforgiving cycle.

I'm glad to hear you're on day 7. Keep pushing. It gets better. Thank you for the scary reminder in your post.

​​​​​