Notices

Looking for online/phone sponsor

Old 06-19-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for online/phone sponsor

My last sponsor it didn’t work out with unfortunately. I’m looking for an online/phone sponsor to take me through the AA 12 steps. Thx!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have an online program for working the steps that can be done one at a time, thru this thread on Sober Recovery.

If you're interested, you can start here:

Step 1:
"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable"

Do the following WORK simultaneously:

+ Click the link below and download. It contains a pdf, "Daily Prayers", and 3 Speaker Messages that focus on Step 1.

+ Listen to each of the Speaker Messages.

+ Read Step One in the book, 12 Steps and 12 Traditions. Highlight anything that stands out or seems relevant.

+ Start reading the Book, Alcoholics Anonymous - Be sure to read The Doctor's Opinion. Highlight anything that stands out or seems relevant.

+ Repeat the Prayers at least once a day, and the 3rd Step Prayer at least twice a day. From my perspective, I do not think of the Prayers as 'praying to a magic genie in the sky that will magically zap me and I will be completely fixed' ... my perspective is that they introduce new concepts that awaken an important part of me that is buried under the onslaught of drinking / using, and the continual madness that is spinning in my head.

+ Say a personal prayer each morning on awakening, and each night before going to sleep - something like, "God, I'm not sure what to pray or if this even makes any sense, and I somehow don't even know if this is going to do anything, but I am willing to let you work something new in me."

+ Step 1 is where we acknowledge and determine how are lives have become unmanageable, how our drinking / using has become unmanageable, how we have been unable to fix ourselves and our current condition of life, both in outside circumstances and most importantly on the inside, and how we have not let 'others' fix us. Step 1 is where we 'wallow' in our unmanageability and the 'hopelessness' of not having been able to 'fix' ourselves. This is the IMPORTANT starting point where we move to the only next step this Program directs us to, Step 2.

RDBplus3

Last edited by Dee74; 06-20-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 06-19-2019, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for this. I just got home from work and am exhausted. I plan on starting this step work tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really like this. I like that there doesn't have to be a genie. I love, love the prayer example. Right now I'm deathly afraid of AA. I try and fail and am afraid to try again.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RDBplus3 View Post
I have an online program for working the steps that can be done one at a time, thru this thread on Sober Recovery.

If you're interested, you can start here:

Step 1:
"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable"

Do the following WORK simultaneously:

+ Click the link below and download. It contains a pdf, "Daily Prayers", and 3 Speaker Messages that focus on Step 1.

+ Listen to each of the Speaker Messages.

+ Read Step One in the book, 12 Steps and 12 Traditions. Highlight anything that stands out or seems relevant.

+ Start reading the Book, Alcoholics Anonymous - Be sure to read The Doctor's Opinion. Highlight anything that stands out or seems relevant.

+ Repeat the Prayers at least once a day, and the 3rd Step Prayer at least twice a day. From my perspective, I do not think of the Prayers as 'praying to a magic genie in the sky that will magically zap me and I will be completely fixed' ... my perspective is that they introduce new concepts that awaken an important part of me that is buried under the onslaught of drinking / using, and the continual madness that is spinning in my head.

+ Say a personal prayer each morning on awakening, and each night before going to sleep - something like, "God, I'm not sure what to pray or if this even makes any sense, and I somehow don't even know if this is going to do anything, but I am willing to let you work something new in me."

+ Step 1 is where we acknowledge and determine how are lives have become unmanageable, how our drinking / using has become unmanageable, how we have been unable to fix ourselves and our current condition of life, both in outside circumstances and most importantly on the inside, and how we have not let 'others' fix us. Step 1 is where we 'wallow' in our unmanageability and the 'hopelessness' of not having been able to 'fix' ourselves. This is the IMPORTANT starting point where we move to the only next step this Program directs us to, Step 2.

Click this link to open in Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8lz8h66ut...cG0ZZsfka?dl=0

RDBplus3
Beautiful and scary. I wonder what repulses me. Not having anything to believe in maybe.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
My last sponsor it didn’t work out with unfortunately. I’m looking for an online/phone sponsor to take me through the AA 12 steps. Thx!
are there no other available f2f sponsors?
Old 06-20-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I suggest doing this work thru the online steps, thru research of various online step info and recovery speaker messages, and thru active participation in a local AA group, or multiple groups.

I live in an area that has a lot of great AA meeting options. Some areas may not be so great. Also even in my area, there are groups, and individuals that are in the program, but evidently are NOT actually working the program of AA as outlined in the Big Book of AA.

Also, Sponsors are ... human beings ... not infallible, or always available, or ... changing a Sponsor, or dropping a Sponsor is sometimes a good option.

The AA book was developed by the first 100, as a means to spread the program to people that were not in the proximity of the early groups. It specifically states it IS the manual, and that it can be worked by anyone that is willing to 'do the work'. It also states that any new 'group' can be created, just by reaching out, and sharing what is in the book. In this Internet age, online is sometimes a good place to get going and get working the program.

Again, I strongly prefer active participation, and sponsorship that is local.
I also KNOW this program WORKS, and it can work most excellently thru this media.

Step 1 - what a terrible place to be - the state of complete un-manageability and hopelessness - but it is the BEST place to be for someone that like me, needed this program to get FREE from the addictions that were completely and continuously ruining my life, and the hostages that came into my sphere of active using.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW anyone Can B 2.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
are there no other available f2f sponsors?
Nowhere in the Big Book of AA does it talk about needing a sponsor. It just asks that someone take another through the 12 steps. I think too often these days sponsorship becomes too codependent and unhealthy.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The AA 12 & 12 uses the word 'sponsor' if that's any help.

Bottom line is that I have a disease that can only be treated by spiritual means (all faiths, no faiths). I can't do it alone because if I could have I would've fixed myself by now and wouldn't be on SR or in AA. That would akin to a broken mind trying to fix a broken mind. (Mine, maybe not yours.)

We're all human and learn as we go along. Wishing you the best Freedom.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That was so great that you offered to help me on here. I have decided to work with a woman I met in AA in person. I just still wanted to thank you for giving me this opportunity if I didn’t find someone in person.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post

Nowhere in the Big Book of AA does it talk about needing a sponsor. It just asks that someone take another through the 12 steps. I think too often these days sponsorship becomes too codependent and unhealthy.
Right on both counts I think. The term sponsor has become somewhat nebulous in practice.

But there is the chapter called Working With Others which really highlights how this thing works. In brief, someone as part of their own recovery will teach someone else the steps. This alone is insufficient to keep the student sober. The teacher also teaches the student how to take someone else through the steps. When the student begins to pass on what they have been given, the real rewards, which include permanent sobriety, kick in.