Notices

Milk Thistle, etc.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Milk Thistle, etc.

I've heard it back and forth but does anyone know if any over the counter or prescription meds can help with liver healing?

Thanks for any input. My MD says nothing scientific is proven but it can't hurt.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was taking milk thistle back before I was diagnosed with all my medical issues. Once I was diagnosed in the hospital, my doctor told me to stop taking the milk thistle immediately. He didn't offer any explanation.

Wish I could be more help.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, nutritional supplements are not regulated.

So you have no idea what you're actually getting in those capsules. It could be one Milk Thistle leaf thrown into a batch of whatevers...

I don't know, I took it for a while when I had high liver ALTs. As long as you know it's mostly smoke and mirrors unless you're growing the plant yourself.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I believe in smart supplementing . Especially stuff like thiamine as alcoholics are usually quite low and that can have long reaching effects.

Talk with your dr. Find a reputable supplier (don't buy the bargain ones) like Vitamin Shoppe and I guess decide for yourself.

When I've been in the hospital for detox I'm always given large doses of vitamins including b12 and b1 so there must be something to it
Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My husband has liver problems....so of course, I went to Dr. Google and found milk thistle. My husband takes a lot of medication, though, for other health issues, so on our follow-up visit I'm going to ask the Dr. about taking it. I would absolutely consult your physician before taking herbal supplements. Reducing salt intake, increasing raw fruits and vegetables, and lots of water (lemon water is good) can vastly help, too.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Best thing to do would be to give the liver a break naturally, eat only whole food that grows out of the ground, no processed food whatsoever. Organic where possible, cut out caffeine and drink plenty of water. Eat plenty of varied fresh vegetables and fruit so you get a wide range of nutrients into your body.

Nature provides everything we need to stay healthy so I would try healthy eating for a month before even considering any kind of supplements. x
Old 06-19-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend everyone see their doctor before taking any supplements. You have to consider your clinical history, current health and especially whatever other meds you're on.

D
Old 06-19-2019, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, nutritional supplements are not regulated.

So you have no idea what you're actually getting in those capsules. It could be one Milk Thistle leaf thrown into a batch of whatevers...

I don't know, I took it for a while when I had high liver ALTs. As long as you know it's mostly smoke and mirrors unless you're growing the plant yourself.
Right. Even with everyday vitamins bought at a retail store, you could be getting inaccurate doses or even straight up counterfeits, as it's all unregulated, so you have to be super vigilant when shopping for supps. Love Amazon, but it's a haven for counterfeiters.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((dcg))

Wow, I had no idea about counterfeit vitamins. I blindly assumed that supplements purchased from big retailers were the real-deal smh...
Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I have been taking Milk Thistle for years. It is really good for you, it has been used for 1000's of years and it is great for cleaning out your liver and your kidneys of toxins.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Ladyd. Can you let me know how you know this before I go and buy some. I'm just curious about it and want info or examples, etc.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JADIII View Post
Thanks Ladyd. Can you let me know how you know this before I go and buy some.

Thanks!
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder that we can share personal experience but that share shouldn't be taken as a recommendation for others.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Sorry Guys, The administrator says No.

But there is a wealth of information out there, do your own research.

"All the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today."
Old 06-20-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OK, I'm actually looking for your experience with it or anyone you may know that used it and how it helped.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just a reminder that if you are allergic to ragweed, there is a very good chance that you are allergic to thistle and chamomile which are related. Ragweed season is awful for me. A capsule of milk thistle or a cup of chamomile tea immediately causes me to get hives.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Best thing to do would be to give the liver a break naturally, eat only whole food that grows out of the ground, no processed food whatsoever. Organic where possible, cut out caffeine and drink plenty of water. Eat plenty of varied fresh vegetables and fruit so you get a wide range of nutrients into your body.

Nature provides everything we need to stay healthy so I would try healthy eating for a month before even considering any kind of supplements. x
This.

Doc told me a year ago that the liver said I needed to make changes to my diet and of course, stop drinking. Although the alcohol was far trickier and took much longer, I found the diet change to be fairly easy.

As was said, removing processed foods and sugar is a necessity. If it's not whole grain wheat, in the legume family, or natural in fruits and vegetables (avoid tropical fruits very high in sugar)....don't eat it.

Do that and the liver will heal itself.

Disagree on caffeine though. Some is ok. Coffee itself is actually very healthy in moderation and as long as you don't put sugar or cream in it. I didn't drink caffeine for nearly 15 years, but now I drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee a day. It's been one of my alcohol replacements.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JADIII View Post
OK, I'm actually looking for your experience with it or anyone you may know that used it and how it helped.

Thanks
There is only anecdotal evidence that Milk Thistle, along with N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and Alphalipoic Acid help with liver repair, among other things. I have taken all 3 for years with no side effects. Does it help? No idea, but it doesn't hurt lol.

If you stop drinking and change your diet, there's no reason to not let nature take it's course and heal that way.

Although for what its worth, a friend who is an ER doctor said they give NAC to people who OD on Tylenol to protect their liver.