Notices

Sobriety has to always be no1 priority

Old 06-18-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety has to always be no1 priority

If you want to stay sober. It really is that simple. Put your sobriety above everything else in your life and you’ll stay sober. If you’re alcoholic then you’ll lose everything eventually if you drink anyway.

Lots of people who drink again will do so because they prioritise other things above their sobriety and recovery. Recovery always has to come first in my experience.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish it were that simple
Old 06-18-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm doing my best to follow that concept. I know it's right, but it's not easy for me. thanks for the reminder of what needs to be first though! it's a good thing for me to read today!
Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not easy. At first it is very hard for most, I know it was for me. I still have brief thoughts about it but I know that I would not live very long and I would go through hell on my way to death. Life is really wonderful without the drugs and alcohol. Even the worst of days are so much better.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats what they say.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaceful2 View Post
I wish it were that simple
It is.

It means saying no to things that seem more important, time wise or "obligation" wise, if they put your sobriety in jeopardy, particularly early on.
It means changing habits, thought processes, what you value and want in life maybe....and doing it sober every day, no matter what, til it becomes the new normal.
It means putting my recovery before my husband, whom I adore. Before the needs of aging parents. Before .... before... before. Because that allows me to have and do everything in life.

I say it all the time: the only reason I have everything good and beautiful in my perfectly imperfect life is because I'm sober.

More than that, I'm in recovery which is a lot different and far greater in terms of a life and worldview.

All this isn't easy. But it is that simple.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I made my quit top priority too and worked at least as hard at it as I did at drinking.

If I return to drinking, everything else in my life will go.

I came to realise that working at recovery is far less work than the hard work of being a daily drinker.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As other's have pointed out, it's not easy. The concept is simple and easy, but the actual execution does require a drastic alteration in how we behave. I remember being faced with the overwhelming size and number of changes I was going to make to get sober. It's not just "don't drink anymore." You are going to be facing temptations, traps, triggers, peer pressure, and loved ones who have no clue about what alcoholism and recovery involve. So it's more than not drinking. Taking yourself out of harms way requires sacrifices like not going to that party, not going to a resturant where alcohol is served, planning weird escape routes where you effectively disappear without explanation, or not hanging out with that fun chick that likes to drink. The first response is to think you might find a compromise on some of these changes, what Bill Wilson refers to as "half measures;" Cut yourself some well deserved slack, without getting dysfunctionally anal about the whole thing, but this is the kind of no compromise zero tolerance that I realized I was going to be doing.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it's worth pointing out that in the early days, you don't really imagine feeling any better or different and feel like it's always going to be a struggle.
It really isn't - it gets SO much easier as time goes on.
It's worth it - YOU are worth it.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is never a reason to drink only an excuse.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
I think it's worth pointing out that in the early days, you don't really imagine feeling any better or different and feel like it's always going to be a struggle.
It really isn't - it gets SO much easier as time goes on.
It's worth it - YOU are worth it.
Yes Yes and Yes 😀

You also have to be a bit selfish and self-centred when you start. Tell people you’ve stopped drinking and for how long. Don’t aim to please anyone except yourself. You’ll have the rest of your (sober) life to be nice. Until then, just be sober.

Stick with it. It’s easier and nicer on the other side.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

^^Learning that I had to reframe "selfish" into "self care" was big. Understanding and facing the Big Book of AA concept of selfish./self centered, for example, could wait - it wasn't selfish to say no to invitations, not go places or do things, or spend time at meetings instead of anywhere else, or anything else I had to do to get sober, first, then begin living in recovery.

I didn't have an absolute line between the sober and in recovery part, for sure- but ALWAYS putting the sober choice, the safer choice, the[ ] choice over anything else was essential. All that stuff both became reflexive (ex- saying no to anything I don't want to do) and evolved. In TIME.

And by "time" I do not mean a few months or a year or .... I mean that things change, and getting secure and grateful (as least always says) in sobriety and where I am in recovery is a gift - that keeps going and growing....as long as it's my top priority.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

People tend to get annoyed when longer term members say quitting is simple.
They're right tho - I look back and the solution is blindingly simple - do not drink, make a life where you're happy .

But I remember it being anything but easy.

Drinking was my go to for everything. A lot of things had to change and that was difficult.

D
Old 06-19-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
It is.

It means saying no to things that seem more important, time wise or "obligation" wise, if they put your sobriety in jeopardy, particularly early on.
It means changing habits, thought processes, what you value and want in life maybe....and doing it sober every day, no matter what, til it becomes the new normal.
It means putting my recovery before my husband, whom I adore. Before the needs of aging parents. Before .... before... before. Because that allows me to have and do everything in life.

I say it all the time: the only reason I have everything good and beautiful in my perfectly imperfect life is because I'm sober.

More than that, I'm in recovery which is a lot different and far greater in terms of a life and worldview.

All this isn't easy. But it is that simple.
I feel ya. YOU are the number one now. Like they say do the right thing the rest will follow . ,
Old 06-19-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

^^^It feels backwards, doesn't it? Then you start to realize how much sense it makes - and for me, it's the only way I can be good for others.

And- what Dee said - it was absolutely terrifying to think of life without alcohol. I don't always go into the memories of what it was like right when I quit but they are clear in my head. I had no idea how I was going to live without some amount of vodka in me 24/7 but I knew I didn't want to die. The mindblowing discoveries in sobriety are just...countless.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah it sure isn’t easy but it’s worth it. If you always always think: is this decision right for my sobriety? then that’s where you need to be imo. After a certain amount of sobriety it becomes second nature. Also you get to know situations that don’t feel right so you learn not to go next time. Always prioritise your sobriety if you want to stay sober in my experience.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
^^^It feels backwards, doesn't it?
There is a lot of stuff in recovery that seems counter intuitive. Maybe that's what makes it hard. Sometimes you have to do the opposite of what seems like you should do. And in the end, it doesn't feel the way you thought it would. My first AA meeting I expected a bunch of whiny long faces, but instead, everybody was happy. Go figure.