Notices

Day 40 visualizing AF life.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 40 visualizing AF life.

To strenghten my alcohol free life i started to visualize AL free life in this vulnerable situation .Thinking of managing tools and skills in advance.
1. While travelling abroad.
2.While meeting a old friend in new place.
3. When being out of job for a long.
4.When problem in ,
-Health
-Relationship.
-Job.
-social life.
-career .
-prestige.
and so on...
I am not sure if worry too much in advance or prepare a good future plan ?
Want to read your opinion and tools !!
Take care
Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a long list of possible situations where you are worrying about how you will feel and whether you might drink. For me, I would focus more on where I was in terms of success with no longer drinking but have a general plan for how I could stay sober. I think that is different for each person, but try not to put yourself into a place of believing that every encounter is a potential failure point. Keep it simple.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Paul

like I said to someone else today while it's good to think about and role play situations you'll probably face, I still think its probably best to stay in the day as much as you can for a while.

24 hours sober I knew I could do - and the more I did that, the more things seemed to fall into place for me in the longer term?

D
Old 06-17-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In early sobriety in particular, I had to think of only the "immediate distance." As I have gone along, I can think of the "middle distance" and still need to reign myself in from the "far distance."

By that I mean the proverbial day at a time- at first, literally, what am I going to do next? Then, increasingly, I can look ahead and plan based on tools I have gained- for example, a family event 3 wks ahead. That gradually "expanded" to the greater and safe scope of a landscape. Always bringing myself back to this one day as I held both views in mind. The long distance? Well, stuff like death is inevitable but a) many things I projected or "solved ahead" for either didn't happen or sure didn't unfold the way all my mental gymnastics had obsessed over and b) robbed me of present peace.

It's all a process....by early sobriety I mean the first 2 yrs....time really changes and clarifies all. Expectations and plans and priorities are things I have learned to manage, shift and balance - and I know how to self-correct when I stray too far in any direction.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

30 days here and I can relate. I'm feeling so good and reading these stories of people who have blown it after months or years of sobriety. It's a little scary.

My plan is simple: I do not drink.

Travel abroad --> don't drink.
Trouble at home --> don't drink.
Meet old friends --> don't drink.
And so on.

I just don't drink. It's not even an option, just not something I do. When AV tries to trick me into drinking, I override it easily because I'm sober, and I like it that way.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Paul,
i found envisioning future events without drinking really useful. it helped me to picture myself with nice teas, good friends, hot chocolate by a fireplace, lime and cranberry at a summer BBQ....all those images in my head reassured me instead of being worried about the future life situations.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will also say that visualization was very helpful for me. Especially with events that I went to early in sobriety - being able to actually envision what would happen at a wedding, for example, was very important and useful. Really a great skill to have and develop to strength sobriety.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
In early sobriety in particular, I had to think of only the "immediate distance." As I have gone along, I can think of the "middle distance" and still need to reign myself in from the "far distance."

By that I mean the proverbial day at a time- at first, literally, what am I going to do next? Then, increasingly, I can look ahead and plan based on tools I have gained- for example, a family event 3 wks ahead. That gradually "expanded" to the greater and safe scope of a landscape. Always bringing myself back to this one day as I held both views in mind. The long distance? Well, stuff like death is inevitable but a) many things I projected or "solved ahead" for either didn't happen or sure didn't unfold the way all my mental gymnastics had obsessed over and b) robbed me of present peace.

It's all a process....by early sobriety I mean the first 2 yrs....time really changes and clarifies all. Expectations and plans and priorities are things I have learned to manage, shift and balance - and I know how to self-correct when I stray too far in any direction.

Hi August,
Thank you for your meaningful advice.Seems it takes a time .Patience is important and I have learn to be passionate ....
Old 06-17-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
Paul,
i found envisioning future events without drinking really useful. it helped me to picture myself with nice teas, good friends, hot chocolate by a fireplace, lime and cranberry at a summer BBQ....all those images in my head reassured me instead of being worried about the future life situations.

Wonderful FINI,
Are they really working ?.That's what I want to do !! PLease keep in touch for sharing !!!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I will also say that visualization was very helpful for me. Especially with events that I went to early in sobriety - being able to actually envision what would happen at a wedding, for example, was very important and useful. Really a great skill to have and develop to strength sobriety.

Thank you lessgravity for adding up my energy !!!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImNotThatGuy View Post
30 days here and I can relate. I'm feeling so good and reading these stories of people who have blown it after months or years of sobriety. It's a little scary.

My plan is simple: I do not drink.

Travel abroad --> don't drink.
Trouble at home --> don't drink.
Meet old friends --> don't drink.
And so on.

I just don't drink. It's not even an option, just not something I do. When AV tries to trick me into drinking, I override it easily because I'm sober, and I like it that way.

That's good ImnotThatGuy we have to find some sorts of tools that work for us.If Dont drink is working for you I am sending you more strengths !! ...Do matter what NEVER NEVER and NEVER drink !!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Paul

like I said to someone else today while it's good to think about and role play situations you'll probably face, I still think its probably best to stay in the day as much as you can for a while.

24 hours sober I knew I could do - and the more I did that, the more things seemed to fall into place for me in the longer term?

D

These days are not a problems for me DEE I have no craving at all but has a fear of future .I hope I will generate courage day by day !!!
Old 06-17-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulsandy View Post
Wonderful FINI,
Are they really working ?.That's what I want to do !! PLease keep in touch for sharing !!!
weeellll...pretty much everything i imagined has happened in my sober years: i retired, my dog died, my mom died, my dad died, i lost friends, i made friends, i made tough amends with some folks (exes especially...sigh), i’ve been angry, furious, hungry, tired, irritated, restless, resentful, spent time alone, spent time at parties, had vacations, had deadlines....all sober.
i do not feel deprived, and i do remember being worried i might. the visualizing of myself in the future, sober in all situations, helped me with putting those sober pictures in my mind, cementing them in.
so yeah, i say that really worked for me.
in addition to other things i did
Old 06-17-2019, 10:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Fini ,
Love words keeping sober pictures in mind and cementing the recovery !!
Yes preperation to enjoy/fight all ups and down is really working for me.Specially i feel sober now for future...isnt that good ?
Also it gives courage to take decision.Seems future fulfilment is achieved already.I now understand we live on our mind rather than in body
And mind is not a part of our body .What a powerful energy to know and embrace ???
Have a good day mate !!..
Enjoy with exes..
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

41 Days !!!

Yes i can do it no interest in drinking and heading to the goal...
Old 06-18-2019, 03:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Way to go 41 days is huge!

I find visualizing is key to goal setting and realizing those goals. My husband hates New Years because it is goal day, the day we reevaluate the year, 5 and 10 year plans.
I need to see where I am going, despite the fact Murphy's Law shows up all the time.
When I was getting sober, I absolutely visualized the future, sober and made sure to keep the visuals positive. Future casting.
It absolutely works, I am relatively successful in business, have my fingers in lots of pies. 10 years ago, I decided I liked a certain car manufacturer, I knew what I wanted in it, leather, sunroof, shifter on the floor, etc. I visualized myself driving it. I knew what it cost, I refuse to pay interest on depreciating assets, so I knew what had to be done to buy it. I bought the vehicle in 2017. Same with our home, we had to buy two properties and combine them, but in just over a decade, dh and I realized our dream home. I do it in business, what is the next step, where do I want to go, which market have we not tapped, how do we do that.
Future casting, goal setting, visualization, read any business book, life book, it is imperative to success and I believe 100% it works and when you hit a bump where you feel like you are lost, it is there like a beacon to remind you where you are going.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Way to go 41 days is huge!

I find visualizing is key to goal setting and realizing those goals. My husband hates New Years because it is goal day, the day we reevaluate the year, 5 and 10 year plans.
I need to see where I am going, despite the fact Murphy's Law shows up all the time.
When I was getting sober, I absolutely visualized the future, sober and made sure to keep the visuals positive. Future casting.
It absolutely works, I am relatively successful in business, have my fingers in lots of pies. 10 years ago, I decided I liked a certain car manufacturer, I knew what I wanted in it, leather, sunroof, shifter on the floor, etc. I visualized myself driving it. I knew what it cost, I refuse to pay interest on depreciating assets, so I knew what had to be done to buy it. I bought the vehicle in 2017. Same with our home, we had to buy two properties and combine them, but in just over a decade, dh and I realized our dream home. I do it in business, what is the next step, where do I want to go, which market have we not tapped, how do we do that.
Future casting, goal setting, visualization, read any business book, life book, it is imperative to success and I believe 100% it works and when you hit a bump where you feel like you are lost, it is there like a beacon to remind you where you are going.
Agreed!
If we run thoughts that i am a loser ,I am lost the more the similar will be happening.So we have to find our strengths or the things we have now and need to enbrace the life .It helps our recovery otherwise it worsen more
Lets be gratitude on the remaing things and accept the old that we cant change.
Lets focus and visualize in our mind rhat we want create in life .As i also knew that our life is that what we think
If we think the same unwanted things 95% of the time we end on the same stuffs.
Lets make a list of the things we want to welcome in our life and repeat and visualize in our mind to make it real...
Have a wonderful time with your family and friends if you don,t have any with yourself !!!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Paulsandy--41 days is wonderful! I think thinking too far into the sober future can be counterproductive, and today is often plenty to deal with, let alone thinking of health or prestige in the future. However, keeping your eyes ahead and using visualization to imagine a great sober life is a positive thing. One day at a time is great advice and whether or not you are a Christian, I take comfort from this Bible verse: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." True words, that.