Notices

Doing small tasks difficult

Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing small tasks difficult

This is my first post. I am about three days in from stopping drinking. It has been hell so far. I am coming off the back of a major bender lasting several weeks. Stupid thing is this came immediately after being medically detoxed. My home looks like it was bombed. My question here though is this. I am trying to clear out the vodka bottles and clean up. But 10 minutes of this cleaning and I feel like I have been hit by bus, sweating, unsteady and need to lie down. Is it normal to feel like this after mild physical activity? I feel so weak and while I am past the vomiting stage any more than maybe 10 mins and I feel like I am going to
Old 06-13-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal to feel horrible when detoxing. Give yourself a few days and I'm sure you'll feel better.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is it normal to find even washing dishes exhausting? I am doing them in shifts. Wash a few and then I need a break. Also a lot of people here are saying walks help. But on stairs or steps I get this weird sensation I am going to fall
Old 06-13-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm far from an expert but withdrawal symptoms can manifest itself as general fatigue. I'm on day 2 and while yes today has sucked, it wasn't as bad as yesterday. You've got this!
Old 06-13-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was right where you are just a few days ago, and I didn't have energy to do much of anything. Like you, one small task and I needed to lie down. I suggest listening to your body. Don't push too hard activity wise. Rest. Drink plenty of water. Eat some healthy food if you can ( fruits are good). It gets better. I'm just at day 9 and feel so much better.

Way to stick with it. The group really is supportive, so post, ask questions, whatever you need.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That describes my withdrawal days exactly. Living alone I didn't feel safe standing for too long with the dizziness and nausea and breaking out in sweat.
I would throw out a few bottles, sit down. Put away a few dishes, sit down, etc
It gets better, it really does. Hang in there.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have tried so many times sometimes if i cut back a little I didn't feel so bad and then other times you have to go work and the day starts with vomiting it seems the only way was to stabilise yourself is with enough to actually function be able to go work. Of course that dosage was sometimes one two many. Eventually (of course) I was fired. This triggered massive bender that has lasted several months. The instability feeling before was only going up or especially down stairs or steps but my legs turned to jelly and you are mentally telling yourself "don't fall". Flat surfaces were fine mostly. But time it feels different like a flu only much worse. I am terrified of having a seizure also. I had one once. It was incredibly painful and I think ever since as soon the symptoms return that fear made me lose the nerve

Last edited by Strugglingto; 06-13-2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Word missing
Old 06-13-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very normal to feel like that. Just keep moving a bit at a time. What helped me was to make a list of things I needed to do. Each day, I would cross of a couple of items and it made me feel like I was accomplishing something. I expect that you will begin to feel better in a few days.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe someone can explain this too. I have had every symptom of withdrawal at one time or another. But every time it was a different combination. Never the same. And some weird ones like pins and needles in my face. Things like slimy palms sometimes and sometimes not. Nose running like I had a cold sometimes. But each time is different to the last
Old 06-13-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Strugglingto, I've never experienced the intensity of symptoms you're going through, but sounds like just getting through the day sober is enough of a to-do list. The cleaning can wait. You've already pushed yourself so hard, mentally, physically, emotionally. Let yourself be for a bit, unless the moving makes you feel better. Make some new friends, and let that "I'm going to live sober from now on" sense ease in to your mind/heart/gut. Once you feel better and get moving, and cravings come here and there, you'll be better equipped.

Just my opinion, of course. But sounds like you really need rest and encouragement.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Is it normal to feel like this after mild physical activity?"

Yes, you are "normal."

Old 06-13-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us underestimate the toll years of destructive drinking can take on mind and body.

Take away the false euphoria of alcohol and we get a real picture of how run down we are.

I guarantee you will feel better - but it'll probably take a little longer than a few days?

Welcome aboard anyway
D
Old 06-13-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I think for me the hardest thing is just how violently sick you become when you stop. And it could hit three or four hours after my last drink. Walking home and suddenly being hit with a feeling that you were going to vomit at any moment. Then it almost felt like you had no option but to buy something just to actually get home
Old 06-13-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strugglingto View Post
This is my first post. I am about three days in from stopping drinking. It has been hell so far. I am coming off the back of a major bender lasting several weeks. Stupid thing is this came immediately after being medically detoxed. My home looks like it was bombed. My question here though is this. I am trying to clear out the vodka bottles and clean up. But 10 minutes of this cleaning and I feel like I have been hit by bus, sweating, unsteady and need to lie down. Is it normal to feel like this after mild physical activity? I feel so weak and while I am past the vomiting stage any more than maybe 10 mins and I feel like I am going to
yes..normal..you are dehydrated...especially after a major bender..don't drink..get Pedilyte and Gatorade...drink it and drink it like it was alcohol (constantly) for a day...and eat some Ramen noodle soup...

And rest...and do little things at a time....I was surprised at my "weakness" as well...its scary....hydrate...eat small meals till you are stronger.

Hopefully you don't have a lot of responsibilities and you can pamper YOU...cause that is what you need and DESERVE.