Notices

I think I want to go to a meeting tonight

Old 06-13-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I want to go to a meeting tonight

I think I am ready and I want to go tonight. I found a meeting that starts at just about the time I would be driving past the wine store on my way home. I'm posting this here in the hopes that if I say it here I won't be able to back out (or psyche myself out) of it at the last minute.

Plus, I have the day off on Friday so that puts me in a dangerous situation as far as being able to fight off the cravings. I have to do this if I have any hope of making it through the weekend.

So here goes. I am going to my first meeting after work tonight and I will report back here when I get home.

D.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good idea! Meetings are nothing to be afraid of...they're pretty interesting.

You can reframe that
so that puts me in a dangerous situation as far as being able to fight off the cravings
to, "I have the day off so what an awesome time to do _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and enjoy it sober!"
Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great decision! Let us know how it goes!
Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent, Daytrippin! I don't think you can go wrong going to a meeting. The worst that can happen is you have a bad cup of coffee.
Your post is the first thing I read this morning, and you made my day.
I can't wait to hear how it went.
Best to you, my friend
Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I went to meetings while I was in rehab a year ago but that was with the people that were in the rehab only so not real world AA meetings. I did one real world one on my return from rehab and didn’t warm to it. Never went to another....until 2 weeks ago! AA is not my cup of tea but I knew I was feeling out of sorts and couldn’t get out of the funk I was in so I found the nearest meeting to me and turned up. I really needed that human connection and support and I am really glad I went. As they say, take what you need and leave the rest xx
Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go for it!! I have found meetings to be incredibly helpful. If there are different meetings in your area, I would consider sort of "shopping around" to find one you really seem to vibe with.

Also, if you feel brave, get that 24 hour chip and stick around for a few minutes to talk to a couple people after the meeting. You can make some good contacts and they might have insights on other good meetings as well.

Good luck!!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
Go for it!! I have found meetings to be incredibly helpful. If there are different meetings in your area, I would consider sort of "shopping around" to find one you really seem to vibe with.

Also, if you feel brave, get that 24 hour chip and stick around for a few minutes to talk to a couple people after the meeting. You can make some good contacts and they might have insights on other good meetings as well.

Good luck!!
Thanks DPac, I will try to. I just went to Google maps to get directions because I am not very familiar with that part of the city and I had to make a change of plan. The place looked really, really bad - like I wouldn't even park my car there and it doesn't look like an area that a woman should go alone. It was this flat, windowless outbuilding between a VFW bar and a pool hall. I just started crying but pulled myself together and went looking for another one. They all seemed to be pretty sketchy - why do I live in this dying city? Anyhow, I found one in a church (which doesn't rock my world) but at least it is a church and has a parking lot. It is a bit of a drive but I think it will be worth it. This meeting is advertised as 'Open' with a speaker.

I feel good about it.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad you feel good about it. The meeting being in a church doesn't mean anything. They donate the space or charge a little for it.
When I first started going, I went to nothing but speaker meetings. I really liked them.
Open meeting just means it's open to non-alcoholics as well.
Best of luck to you, I hope it goes well.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Cool! I was way less excited about my first meeting. lol.

There are as many different atmospheres at various meetings as there are atmospheres at various bars. Don't be afraid to look for one you like.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good decision.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I dreaded the idea of going to AA until I went to a meeting. I actually thought they were fun, not at all what I expected. I was at a point where I was grasping at straws, so I was willing to try anything. I was willing to try anything, but not necessarily buy everything. Several people told me I had to buy the whole package, but I found just taking the things I found useful to be enough. I didn't rely on a higher power for anything. I got myself into my own mess, and I felt it was my responsibility to get myself out. Even those who credit a higher power for their sobriety, have to commit themselves to sobriety, and do the work. It's a serious commitment. Although that "easier softer way" they talk about does exist. It's just the total opposite of what you thought you were looking for. And yes, that means not drinking. I know this sounds disappointing at first, but give it a try, and you will find that the change seems almost magical. Within a couple weeks after I quit, I was stunned to be going to bed sober every night, and delighted not to need a drink. I never imagined that could be possible. I haven't had a drink for almost 25 years, and when I sit down to actually think about that, which honestly, I seldom do anymore, I'm still amazed that it happened.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

did you go DT?

D
Old 06-13-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Looking forward to hearing about it, especially since I'm usually too tired to go to evening meetings. I'm going to live vicariously through you on this one
Old 06-13-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes

Thank you all for giving me the courage to walk into my first meeting. I went, I listened, I cried, I left with about 8 phone numbers.

So I got there a little early. There were a few cars in the parking lot of the church, but I figured it was too early so I waited. Pretty soon cars started streaming in. I watched for a few minutes as people walked in the door, most smiling and waving to each other. Totally not what I was expecting to see lol. I guess I don't know what I was expecting.

I stayed quiet for a few minutes but pretty soon I was outed as a newcomer and it was okay, not uncomfortable at all. Actually people were genuinely happy to see me and greeted me with such warmth and genuine concern I couldn't believe it.

The meeting was more formal I guess than I was expecting. I half expected someone to pull out Roberts Rules of Order or something lol. Once the formal readings and business was done it was time for someone to choose a topic (literally from a hat). The topic happened to be 'fear' and I knew right then that this was a good decision.

Anyone who wanted to share anything related to 'fear' talked for a bit, and it seemed like many of the people who spoke chose their stories very carefully for my benefit - always ending with some encouragement to come back and give this a chance.

I had tears rolling down my face the whole time because every person who spoke said something that resonated with me. Every. Single. Person.

So anyhow, I left with some phone numbers and some recommendations for Friday meetings and Sunday meetings and Women's meetings, etc.

For the first time in a very very long time I feel hope.

Well ****, I'm crying again.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you went and got something out of it. Use those phone numbers! If you get the idea of drinking, you can call someone and talk to them about it. Try some of the other meetings they told you about. Altho they have the same goal, they're all a little different and you may like some better than others.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daytrippin View Post
Thank you all for giving me the courage to walk into my first meeting. I went, I listened, I cried, I left with about 8 phone numbers.

So I got there a little early. There were a few cars in the parking lot of the church, but I figured it was too early so I waited. Pretty soon cars started streaming in. I watched for a few minutes as people walked in the door, most smiling and waving to each other. Totally not what I was expecting to see lol. I guess I don't know what I was expecting.

I stayed quiet for a few minutes but pretty soon I was outed as a newcomer and it was okay, not uncomfortable at all. Actually people were genuinely happy to see me and greeted me with such warmth and genuine concern I couldn't believe it.

The meeting was more formal I guess than I was expecting. I half expected someone to pull out Roberts Rules of Order or something lol. Once the formal readings and business was done it was time for someone to choose a topic (literally from a hat). The topic happened to be 'fear' and I knew right then that this was a good decision.

Anyone who wanted to share anything related to 'fear' talked for a bit, and it seemed like many of the people who spoke chose their stories very carefully for my benefit - always ending with some encouragement to come back and give this a chance.

I had tears rolling down my face the whole time because every person who spoke said something that resonated with me. Every. Single. Person.

So anyhow, I left with some phone numbers and some recommendations for Friday meetings and Sunday meetings and Women's meetings, etc.

For the first time in a very very long time I feel hope.

Well ****, I'm crying again.
Wow! I NEVER WANTED to go to meetings..but did..and found out everytime I WENT...I heard "something" I needed to hear and that was the "spiritual" part for me.

I was not a big fan of the praying or the God talk...but I GOT what I needed...so I just went along with all the rest...and I have never felt better in sobriety than after a meeting.

Because the people are real....sweet...helpful...caring...compassionate.. .and everything we are NOT USED to....I love that you loved it...

You don't have to love it ALL...but you LOVE whatever you love and go HOME...SOBER.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That is so awesome. I am SO proud of you. And you should be so proud of yourself, you did a very brave thing.
The meeting sounds great. I hope you do keep going back.
In my first post I said you made my day. Now I can say you made my night.
I wish I could explain how I feel inside for you. I'm just overjoyed.
Thank you Daytrippin.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So awesome to hear! I’m so glad you went.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Really happy for you, DT. Sounds like my first meeting too. I think I had a mild panic attack.

I’m so so glad it was a positive experience!! This is why places like SR are great, but imo IRL support groups like AA are better. You get real, raw stories from people right in front of you. It’s almost a relief.

I hope you keep going. Those people want to help you, and you in turn are helping them. Gosh, I’m just so happy it went well. You were so brave and it paid off. Awesome.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree. Face to face contact with others seems to introduce a theraputic intimacy with others that can't be found on the internet. But then, I hear about all kinds of "intimate" antics taking place digitally that are completely foreign to me. Maybe it's a generational difference, but I've grown so use to the idea that real people are better than digitized people, and it's one of those things I don't really get. While, I'm older than most people here, I try to be "hip" enough to accept it, and I do, but in complete honesty, I have to admit, I'm not sure how this really works, and I still have reservations about whether this is a good thing or a bad thing for mankind in general.

But I digress. As a recovering newbie, no stone should be left unturned. Go for some face to face contact, watch the body language and get close to recovering alcoholics. I don't know that it is the end all be all or not, but it sure made a big difference for me.