Notices

Question About Antabuse

Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question About Antabuse

Morning all, hope you're well!

I've done a bit of research on Antabuse, and was interested in talking to my Dr. about it. The more I researched meds that help with alcoholism though, the more stressed the whole idea of talking about it became. There's a dr.-patient privilege while talking about most conditions, but the loop-holes in the insurance companies are worrisome. I found that accepting medical help for any sort of addiction can effect your ability to get help later on down the line.
Say for example someone has issues with their liver two years from now, but accepted Antabuse from their doctor for an alcohol problem, the insurance company can deny any sort of coverage.
I've just found myself in a really stressful situation. I was interested in asking my Dr. about it, but now I'm thinking that may not be such a great idea.

Any words of advice? I feel like will-power is just not working for me.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What country do you live in? I used this drug but then I stopped taking it because I wasnt done yet. I dont have insurance in my country. All my medical care is free so I cant help you there.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Windpines,

I presume you are in the US? I have had similar worries about divulging information to my doctors. I’m currently in The diagnostic process for neck, shoulder, and back pain. The dr prescribed all sorts of medication to help. I was really worried she was going to prescribe opiates and was trying to figure out how to have an “off the record” conversation about why I don’t want opiates secondary to having addiction issues.

She didn’t prescribe opiates so I didn’t have to have “the” conversation. I think the worry is very real. Not only can coverage be declined at a later date but anything in your record will be scrutinized if you carry life insurance.

This is a tough spot to be in. I guess, ultimately, if you need the medication you ask for it and deal with any repercussions later? I don’t know.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I forgot to add this part: continuing drinking will bring its own set of health repercussions as well. The insurance company will have access to all that info too. Either way, they have all of your medical info.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

There was a time earlier in my life where Antabuse was a great aid when I had "gone off the rails" after some long time sober and just couldn't seem to gain traction. I have never had any issues with insurance coverage or being denied anything. I can't say much about the insurance issue, but though I know there are issues with providers, I believe you might be making this more of an issue that exists. I certainly would not let it get in the way of ever seeking help needed.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WindPines View Post
Morning all, hope you're well!

I've done a bit of research on Antabuse, and was interested in talking to my Dr. about it. The more I researched meds that help with alcoholism though, the more stressed the whole idea of talking about it became. There's a dr.-patient privilege while talking about most conditions, but the loop-holes in the insurance companies are worrisome. I found that accepting medical help for any sort of addiction can effect your ability to get help later on down the line.
Say for example someone has issues with their liver two years from now, but accepted Antabuse from their doctor for an alcohol problem, the insurance company can deny any sort of coverage.
I've just found myself in a really stressful situation. I was interested in asking my Dr. about it, but now I'm thinking that may not be such a great idea.

Any words of advice? I feel like will-power is just not working for me.

Gotta chime in here.

Unfortunately your concern is very real.

My ex worked for the NYPD. The "brotherhood" at an organization like that would have fought the insurance and won every time. They would not have allowed me to go without care. One phone call would be all it took.

Most private companies dont have that power (or attitude) and you MAY get seriously screwed.

People are very correctly told to see their doctors, but unless you can pay a doctor privately out of pocket and keep some issues private from the whole world (insurance records), you COULD have problems.

Hence celebs and the sort using an alias on their scripts aside from those just doctor shopping.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm going to chime in and say that what was or wasn't in my charts had zero bearing on what it would take for me to get sober. There had already been plenty of "ugly" dx and recording of events and so on, that well, getting healthy and showing those things in charts was way more important.

Antabuse is a good tool for some of us- when taken seriously on top of being totally sober and working program/help/recovery plans. It can be hard on the liver, so responsible drs should factor in reasons for whether a patient should or should not take it.

IMO, a much bigger reason to take it or NOT is if you are looking at it as a magic pill to keep you from drinking (I drank on it and risked all the side effects up to death, but got off lucky) or cure you. It can be a great thing if it is one more tool in your total program.

Bottom line, I believe in doing whatever we need to do to get and stay sober and projecting future what if's is far less important- NOW.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Solution: leave America.

The intersection of capitalism with medical treatment renders your suffering a commodity.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got sober in the days of paper records, no doctor shopping laws, pre-HIIPA, etc.

But I had to get sober right then because I was quickly losing everything that I valued and I couldn't make it through a day without going into withdrawal by later morning or early afternoon.

I would do whatever it takes to get sober today.

I would also recommend pursuing a program of recovery along with Antabuse.

Antabuse is not a plan of recovery.

It's a tactic.

A plan of recovery, on the other hand, is a strategy.

I took Antabuse for 16-18 months when I first got sober and I worked the AA program very hard.

I still work the 12 Steps regularly and a few of them on a daily basis.

It's been over 30 years now, so it's certainly worked for me and I was a truly hopeless drunk (and addict).

I would have been dead many years ago, because my drinking was pathological.

We hope you keep us posted as to your efforts and we all wish you success and sobriety.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your input.