Notices

back to rehab

Old 06-12-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

back to rehab

I thought I was done with it, but it looks like I need another stint in rehab. I can't believe at my age I have to go through this again, but I don't think I have a choice. Hurt myself pretty bad a few days ago. Still cleaning dried blood off the floor. My left knee has a pretty big hole in it. Got the whole summer off from work and this is definitely not a good start. I'll end up in the hospital for sure, probably ICU. My psychiatrist said he was concerned that I'd end up in a very serious problem with nobody to help and he was right. Pretty much on my own. Talked to a guy that runs a detox in Orlando with support facilities near me. It's a detox plus a two month inpatient than IOP. They will even pick me up. Gotta cancel a 4th of July trip to Ft. Lauderdale but that can come latter. My insurance pays a lot of it so I'm lucky. I know what's coming and it's not good. I don't work in the summer so now's a good time to go for it. Going downhill fast, so gotta do something. I expect to be picked up this Friday or Saturday. Spend time in detox than off to rehab. Tired of having scars all over my body. I look like a train wreck. Wish me luck. John
Old 06-12-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you.

Final wake-up call?

This "could" be a blessing in disguise.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck, John! I spent some time beating myself up with the "at my age" line. I'm 40. I don't know why I thought I'd finally "get it" at 30, 35, and 40, but I didn't. It just never got better. And the falls hurt worse, do more damage, and as I age and have fewer and fewer employment options I feel like I have more to lose with each passing year.

Well, you might not work your job in the summer, but you've committed to working on yourself. Congratulations and good luck!!!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really miss all the support I had in the past, but that's the past. This is the first time I'm doing it on my own. Running back and forth to the liquor store is just getting old. I'm actually relieved that I'll have a break. I'm a loner so being around a lot of people is not comfortable for me. I'll take it slow and read people out to see what they are about. I've been in rehabs before. Takes time to get a feel on where people are coming from. Not everyone is there to get sober. John
Old 06-12-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats a brave - and terrific - decision John.

I'm really proud of you

D
Old 06-12-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Takes time to get a feel on where people are coming from."

What does it matter about "them"?
Old 06-12-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish you the best. I hope this works for you.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I applaud your decision as well John. It won't be easy of course but make the best of your time there. Look at it as not only an opportunity to detox and stay sober, but really strive to see what you can take away with you. However long you are there the most important times will be the days and weeks after you get home - so learn as much as you can about what to do once you get there. SR is always here for you as well, hopefully you will be able to have some contact while you are there and let us know how you are doing.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, I think you've made a great decision and I know this will be a positive experience for you. Keep in touch when you can, and you know where to find us when you get back home.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I applaud your decision as well John. It won't be easy of course but make the best of your time there. Look at it as not only an opportunity to detox and stay sober, but really strive to see what you can take away with you. However long you are there the most important times will be the days and weeks after you get home - so learn as much as you can about what to do once you get there. SR is always here for you as well, hopefully you will be able to have some contact while you are there and let us know how you are doing.
I am in tears. John
Old 06-12-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I am in tears. John
I think part of those tears are probably because deep down you realize how critically important this is for you. And you also know you can do it - you've been sober before and you can indeed be again.

Maybe they are tears of joy and relief as well knowing you are on your way to better times.

Either way, it tells you that you have feelings and they are strong. Use them for change and you will go far.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That’s for sharing!. I sincerely support your decision to go to rehab. I just got out of a 30 day rehab stint myself, it has been very helpful and now I look to the SR community and A.A for support.

Good Luck to you John!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck John. I would be in rehab now if I had insurance. Good on you!
Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you, John. I think this is a good choice.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Best of luck, John. It's good you decided do what's best for you. This group will always be around to support you!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

All the best John, brave decision and will keep you in my thoughts xx
Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

wish you the best with this!
Old 06-13-2019, 05:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you, John. But I'm so proud of you for making such a hard but life changing decision for yourself. Its a great thing your doing. And you deserve it! You deserve all the support and help you can get so that you can find freedom from this horrible addiction. Good luck! Sending you hugs and well wishes on your sober journey!
Old 06-13-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you. I truly hope things go well for you!
Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, it turns out my insurance won't cover rehab in the place I was hoping to go. But the good news is I found a place close to where I live that does, and will be packing my bags and going in for detox this Saturday. While there, they will evaluate my situation and make recommendations on in or out patient programs. Not crazy about all of this but I know it has to be done. Trying to come up with reasons not to go, but they are just thoughts. Not gonna spend this summer going back and forth to the liquor store. John