Notices

50 days

Old 06-11-2019, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

50 days

Hi all,

I completed 50 days and then had a drink. I feel a but like a fraud here, my drinking was only weekends so I dont want to whinge. I gave up for a medical reason and it was pretty easy, except for the last week! Why did it become suddenly hard from day 40 onwards?

Back to day 1, feel deflated! Obviously, I need a new coping strategy.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A slip is not a relapse. They both are part of recovery. Progress not perfection, you have to WANT it. Consider this a slip, move on , get a plan before it becomes a relapse.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Firstly well done on 50 days, try to look at the benefits you felt during those 50. Take strength from knowing you can go that long, and it means you can do it again if you really want to. You are not a fraud. Hang in there
Old 06-11-2019, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome, you'll find a lot of support here.
I relapsed after a month. I relapsed after seven months.
My relapses actually started days before I took the first drink.
I wasn't going to AA meetings. I was complacent. I got careless and didn't put my sobriety first.
Sure enough, back on another binge.

It's been over ten years since I've had a drink. I still come here daily. I don't take my sobriety for granted. And most of all I'm reminded of what it's still like "Out there" in the drinking world. I never want to go back.

I had to change a lot of things in my life to maintain sobriety. It took me ten years of trying to finally make it this far. It wasn't easy.
You're here and that's a great start. Hang around, it's a great place and post before you drink.
It was a slip. Move past it and learn from it.
Best to you.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Slipping up is very common, you’ll find most people who have succeeded in giving up alcohol long term have had plenty of slip ups along the way. You’re definitely not a fraud, and should be really proud of what you have achieved and learnt. It took me eleven years to stop. My last drink was February this year and I’m now the longest I’ve ever been without a drink. What has made it more successful this time is exactly what someone has said above, you have to want it, and put it before anything else. Your recovery must be the number one priority in your life. Best of luck!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I completed 50 days and then had a drink. I feel a but like a fraud here, my drinking was only weekends so I dont want to whinge.
There's no entrance requirements here - if your drinking is a problem for you, you'll fit in just fine
I gave up for a medical reason and it was pretty easy, except for the last week! Why did it become suddenly hard from day 40 onwards?
I always tell people not to confuse abstinence with control.

People give up for medical reasons for example - but that fear only lasts so long....you feel good again and you start to think I haven't drunk for 40 days I feel great...maybe I over reacted...surely I can just stick to one or two now...

Abstinence did not mean control for me. No amount of time resets me.

My relationship with alcohol was is and always will betoxic.

D
Old 06-12-2019, 12:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

we live and LEARN....which is important
Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Listen, learn, absorb and apply many useful
tools and knowledge of addiction and recovery
and begin building a stronger, solid foundation
to live your life upon with one day at a time sober.

And never let got of your recovery
lifelines. SR is here for you with support,
love, care and understanding.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Howya!

I think anyone with the guts to say, "I feel like a fraud" has done some serious inner digging. I used to feel like that, too. So many others had gone so much farther down the scale that I secretly felt like I hadn't "earned" my seat in the AA rooms or the "right" to call myself an alcoholic. Now that I reflect on what I just typed it helps me see in black and white just what twisted nonsense our Alcoholic Voice tells us.

Like so many said, if drinking is a problem, you have a right to be here. What's more, your situation might be more relatable to someone else who's in a similar place, who can't yet relate to daily drinkers or the "traditional alcoholic."

Like someone else shared with me, "So you decided to ask for help before you lost it all? That's a gift. Hang onto it!"
Old 06-12-2019, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't look at it as defeated...look at it as a "renewed desire" to try again.

And if it doesn't work the next time...just keep trying...the more days you are sober the better...and if you string together day after day for a long period of time...possibly eventually the craving or whatever pushes you to return to this demon will pass.

Never give up...I'm not.