Notices

Clean sheets are the best!

Old 06-11-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clean sheets are the best!

It took me almost 2 weeks to get to the point where I could wash my sheets....

I did it first thing this morning on day 13...and can't wait to get into bed tonight....sober and I really hope I sleep better.

Last night I had insomnia and it was really rough....

I was going to log on but sometimes typing makes me even more awake....

Hope everyone is doing ok today....and today I had to have a difficult convo with my Father...he hadn't taken a shower in a week....

So we watched a video on You Tube about what happens to your body when you don't take a shower.

Thankfully, after the video he said "Well I guess I should take a shower"...Whew..LOL

But sitting there watching the 5 minute video with him and feeling ...feelings...about my Dads end of life is tough sober...but I was "present" and helpful....so I will continue on this path.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Clean sheets and freshly shaved legs...heaven.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Clean sheets and freshly shaved legs...heaven.
LMAO..the legs...yes, that was Sunday...lol.
Heaven...your so right....
Old 06-11-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, Missy!!! I agree crawling into bed a curling up in freshly washed sheets is the best! Sorry you didn't sleep, but glad you have something to look forward to you head to bed tonight!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nadt View Post
Hey, Missy!!! I agree crawling into bed a curling up in freshly washed sheets is the best! Sorry you didn't sleep, but glad you have something to look forward to you head to bed tonight!
Yea..if my son would just stop talking to me..it would be better....I don't get this KID...He is going to be 30....came back to live with me for seizures...

I have not made him pay a dime...but we talked 2 months ago and I said it is time he starts helping or I am going to lose the house....and I set his budget on what he has to pay based on his bills.

Then his car broke down in the middle of May...so I told him we would start June 1.....June 1 comes he gets paid that week and doesn't pay me...because FINALLY he has a girlfriend....so since it was only 60 he had to pay that week...I kinda let it slide and planned on addressing it this Thursday when he has to pay 225.

He just got home from work...He hasn't paid in 2 years...and the last 3 weeks has had his check completely to himself...and he tells me he is trying to figure out WHY his account is overdrafted...

My anxiety went to 110 immediately...I am holding back...but Thursday I don't care about his f-ing problems....I am telling him I NEED the 225..

WTF.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A thing I do with sheets. I put three bottom fitted sheets on my bed. Also three pillowcases. I only use a duvet comforter for the top. So when I feel the need for fresh sheets, I just strip off the top one and there is a clean one underneath. Works three times before I have to wash!
Old 06-11-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I take doxylamine succinate (Unisom - but make sure it's not the kind with the active ingredient in Benadryl in it) to help me sleep. I have personally seen no side effects, but it might make some people groggy.

If Benadryl gives you unwanted side effects, this probably will too. They're both antihistamines.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Too late for me to do laundry tonite but that's happening tomorrow for sure! Sharing little things like this helps me remember all the things we DO have. How many people are homeless, etc.

Reminds me of washing the house down last week. It looked so different it might as well have been resided! And all it cost me was some much-needed exercise, which was free!!!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
A thing I do with sheets. I put three bottom fitted sheets on my bed. Also three pillowcases. I only use a duvet comforter for the top. So when I feel the need for fresh sheets, I just strip off the top one and there is a clean one underneath. Works three times before I have to wash!
NO SA? NO...lol...you do not do this? LOL...this is the funniest thing I have heard.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
I take doxylamine succinate (Unisom - but make sure it's not the kind with the active ingredient in Benadryl in it) to help me sleep. I have personally seen no side effects, but it might make some people groggy.

If Benadryl gives you unwanted side effects, this probably will too. They're both antihistamines.
Yes "doxylamine" knocks you out.
I also have Trazadone I could have taken.

However, it was 2am and if I took either of them I would have felt MORE like crap today because no matter what time I go to bed...I can't seem to ever sleep past 730....So...I have the stuff...but didn't take it...tonight I am tired...and I have my gummy bears...and clean sheets...so hopefully its a good nights rest.

Thank you thou.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
Too late for me to do laundry tonite but that's happening tomorrow for sure! Sharing little things like this helps me remember all the things we DO have. How many people are homeless, etc.

Reminds me of washing the house down last week. It looked so different it might as well have been resided! And all it cost me was some much-needed exercise, which was free!!!
Yes Brian do your sheets! And that is cool you did your house while "withdrawing"? WHAT? I couldn't move at all for 5 days....

I got plenty of exercise yesterday thou mowing my Fathers lawn that was 2 feet high (and I'm not kidding..maybe 1.5 feet)...and that was after getting a lawn mower down the street for 35$ and getting it out of the trunk ALONE.

Um...yes...all the things I am grateful for...I am always grateful...I was even grateful while drunk....I am single....I worked my whole life...I've owned this house alone for over 20 years...its rough but I do it...and I'm blessed in that way.

My grass needs cutting tomorrow morning so you do your sheets..I will do MY grass.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Treated myself to four new sheet sets, two plush sateen from Brooklinen for the winter. The duvet cover is graphite and steel pinstripes and I got one queen set in each of the two colors.

The other two are linen for summer, the Brooklinen duvet is cream with charcoal gray stripes. One set of sheets is Brooklinen cream and the other is Parachute charcoal. The Brooklinen is like sleeping on air, truly life changing! The parachute is heavier and rougher but feels more durable, and they will soften every time they're washed. I know a lot of people don't like the wrinkly linen look, but OMG, sleeping on linen sheets is da bomb.

When I was drinking I washed and changed the sheets sporadically, with the new sheets I'll do it biweekly....weekly is suggested, but seems extreme. Duvet will only get washed at the season change.

I'm due to change back to the other linen set, the softer than soft Brooklinen. Fresh sheets really are amazing!

I don't shave my legs, although there were times when I was bodybuilding when I shaved everything. It felt weird! I tried getting waxed about a year ago (they called it a bro-zillian, lol), it was interesting, but feel no need to repeat that experience.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Treated myself to four new sheet sets, two plush sateen from Brooklinen for the winter. The duvet cover is graphite and steel pinstripes and I got one queen set in each of the two colors.

The other two are linen for summer, the Brooklinen duvet is cream with charcoal gray stripes. One set of sheets is Brooklinen cream and the other is Parachute charcoal. The Brooklinen is like sleeping on air, truly life changing! The parachute is heavier and rougher but feels more durable, and they will soften every time they're washed. I know a lot of people don't like the wrinkly linen look, but OMG, sleeping on linen sheets is da bomb.

When I was drinking I washed and changed the sheets sporadically, with the new sheets I'll do it biweekly....weekly is suggested, but seems extreme. Duvet will only get washed at the season change.

I'm due to change back to the other linen set, the softer than soft Brooklinen. Fresh sheets really are amazing!

I don't shave my legs, although there were times when I was bodybuilding when I shaved everything. It felt weird! I tried getting waxed about a year ago (they called it a bro-zillian, lol), it was interesting, but feel no need to repeat that experience.
Bro-zillian? LOL....

Sheets are pricey...I only have 3 pairs...but mostly I just keep washing the one set that is on the bed.

I also think weekly is a little bit overboard...but I think bi-weekly is a MUST.

And when I drink...my bed goes unchanged sometimes for 2 months!

Because the drinking month...I have to first recover for a week or a week and 1/2...then I have to do "other" house chores that I was neglecting....washing floors and tub and toilets are the worst.

I now do the toilet daily like I used to....and then the 2nd month I seem to finally get to the sheets....this time the sheets were a priority.

Today cutting the grass is.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am a clean-sheet freak, and I think psychologically they are a symbol of my self-care and a delight each night.

When I used to drink heavily, I was terrible about getting my sheets changed. I had large dogs then so they would get really dirty and I would essentially ignore it.

I also think it is symbolic for me of my life sober compared to my life drinking. Night and Day, totally. . .

Glad you are doing well
Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm happy that you're feeling good about what you're getting accomplished, Missy! When I didn't see you for a while yesterday I almost started a "searching for Missy" thread. Glad I didn't have to do that.
Have a good day!
Old 06-12-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, Misssy.
Re your dad, the hygiene kinda drops down to the bottom of the list for some elderly.
My mom wears the same clothes over and over.
If I can get to her before she gets dressed I can switch out for fresh clothing.
It’s tough. Many folks strongly resist help in that area. I know my mom does.
Something to think about: if your dad is not clean or his clothes are not clean and he has to to the emergency room for any reason, his condition will be noted.
He may be considered an at risk senior and social workers or elderly services organizations may get involved.
This isn’t necessarily bad. They can provide services, like meals on wheels, a life alert system if needed, physical and occupational therapy, personal care.
Your dad may need none of that yet.
Resources are out there when he does need them.