Notices

One week sober

Old 06-10-2019, 12:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week sober

Hi all,
I’m currently new to this - one week sober after years of abusing alcohol. I feel surprising ok at the moment just ridiculously tired but I’m sure there will be some bumps in the road at some point - I was hoping you guys could give me some words of wisdom on what to expect in the coming weeks

Thank you 😀
Old 06-10-2019, 01:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done on 1 week sober Katt, that’s a huge achievement

Try to set little goals for yourself, a daily goal or even hourly to help keep you focussed on anything but alcohol. I have replaced the empty evenings where’d I’d usually be drinking with a glass of water and a book/film/podcast, anything to keep the mind busy. I never used to enjoy those things as I would not even be paying attention while drunk. Its amazing what you enjoy more while sober.
For me after 2 weeks It already feels much better waking up with no hangover and awful feelings of regret. You will have some rocky moments and self doubt but keep reading on here if you can, i have found getting back on here a big inspiration. I can see people talking about their experiences who are now sober for many years and i cling on to that as something to aim for.
Above all dont be alone and share any of your daily thoughts and challenges with people here. Maybe join the daily 24 hour thread, you will feel some accomplishment every day which helps.
You can do this
Old 06-10-2019, 01:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Katt - great to have you join us

I think most people lack energy for a while - but it comes back. Hope yours does soon

D
Old 06-10-2019, 01:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome

Lots of good info.

A GP checkup and lots of meetings, as well as SR helped me greatly in the early days of my recovery.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katt121 View Post
Hi all,
I’m currently new to this - one week sober after years of abusing alcohol. I feel surprising ok at the moment just ridiculously tired but I’m sure there will be some bumps in the road at some point - I was hoping you guys could give me some words of wisdom on what to expect in the coming weeks

Thank you ��
I am newly sober on day 31 in terms of tiredness during my first week I was not able to keep my eyes open past the afternoon half the days, now I have the best energy levels since I was a kid and continues to get better each week! The tiredness will pass welcome to the site!
Old 06-10-2019, 02:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
welcome

Lots of good info.

A GP checkup and lots of meetings, as well as SR helped me greatly in the early days of my recovery.
Yes to this. Also, for me, a daily exercise routine has been critical to recovery. Can even start with a 10 minute walk with a goal to get to 2 miles over the coming months, increasing the time & speed over each coming day. Something sustainable.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
welcome

Lots of good info.

Yes to this. Also, for me, a daily exercise routine has been critical to recovery. Can even start with a 10 minute walk with a goal to get to 2 miles over the coming months, increasing the time & speed over each coming day. Something sustainable.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There' a lot of wisdom posted above, but the 2 gems that stand out to me are:

Originally Posted by Katt121 View Post
I was hoping you guys could give me some words of wisdom on what to expect in the coming weeks (1. Humility)

Thank you �� (2. Gratitude)
Appreciating what a gift it is to be able to be humble (real, honest humility/down-to-earth, not self-debasing) and grateful puts me in a position to benefit from everything much more. As soon as I start getting puffed up, overconfident, and think, "Ok, now I got this!", I might as well just go grab a case of beer.

This is Day 7 for me, too. And I had several hours a week ago to really soak in the despair that alcohol had caused me, but also to allow the gratitude for the gift of another day of life and another chance to let things right really sink in to my bones. At least I hope so. I can still recall that feeling at will, and try to do it daily.

To me the wisdom consists in approaching the world, God, others, the universe, etc. with precisely the disposition you're feeling now.

Then expect to be tested. The enemy HATES humility. I was tested yesterday, but this time my response was, "Ok, what do I expect? I drank heavily for 20 years, so, sure I'm going to have some "off" moments. I know the right thing to do in this situation. I'm not going to drink, and I'm going to trust the best will happen if I just try to do my best." And it did.

Don't fear the tests, but expect them That way when they come you don't say, "Oh, I knew I wasn't doing this right! I might as well drink!" Besides, I already said that over 1,000 times (at least once a week for 20 years) so it's unoriginal

You've got the keys of Humility and Gratitude in your hand. They can unlock many situations that open to treasures rather than remain closed in apathy and confusion.

Welcome, and Peace to you!
Old 06-10-2019, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So glad you are here!

I had to set very small goals too, and was very tired. Accomplishing even basic things like making the bed and tidying up were big - and if "all" I did that day was stay sober it was more than victory enough.

Healing takes time in all ways. I echo the suggestions about self care, gentleness, being involved here AND IRL - I started AA and there are plenty of other options.

A dr checkup to get a baseline of where we are after yrs of heavy drinking is very important, as well.

Keep going! Most important thing is being sober every day.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one week..its a HUGE accomplishment...In my mind the first week is the hardest to get thru because you feel so horrible.

The only advice I have is do whatever it takes one day at a time to not pick up that drink...its not easy sometimes...but worth it.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, Katt!!! Welcome!!! The advice above is awesome, so I don't have much to add except to say that this group is very helpful! I'm just starting day 6 on another attempt to get sober and I'm with ya-- exhausted! We've just got to stick with it and know it will keep getting better!

Glad you joined us!
Old 06-10-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One week is such a great start! I'm 286 days into it and I still get ridiculously tired....I think I'm just getting old.