Notices

Grateful for bump in the night

Old 06-08-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful for bump in the night

Just woke up to some loud bang a little before 2 am here. Any time that happens I try to pretend I didn't hear it and wanna hide under the covers. But I live alone, so if I ignore it it could be the last thing I do. Checked everything out and found nothing.

But it occurred to me...I'm sober this morning. How many times have I been passed out drunk when I would have been helpless if there really was a problem? Or in a hazy fog when a life-or-death decision would have been critical?

So I put the coffee on, logged on here, and gratefully begin Day 6 with yet another concrete reason to stay sober and give thanks!
Old 06-08-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on six days. And glad that thing that went bump in the night was nothing and that you're sober and clear headed had it been something.
Sometimes it's the little things that make me grateful.
Best to you.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad all is well Brain K.

D
Old 06-09-2019, 12:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Before I self-detoxed a couple of months ago, when I passed out sometimes I would wake and imagine I had heard things, or think something was in the room - I dont know what - so I was often leaving a light on. Maybe you imagine this bang ??

( I would also sometimes wake with my heart thumping madly, and many times I have woken choking and had to sit up for an hour or more with a burning throat. ).
Old 06-09-2019, 02:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are braver than I. There have been 2 loud, banging noises here tonight so I did what any reasonable person would do: locked my dogs and my kid in my room, silenced my phone, and listened really hard for any strange sounds. I’m a wimp anyway you slice it!

However, if something were to happen I could actually react - rather than slowly come out of the hazy, alcohol coma to try and figure out what is going on.

I’m glad you checked your house and all was fine.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Brian...you have been up SINCE 2am? Be careful today of feeling too tired...Maybe you can take a nap.

Not knowing what the loud bang was would really make me nervous...

But like some have said already...being able to jump up and react....is a really good feeling.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
Brian...you have been up SINCE 2am? Be careful today of feeling too tired...Maybe you can take a nap.

Not knowing what the loud bang was would really make me nervous...

But like some have said already...being able to jump up and react....is a really good feeling.
No, turned in around 10; woke up around 2...Turned back in and slept another 4 hours. I FINALLY feel that deeper rest I remember getting as I put more and more distance between me and booze. I have been consciously taking more naps, though. That's an awesome feeling to be able to say, "I need to do this for myself", take an hour, and feel so much better!
Old 06-09-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome, Brian!
Old 06-09-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sometimes when I am napping during the day, I imagine that I hear something, my spouse calling me or a sound.
Strange.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Brian. Glad you were able to celebrate something.... even if it was having to respond to a bump in the night.

I'm happy everything is ok. I appreciate all of your reflective posts. You have such insight.

I hope there are no bumps in your day.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nadt View Post
Brian. Glad you were able to celebrate something.... even if it was having to respond to a bump in the night.

I'm happy everything is ok. I appreciate all of your reflective posts. You have such insight.

I hope there are no bumps in your day.
Thank you!!! Actually, on the way to a meeting a couple hours ago I could feel a little anxiety and sense of avoidance building in me. I've been there before, it's a lead meeting so I don't have to share. I even like the chairs and how the room is set up! I drove past it the first time, which "the voice" would normally use as a sign to tell me I should go drink. The next place to turn around was a Baptist church...what a place for an alcoholic to make a "turnaround!" So I did and headed back to the meeting. The anxiety was still there, but someone else on here pointed out that this is life and death, and may be uncomfortable at times.

And the lead was awesome, and now I'm really glad I went. Still feeling a little anxious and avoidant about going to church this evening, but knowing I can come on here and share REALLY helps me to have something to focus on and get back home to!
Old 06-15-2019, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you're here and working so hard, Brian.

Sorry you got roused by a blast (of undetermined origin).

Please stay with us.