Notices

Solitaire

Old 06-08-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Solitaire

For some reason Solitaire for me is like taking a tranqualizer...I think because my brain has to focus on the cards and I can think a little bit about other stuff...but I don't dwell when I am playing..

It has become a nightly ritual at 10pm to play solitaire until 11...and see how many games I can win....its a "new" thing for me.

Anyone else have "new" nightly rituals that calm them?

I also will be listening to meditations tonight because I bought earplugs (when I shut the lights out)...these help with anxiety...I'm so busy "listening" to what they tell me to do...I don't have anxiety.

Insight Timer is an AWESOME free meditation app for your phone..with tons of categories to chose from, work, sleep, stress, anxiety, buddha, regular, tons...its a good app.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I really am glad to read about these suggestions! I will try them out. I used to play solitaire all the time, but haven't played in years.

I haven't had a chance to figure out a ritual just yet, but I will use your tips and try to get one started.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nadt View Post
I really am glad to read about these suggestions! I will try them out. I used to play solitaire all the time, but haven't played in years.

I haven't had a chance to figure out a ritual just yet, but I will use your tips and try to get one started.
Solitaire is good it is mindless...and I look forward to being mindless.

Also one of the meditations actually a few of them remind me...or whoever listens to them...that the world is shut down at night...no one needs you...it is OK to relax and I really love to hear that.....

NADT...you MADE IT THRU DAY 3......Thank God! Or whoever you believe in...the universe...whatever...cause it is NOT an EASY thing especially without medication.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was never much into video games but recently I have enjoyed playing old Nintendo games or tetris99 a few hours a week.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rd2quit View Post
I was never much into video games but recently I have enjoyed playing old Nintendo games or tetris99 a few hours a week.
I was never into them either....any games..but my Father was playing Solitaire one day when I was visiting and I tried it that night and now I am hooked.

Whatever works Rd2quit ....Nintendo is so OLD...LOL...I wish we still had one...I miss Mario brothers.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I play a lot of Solitaire and compeucher.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I play a lot of Solitaire and compeucher.
compeucher? What the heck is that?

I will look it up ..I'm sure it can't be explained easy..doesn't sound easy...lol.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Solitaire! I play it at night too. Also sudoku.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been scrolling through a few pages of The Lighter Side recovery follies thread on here. I leave the page open where i left off so I don't have to try to figure out something to do before bed. Just click on the tab and go on autopilot for a few minutes till I start yawning. Then I know it's time to turn in.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thnk you for the solitaire idea. I will try this because I am at day 1 again (posted elsewher) , after about two months sober, and I need to have some defences for when I want a drink.

I Sometimes go places on Google Maps.... and explore...
Old 06-09-2019, 02:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Funny this, I was actually looking up Solitaire and Minesweeper games on my phone yesterday! I have been playing a game called Empires & Puzzles on my phone for about a month, it's a fun little time-waster and I can play through my "turns"/etc in well under an hour. My wife plays some Match-3 type games and Tetris-like on her phone to zone out too.

For me this is something I have to be cautious of, though, because as silly as it might sound to some I was also a gaming addict. Heroin killed my World of Warcraft habit (hard to be Healing your group if you are literally facerolling your keyboard, nodded out), and my first MMO addiction was Ultima Online back in 1999. I played UO as recently as this past Winter, but had to stop because it was creeping back to obsessive play instead of "fun / relaxing". I have been gaming for ~35 years. I can recall getting rewarded at my babysitter's with time on the Atari before I was ever in kindergarten. I used to fake being ill in middle school so I could stay home and binge out on Sega Genesis / Super Nintendo. I've set alarms for 3am because that was the "best" time to do certain disputed content in online games. I can't recall ever calling off work over it, but even at the peak of heroin addiction I worked 2 jobs (one full time, one p/t) - I was a "working addict" until depression took over and I gave up on life.

This is why we can't have nice things

I don't really have a "nightly ritual", though, per se. Work typically leaves me physically exhausted to the point where once I am cleaned up and get something to eat, sleep comes sooner than I would like. Browsing imgur.com is something I find amusing and relaxing, or watching an enjoyable program on hulu/netflix/etc with the wife after dinner. In my younger years I did a_lot of reading, but for whatever reason it just puts me to sleep now. I find it aggravating to be dozing off while attempting to read, and I think part of that plays back into using and nodding out in the past.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yesss for Solitaire. It is/was a lifesaver. I cannot give up before I have won 3 hands .

Also crocheting - lifesaver.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
Solitaire! I play it at night too. Also sudoku.
i'm going to try sudoku....I can't do it on paper but my Father was doing it on the computer and I think I could do that.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
I've been scrolling through a few pages of The Lighter Side recovery follies thread on here. I leave the page open where i left off so I don't have to try to figure out something to do before bed. Just click on the tab and go on autopilot for a few minutes till I start yawning. Then I know it's time to turn in.
Hi Brian
Old 06-09-2019, 03:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ConfusedGuy View Post
Thnk you for the solitaire idea. I will try this because I am at day 1 again (posted elsewher) , after about two months sober, and I need to have some defences for when I want a drink.

I Sometimes go places on Google Maps.... and explore...
I like google maps also...and I know that you are 1 day again...but now hopefully you are day 2....
Old 06-09-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chance219 View Post
Funny this, I was actually looking up Solitaire and Minesweeper games on my phone yesterday! I have been playing a game called Empires & Puzzles on my phone for about a month, it's a fun little time-waster and I can play through my "turns"/etc in well under an hour. My wife plays some Match-3 type games and Tetris-like on her phone to zone out too.

For me this is something I have to be cautious of, though, because as silly as it might sound to some I was also a gaming addict. Heroin killed my World of Warcraft habit (hard to be Healing your group if you are literally facerolling your keyboard, nodded out), and my first MMO addiction was Ultima Online back in 1999. I played UO as recently as this past Winter, but had to stop because it was creeping back to obsessive play instead of "fun / relaxing". I have been gaming for ~35 years. I can recall getting rewarded at my babysitter's with time on the Atari before I was ever in kindergarten. I used to fake being ill in middle school so I could stay home and binge out on Sega Genesis / Super Nintendo. I've set alarms for 3am because that was the "best" time to do certain disputed content in online games. I can't recall ever calling off work over it, but even at the peak of heroin addiction I worked 2 jobs (one full time, one p/t) - I was a "working addict" until depression took over and I gave up on life.

This is why we can't have nice things

I don't really have a "nightly ritual", though, per se. Work typically leaves me physically exhausted to the point where once I am cleaned up and get something to eat, sleep comes sooner than I would like. Browsing imgur.com is something I find amusing and relaxing, or watching an enjoyable program on hulu/netflix/etc with the wife after dinner. In my younger years I did a_lot of reading, but for whatever reason it just puts me to sleep now. I find it aggravating to be dozing off while attempting to read, and I think part of that plays back into using and nodding out in the past.
Hi..yea doesn't sound like gaming is a very good thing for you to do..Sleep is actually a really good thing so if your going to sleep shortly after work that is really good in my opinion for your sobriety cause if we are not drinking we are definitely getting better sleep!
Old 06-09-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
Yesss for Solitaire. It is/was a lifesaver. I cannot give up before I have won 3 hands .

Also crocheting - lifesaver.
I usually don't give up till I win ONE hand...very rarely do I win 3 hands between 10-11pm....but that is funny that you won't give up.

I learned how to crochet last year during a 10 month sober period and knit as well....I have made some blankets...good idea...I should start another "sober" blanket.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Do you ever play Spider Solitaire? I'm hooked on that one.

https://www.free-spider-solitaire.com/
Old 06-09-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Do you ever play Spider Solitaire? I'm hooked on that one.

https://www.free-spider-solitaire.com/
Spider Solitaire is a choice on my solitaire app on the computer...and No I have never tried it....I get afraid that I will "fail" at something new..

Maybe I will try it soon but it would have to be during the day.

I think I am OCD or something....I don't like changing my routines...lol..but if I try it during the day and like it...than I will play it at night possibly.

I will try it Monday while I'm sitting at my Dads and he is eating his breakfast...
Old 06-09-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
I usually don't give up till I win ONE hand...very rarely do I win 3 hands between 10-11pm....but that is funny that you won't give up.

I learned how to crochet last year during a 10 month sober period and knit as well....I have made some blankets...good idea...I should start another "sober" blanket.
Your mention of blankets reminded of a lady at our church who crochets blankets for hospice patients, needy families, etc. You mentioned you have a lot of time to fill watching your dad. Just struck me that putting the two together might make the time more "useful". (Yeah, I know, all time is good and is a gift...) but sometimes knowing someone else is going to get some first-hand use out of what I'm doing helps motivate me to do something or stick with it. Just a thought...