Notices

Back again and doing well

Old 06-07-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Back again and doing well

Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted here, although I've been lurking occasionally.

I've been sober for almost 5 months, which is the longest stretch I've had since I was pregnant in 2013. In the time I've been sober life has been great: I've bought a house, I'm about to get married to the love of my life, I got a promotion at work. It's only with some reflection and perspective that I can attribute these milestones to my sobriety. Although I functioned at some level while drinking - it held me back and kept me in a holding pattern for many years.

In terms of how I *feel*, it's been a bit of a slog. I still have cravings and fantasize about drinking. My brain still feels like it's in a fog, and I feel somewhat detached from life most of the time. Physically I feel like I have constant minor health impairments that feel amplified. I never really got the "pink cloud" feeling this time around. When I'm not feeling detached, I have bouts of moodiness and crying (and I've never been much of a crier).

I know from experience and from reading others' stories that it can take time to feel somewhat normal or "good" again. Most importantly, my commitment to sobriety is ironclad and therefore I know I'll eventually get there.

I wanted to share my journey and put it out there in words. I'd like to use this thread to update/vent/share my experiences in the hopes it can help others and me as well.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your 5 months sober. I am on day 28 and have felt extremely held back my drinking and pretty annoyed about the situation i have dug myself into. I am glad you are reaching new milestones with your sobriety. Keep posting as it is inspiring!
Old 06-07-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

5 months is really awesome...and i'm sure your family is grateful...

Its hard at the "start" but it does get easier...Just never think you CAN drink again in safety....because I am living proof you can not....I am on Day 10.

In the past I have had 8 years, then 2 months, then 10 months....now I'm back to 10 days and it hasn't been easy to stay stopped....the first 8 years I look back on and I should have NEVER picked up a drink one day thinking I was cured.

This is never "cured"....keep going.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back shortshop - congratulations on your 5 months

D