Notices

Depressed

Old 06-06-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depressed

I have been sober for 30 days today.i have been to treatment and feel more depressed than ever,I don't feel like my normal self,it really sucks
Old 06-06-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, don't be so down on yourself. How long did it take for you to get to the point of going into treatment? My point is, it will take a long time to unwind that clock. Also, what a wonderful time to create a new and improved version of Ishel! What do you think?
Old 06-06-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR! Congrats on 30 days! That's Awesome!

After 30 days, you are not your normal self.
That was something I didn't know when I first got sober. I thought as soon as the drunk wore off I was back to normal. Oh no! Persistent alcohol use causes brain effects that last 90 days or more. If you're still not right at the 4 or 5 month point, you might need medical attention. Until then, keep on keeping on!
Old 06-06-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me a few months before I felt normal. Give yourself a few months sober and if you're still feeling depressed, see your doctor.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lshel33 View Post
I have been sober for 30 days today.i have been to treatment and feel more depressed than ever,I don't feel like my normal self,it really sucks
Congratulations on 30 days. You don't feel like your normal self because you're not your normal self yet. You probably haven't been your normal self for years if you're anything like a lot of us. It's something to look forward to, I think. I am only 20 days in, and I think I understand somewhat how you feel, although I'm feeling much better than I was in the first week.
Isn't it great to wake up and not feel hungover? Think of all the money you'll save. Think of the health benefits. Think of something positive and try to focus your mind on that. I know it's super hard when you're depressed, but sometimes you just have to fake it 'til you make it with reprogramming your mind. Just say, "I feel great!" with a big smile on your face. Say it over and over again. Eventually, you'll start to believe it, and it will be true.
Best of luck.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Ishel

I drank for 20 years so it took a little time for my mind and body to heal - but they both did. If you're really concerned it might be worth seeing your Dr, but please stick with it - it gets better

D
Old 06-06-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanx

I thank all of you,I did drink for over 25 years.just need time I guess
Old 06-06-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My way out has been exercise. The world shined a happy light on me for a while...good for you, great job on quitting, you are so strong etc etc.

After the shine wore off, I was left with my frazzled brain still adjusting to sobriety. Natural opiates, from exercise and helping folks, got me through. Adrenaline as well.

Sweets helped.

These days I crave sometimes, but sr taught me that if I relpase, I will regret it.

Without sr, the addiction would lure me back in. I almost got sucked in a while back, but sr talked me down.

I simply suffer sometimes, but most of the time, my new found sobriety is contrasting and amazing.

The world doesn't really care that I dont drink anymore...only me. I will surely regret a relapse and I don't know if i could pull out of another death spirl.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh no...if you feel like giving in to alcohol in my experience there isn't much anyone can say to change that feeling...I've been there....

But if you feel like fighting....my friend that helped me years ago...when I felt so depressed....made me go home and write 20 things I was grateful for about being sober....

Things like.
Waking up refreshed
No more drunk driving
No more puking.

After I wrote the 20 things...I was pretty proud of myself and it kept me going.
I hope you keep fighting....
Old 06-06-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

‘Normal’......

turns out, I’m not sure I’d ever even had a sense of what ‘normal’ might be.

but...... with time and steps and action and counseling and presence...... I learned

and it’s pretty fantastic
Old 06-06-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

"Natural opiates, from exercise and helping folks, got me through. Adrenaline as well.

Sweets helped."

THIS

Exercise is the most underutilized depression treatment
- The Internet