Notices

How long did it take.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How long did it take.

Just curious. How long did it take you after quitting booze, until you felt halfway human again and weren't constantly thinking you're going to go crazy?

Or how long until the little voice that tells you that just one bottle can take away all the pain and that you can try again later, when you're more ready? (yeah right...) If it ever does, that is.

40 hours and still ticking.

Thank you hive-mind.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm afraid to tell you, for fear of discouraging you. But let me say this: Be patient. You drank for 25 years. It's going to take a little bit of time to recover from that. Not years, but not hours either.

It's worth it. Stay strong.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me several months before I was feeling 'good' again. One thing I did that helped my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me what seemed like forever. I'm at 130 days and with each day I am getting better, ever so slowly.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not yet a couple weeks into my journey, but I've been sober before for long stretches. I'm with least. It takes several months. For me this time around the emotional ups and downs are what is taking a toll. Glad I have something to look forward to every minute of every day and that is sobriety. It just keeps getting better and better!
Old 06-06-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The physical part took about five days for me. The mental part is forever, but it really comes down to how badly you want sobriety. Three weeks in, I feel pretty good and the little nagging voice trying to give me reasons to drink is getting less and less persistent with each day.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am at 7 1/2 months now. It gets easier and easier which kept me motivated. I would say right around the 6 month mark I was fully comfortable in my sobriety. In other words, there aren't situations I worry about because of alcohol. Weddings, parties, sporting events, BBQs, I now enjoy more than ever happy and sober.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by benitoD View Post
Just curious. How long did it take you after quitting booze, until you felt halfway human again and weren't constantly thinking you're going to go crazy?

Or how long until the little voice that tells you that just one bottle can take away all the pain and that you can try again later, when you're more ready? (yeah right...) If it ever does, that is.

40 hours and still ticking.

Thank you hive-mind.
I think the self-awareness of your "yeah right" response shows some serious progress already. You're not trying to lie to yourself, and for me that's all I did was lie to myself when I drank. I make up some BS excuse to drink, blow some little thing all out of proportion (like I almost did today ), get a buzz and make all these grandiose plans (and phone calls and emails and re-open my facebook account ), then come to the next day, sheepishly look at what I'd done on my phone and online and begin composing apologies

But today I'm on here, finishing up Day 3 sober, appreciating where you're coming from, and offloading some of my own baggage. However "boring" tonight might be, I will wake up tomorrow feeling SO much better than any hangover!
Old 06-06-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i never really knew what it felt like to be human so i had no idea what that idea what being human was supposed to feel/be like.

i stopped feeling like i was going crazy real quick- about the time i realized i already was crazy.

the mental obsession,the part of my thinkin that said,"drink" for everything, was gone about 6 months in. early on there were days i had to not drink one second at a time.

HOWEVER
i didnt just put the bottle down. i did a LOT of work on myself for thise 6 months and beyond.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had other complications but I felt better after 30 days. Some people feel better before that, and some later.

40 hours is very early in - but I hope you'll feel better soon bD.

D
Old 06-06-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There’s different types of feeling better so this is a difficult question to answer.

Physically, I felt better within the first week.
Emotionally, I felt better by 6 months.
Craving-wise, I felt better by 6 months as well. I still get cravings, but they are short lived and don’t happen very often.

Another member posted recently about HALT(S) Have you heard of that? When you have a craving, HALT(S$(stop) and check if you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired, and/or Stressed. You may identify one of those as an area of need and addressing that helps you ride out the craving.

Hang in there....it gets better.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Benito. I'm on day 20 and I was a heavy drinker. Half a bottle of vodka per night, neat, didn't even bother with a glass, straight from the bottle.

The first three days were the worst. A complete and utter nightmare of anxiety, irritation, night sweats, and the cravings were through the roof.

Somehow, what was even worse was the boredom, how can I get through the evening sober? What the **** am I supposed to do with myself? The evenings are dead time, you have to be alone with yourself inside your head...sober! Urgh.

Tip One. If you can get hold of some diazepam from your Dr that will help somewhat.

After three days I stopped freaking out, but I still found myself sitting there in front of the TV wishing I had a bottle in my sweaty little hand.

Tip Two. The truth is that you just have to ride it out...I'd jump up and do star jumps to get ride out the surges.

I started feeling better after about four or five days. Even went to a function on that first weekend and stuck to mocktails.

Tip Three. The longer you stick it out the easier it gets, and the stronger you feel.

Today at day 20, I'm looking at my third weekend without booze.

Yes I'd still love to buy a bottle of Absolute and find my happy, cozy, warm place inside that bubble...but I know that I can handle going without. I know that if I give in I will wallow in filthy regret tomorrow morning, that I'll be throwing away my progress thus far, and I've worked too bloody hard to get to day 20 without booze. I hope I can make day 30, 40, 50 etc etc.

So Benito, hang in there. This is as bad as it gets. You've done 40+ hours and that's HUGE!
Old 06-06-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’m not an AAer, but there is something to the ‘one day at a time thing’. You have already strung along a lot of hours, now string along a few days and you will see the magic unfold.
Every day it will get a little bit easier (although on some days the pendulum will swing back). Just keep your eyes on the prize, work whatever program you’ve got, check SR multiple times a day, and practice gratitude. Do not reopen the door to the past!
Old 06-06-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Honestly the first time I quit for 8 years...it took me ONE YEAR to finally realize I wasn't thinking of a drink....But I just stayed sober one day at a time...and I had support and a lot of "fear" of what was going to happen to me if I kept drinking.

I think you really have to be sick and tired of being sick and tired. Many people get over the thinking and craving SOONER...My friend I met did not crave as I did and I think her cravings lasted about 3 months.

All depends on how sick you are...but you have to fight the cravings....and its work but it is worth it.

I relapsed 5 years ago...but that was only because I thought after 8 YEARS I was cured....I wasn't craving a drink at all....I just had a passing thought that I could drink cause it had been so long.

I was wrong...I'm on day 9 right now...the longest I have been able to put together in the last 5 years is 10 months..last year....
Old 06-06-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

By focusing on sobriety actions rather than the questions of how long and when....

by by accepting that sobriety means living life and that it would be a process......

by actively doing something with my sobriety every day and by choosing to trust in the process....

I was able to free myself from not only addiction but from much of the suffering of my life and now, going on six years later, I’m still living sobriety and never have to deal with the struggles of addiction and alcoholism again.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It took a good 4-5 months to accept I could never really drink again. I was like, I will go a month, six months, a year, 5 years, a decade. Around that 4-5-6 month mark I accepted who and what I am.
I rarely get thoughts of drinking and when I do, I can speed up playing the tape through. Today I was mowing the lawn, with the push mower, a 2 hour ordeal. I thought about wine and having some. So the thought process went, wine, yum, bad Horsie, it is 1pm, you are mowing the lawn, dehydrating yourself, you have to pick the kids up, it's soccer night. Then barn chores, including a horse with pink eye, in quarantine, who reared and struck you this morning when you gave medicine. By the time you can drink, it will be bedtime. 5am start tomorrow, you work in the city, battling weekend traffic home... Eventually I just laughed out loud at the absurdity of it.
I occasionally get a drinking dream. They still unsettle me, but now they only show up every three to four months.
I felt awesome as soon as I quit drinking, took months to accept it as permanent, anxiety cooled at 6 months, but honestly, the first year I was a blind kitten. One rough year mentally, when I get to live every day sober and healthy, small price.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Originally Posted by ImNotThatGuy View Post
The physical part took about five days for me. The mental part is forever, but it really comes down to how badly you want sobriety. Three weeks in, I feel pretty good and the little nagging voice trying to give me reasons to drink is getting less and less persistent with each day.
Completely agree
Old 06-07-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's different for everyone. I never felt like I was going crazy. While I was drinking, I felt mentally sick for sure. That went away after a week without a drink, and it coincided exactly when I first knew I was never going to have to drink again.

That little voice took much longer. It chattered at me for almost a year. But after I realized I would never drink again, it was just a mild annoyance.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry to point this out, but when measuring your sobriety after years of drinking, hours are not a very big unit of time.

For me physically, I started feeling better after a few weeks. It took a year for me to think that I might have made it this time. I had to cycle through the annual events, holidays, family events, unstructured vacation time, etc.

Now at 9+ years of sobriety, my sobriety behaviors are firmly in place and I rarely think about alcohol. But I know life will test me someday in the future, the death of my wife or a child are a couple of things that could rock my world. So lifelong vigilance is necessary.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Benito- SO glad you are here.

And at 40 hours....I was still literally processing alcohol out of my body. I'd suggest you be gentle- very gentle- with yourself right now and focus on today, in whatever increments of hours, half hours, whatever you need to keep going.

I knew I could never drink again but the process of answering your very valid questions had to start well after where you are now - like Zebra said, days, weeks and months mean very different things as you get sober.

I hope you can rest and drink whatever NA sounds good- at first I think I wanted tons of diet cherry sprite Eat if you can. Do whatever you need to distract yourself.

As son as possible, I'd suggest going to an AA meeting- it doesn't have to be a program you choose, but it can def be a way to occupy and hour or so here in this critical period.

Stay with us- and keep asking questions as your days and weeks and months can add up as you stay sober. Lots of us to help with suggestions about all points in time.