Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

*************Day 209***************

Seems that I post weekly now.
Just days shy of 7 months. So what's happened in this short time:
*Lost 26 kg
*Dropped cholesterol and blood pressure pills
*Have not taken one single day "sick" from work
*In the final stages of my dream job where there were 6500 applicants for 235 positions
*Gained my self respect, confidence and self worth back
*Enjoying life with sober lenses
*The depression and anxiety I thought I was suffering to the point of almost going on meds now non existent
*Some "friends" had to go or just dropped of the radar
*Don't hang around pubs/bars anymore, why would I as the primary purpose is drinking. Sitting guzzling sparkling water amongst drunks not my idea of fun
*Enjoy going to restaurants and theatre and actually remembering the whole experience
*Finding inner peace, calmness and being able to sit in the moment and just be
*I am actually a nice guy, I am friendly, logical, approachable and helpful. All the things that alcohol took away from me
*Most importantly I can clearly see what Alcohol is. What it does how it works and affects people. Sitting on the sideline and I can tell when a person has been affected by alcohol. I don't like it. Maybe it is too close to the bone for me and brings back memories. I don't know.

I don't miss it. What I reminisce at times is the madness of the night outs with friends doing stupid silly things. Staying up all night and drinking at sunrise on a beach for example. That used to be fun.
But I also now clearly remember how I had to start drinking straight away once I woke up from that "sleep" in the afternoon to feel half normal. That was not normal. My friends could just say they were hangover and not continue drinking. I HAD to continue. I continued for years.
Will I stay sober forever I ask myself at times. Sobriety has given me all that I lost over the decades. I have never been sober this long so not sure if I could drink again. I know moderating doesn't work from reading here. I am giving myself 1 year to have all the firsts and think about it then. The way I am going there is nothing that alcohol could add to my life. I think over the next months that decision will be even stronger in my mind.
The endless opportunities that sobriety has given me would never have happened if I had stayed drinking. I would still be that fat grumpy selfish "old" drunk.

This is quite an interesting journey!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 7 months sober! I'm glad things are going well for you.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

26Kg is a massive amount! Well done. All the alcohol money you’ve saved must’ve been spent on new clothes 😀

You know the answer to your moderation question. And why would you drink when you’re now a superman.

The irony is I lost 22kg whilst cutting down from a bottle of wine to half a bottle of wine a day*, but that was mainly through diet and exercise. Since I stopped drinking at all, I haven’t lost any weight, but I’m fairly slim now and scaled back the exercise.

* Although I cut diown, I always craved for more alcohol after I’d gulped down my daily allowance of wine. That’s no fun, and I would’ve eventually increased that amount. I can’t emphasise enough how much easier it was to quit altogether (5 months ago)

And now I’m a superman like sydneyman 😀
Old 06-05-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job! Passing each 100 mark is awesome (days in between too of course ). Keep going.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Congratulations 209 sounds so far away and you did it!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
26Kg is a massive amount! Well done. All the alcohol money you’ve saved must’ve been spent on new clothes 😀

You know the answer to your moderation question. And why would you drink when you’re now a superman.

The irony is I lost 22kg whilst cutting down from a bottle of wine to half a bottle of wine a day*, but that was mainly through diet and exercise. Since I stopped drinking at all, I haven’t lost any weight, but I’m fairly slim now and scaled back the exercise.

* Although I cut diown, I always craved for more alcohol after I’d gulped down my daily allowance of wine. That’s no fun, and I would’ve eventually increased that amount. I can’t emphasise enough how much easier it was to quit altogether (5 months ago)

And now I’m a superman like sydneyman 😀

I was crazy.. I watched my diet, low carb Paleo etc. But kept drinking!! I knew the body would burn the alcohol for fuel before using stored fat. I still kept drinking. I am a tall guy 6,2 muscular so a 26kg loss is not too drastic as it sounds but still a lot. Next week having liposculpture done so will boost my self image even more. So new inside and out.

Go superman!!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

7 months - how wonderful, sydneyman! We are so proud of you.
Loved your uplifting post.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like everything is going great!

If I made a list of all the positive things that have happened in my life (Day 281) I think our lists would look very similar!

Rock on!
Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Sydneyman, on almost seven months.

I find it absolutely amazing that while drinking a day would turn into a week, a week into a month, months into years, not being able to distinguish one day from another. But when I got sober I could tell you the exact number of days I had been without a drink. As my sponsor often reminded me, I earned my sobriety one day at a time. Now, the year has turned into years, and years, and years of being sober, still, one day at a time.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
I was crazy.. I watched my diet, low carb Paleo etc. But kept drinking!! I knew the body would burn the alcohol for fuel before using stored fat. I still kept drinking. I am a tall guy 6,2 muscular so a 26kg loss is not too drastic as it sounds but still a lot. Next week having liposculpture done so will boost my self image even more. So new inside and out.

Go superman!!!!
I’m 6 foot, and my 22Kg was a huge amount, so don’t sell yourself short with your weight loss.

Now I’m curious, though. Did you lose weight as a result of the low carb diet, etc, or because you stopped drinking (or both)?

I find it ironic that I’ve not lost any more weight since I stopped drinking for good - although as said I’ve scaled back the exercise slightly. But even if I wasn’t putting on weight drinking half a bottle of wine a day, I certainly wasn’t doing well.

Unless someone’s drinking huge amounts, I don’t really (my opinion) equate stopping drinking with weight loss. My (former) half bottle a day equates to around 400 calories, which isn’t a huge amount. I also eat a lot more now I’m sober and healthy which must cancel out the “lost” calories. Besides weight issues, all that booze was causing us damage, and look at us now.

Liposuction? I’ve got this image of six packs (abs, not cans). You’ve really done well.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go sydneyman, well done sir.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats man

D
Old 06-05-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
OX

Awesome!
Old 06-06-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

I’m 6 foot, and my 22Kg was a huge amount, so don’t sell yourself short with your weight loss.

Now I’m curious, though. Did you lose weight as a result of the low carb diet, etc, or because you stopped drinking (or both)?

I find it ironic that I’ve not lost any more weight since I stopped drinking for good - although as said I’ve scaled back the exercise slightly. But even if I wasn’t putting on weight drinking half a bottle of wine a day, I certainly wasn’t doing well.

Unless someone’s drinking huge amounts, I don’t really (my opinion) equate stopping drinking with weight loss. My (former) half bottle a day equates to around 400 calories, which isn’t a huge amount. I also eat a lot more now I’m sober and healthy which must cancel out the “lost” calories. Besides weight issues, all that booze was causing us damage, and look at us now.

Liposuction? I’ve got this image of six packs (abs, not cans). You’ve really done well.
I think it was a mix of both low carb and ditching the booze. I was easily 1-2 bottles/wine a day that's a good day (working day) double that for fri/sat/sun..
The bloating was gone before the weight dropped. I had HUGE sugar cravings the first few months, from going from "I don't like sweets" to eating buckets of ice cream and sweets. Then suddenly that sugar craving was gone as well. Strange. A good strange
Yes next week I will have abs showing first time in decades.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was on another forum and was criticised for saying sugary drinks were a bad substitute for alcohol. Within reason, I’d say anything is OK if someone is giving up alcohol. Yes, sugar is unhealthy, but it’s way less addictive and harmful than alcohol.

You’re proof of this. I bet it was easier to give up the sugar than it was to stop drinking.