Notices

Another try

Old 06-04-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another try

hi all

I first signed up here in 2014 and with support of a lot of people here, i managed to go 3 months without any drink. Unfortunately i could not sustain this due to my mental health, today i am back 5 years on and a few more grey hairs and a few more problems in my life but still drinking. Well, i am currently 1 week into sobriety for the first time since 2014 and wondering if there is a way back out of this. I hope there is, i will try my best. I wish everyone else strength and support as we try and get through day by day. See you in the threads. Love and best wishes to all.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Welcome back tic!

I have certainly been a chronic relapser, for the past 10 years. I am on day 18 and something feels different this time. I’m going to meetings, talking to people, offering to help, trying to read and post on others’ threads not just my own, reading the big book and really trying to digest the material, and really I’m just looking for anything i can to feed my sobriety right now. The barriers i had before of shame, guilt, embarrassment, feeling like i dont belong are either gone or diminished compared to the kind of alcoholic/addict I’ve become. Anything is better than taking a drink for me and i see that now. I can only share my experience n hopefully it helps in any small way. Have a great day!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back tictoc, you can do this!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! A week sober is a great start.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
Welcome back tic!

I have certainly been a chronic relapser, for the past 10 years. I am on day 18 and something feels different this time. I’m going to meetings, talking to people, offering to help, trying to read and post on others’ threads not just my own, reading the big book and really trying to digest the material, and really I’m just looking for anything i can to feed my sobriety right now. The barriers i had before of shame, guilt, embarrassment, feeling like i dont belong are either gone or diminished compared to the kind of alcoholic/addict I’ve become. Anything is better than taking a drink for me and i see that now. I can only share my experience n hopefully it helps in any small way. Have a great day!
I have not had any help or been to any meetings and I feel like thats my downfall. I keep it all inside me and drink on my own and have nobody to talk to about it.feel like i would be judged and humiliated. Not logical i know. Its a big leap to go to meetings, you are doing great by being open to people and letting people help. Its great to hear!
Old 06-04-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Meetings are interesting.

Get there right as it starts. Sit quietly. Totally harmless, might save your life. Talk or not, it's all up to you. They don't make you stand up in front of everyone, you don't have to say anything to anyone at all unless you want to - meetings are pretty laid back in my experience. Go at your own pace, have a cookie.

But save your life.

Maybe make a sober friend. Or a friend who understands, at least.

Welcome back Tictoc.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Pm sent..
Old 06-04-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back tictoc

In order to stay in recovery/sober, I had to address other issues as well - for me that was most;y physical health but mental health was in there too.

I really encourage you to find help for whatever your mental health issues are - I think you'll probably find them a little easier to tackle with the right professional help and without alcohol

and...real;y throw yourself into this community - post often, even if ts to help someone else

D
Old 06-05-2019, 12:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back tictoc

In order to stay in recovery/sober, I had to address other issues as well - for me that was most;y physical health but mental health was in there too.

I really encourage you to find help for whatever your mental health issues are - I think you'll probably find them a little easier to tackle with the right professional help and without alcohol

and...real;y throw yourself into this community - post often, even if ts to help someone else

D
thank you Dee, I have talked to my GP (2 years ago) about my worries and he signed me off work for a month, it was counter-productive though as I then had more time for bad things take over. I have a new doctor who is unaware of this but i will talk to him next time I go. I dont know where else to go for this kind of thing, hence I came to chat on here. Hope you are doing well
Old 06-05-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tictoc View Post
Thank you all

I have not had any help or been to any meetings and I feel like thats my downfall. I keep it all inside me and drink on my own and have nobody to talk to about it.feel like i would be judged and humiliated. Not logical i know. Its a big leap to go to meetings, you are doing great by being open to people and letting people help. Its great to hear!
I always had that sneaking suspicion, too. And I've been in and out of the program for 12 years. And yet no one ever shook their head when I walked back in the doors. But I let the voice of the Enemy get going in my head and talk me out of it too many times. What was really awesome was when I'd been going to a meeting for a couple weeks and becoming a little bit of a "regular", and then another person with their first 24 hours sobriety came, and I could really feel why no one ever shamed me: compassion. This outpouring of kindness and joy that I was feeling for someone else having the guts to step in the door was what those people were feeling towards me, too! Only took me a couple decades to realize it
Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back to us, Tictoc! Good suggestions above to get started & for me, getting the alcohol out was the key to properly addressing mental health issues.