Notices

Day 5 - Panic Attacks?

Old 05-31-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 - Panic Attacks?

I've started having what I can only guess are mini panic attacks, where for about 20 seconds, I suddenly have a hot wave rush over me, I get a choking sensation and struggle to breathe/swallow, and my heart races. A few deep breaths and it starts to subside. Is this normal at this point (day 5)??
Old 05-31-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've had panic attacks - I don't know if that's what you're experiencing. Maybe.

Five days is right in the window for all kinds of things to happen. Have you seen your doctor? Might be a good idea.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sure it is all part of the recovery process...i'm on Day 4 and still feel like so horrible...it was such an effort to even take a shower. So depending on how bad your last drunk was I would say this is perfectly normal.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I dealt with both Panic attacks and general anxiety for a long time prior to quitting, and it definitely got worse during withdrawals. Makes sense too because alcohol is central nervous system depressant drug, so when you take it away your body and mind will react.

There are certainly differences between anxiety and panic purely because of withdrawal and clininical anxiety, but it's hard to know the difference until you fully detox. If you have concerns it's never a bad idea to check with a doctor just to make sure you are OK.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I also used to get panic and anxiety attacks when I was drinking. I would usually just consume more which made it worse.

When I decided to quit drinking the anxiety just got so unbearable, it unfortunately took months to really calm down and a couple of years to basically diseaper. I am pretty sure I had done so much damage over my drinking years that all that time was needed just to begin repairing what I had done.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had anxiety / panic attacks in early withdrawal several times. In particular, I found myself extremely anxious driving in traffic, crossing over large bridges, etc. and that was something that didn't used to happen when I'd stop. I would also have hot flashes and my face would flush heavily red for short period of time.

I saw it as progression of my addiction, and that was one chilling factor that got me serious about sobriety. I have to be able to drive safely for my work and my life. Now I see it as a positive because it was a clear warning sign that I had to stop. Consequences have a way of doing that

These days, no panic attacks and very little anxiety. It was absolutely connected to alcohol. I think you will feel better soon, but seeing your doctor might be a good idea if this persists or gets any worse.

Congrats on 5 days!
Old 05-31-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well they were normal for me, but I suffered both panic attacks and anxiety before I ever started drinking.

I'm the least anxious I've ever been now so not drinking has definitely been the way forward for me

D
Old 05-31-2019, 08:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 5 in my experience and from what I've read over the years, is a real stinker. Good news is, get over this 24 hours and you'll start to feel a whole lot better
Hang in there!!
Old 05-31-2019, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
2na

It will be okay

I spent the day taking things to donate and throw away.
think of it this way,
If I was to die tomorrow, who would care if I made sure the plastic bag went into the proper recycling container
Old 05-31-2019, 08:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2na

Is it panic or anger or fear??

I never know if I'm angry,
angry about where I am,
what i have let go-lost

Panic, I messed up so bad.
I knew better.
What if I do it again ?

Fear- comes back to what if?
Old 05-31-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I guess this changes from person to person.

In my case, after binge drinking, it will take me like two weeks to calm down (I'm not kidding). It was horrible. It got worse and worse as the years went by.

In the end, it's just not worth going through that for barely 3 hours of... well, not even fun, you mainly drink until you pass out.

You'll be fine, for sure. However, if you're truly worried about your health, you could go to the doctor !

Keep strong
Old 06-01-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Panic attacks are among the worst of God's creations. Nothing more makes me want to put a bullet in my nugget. That said, the majority of mine have disappeared completely once I was completely sober.

Keep at it.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going BillyFries?

D
Old 06-01-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Oddly enough I haven’t had one episode today, although maybe it’s because it’s the weekend and I’m not at work stressed out. So far so good on day 6....
Old 06-01-2019, 08:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear

D
Old 06-02-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this, Billy.

I certainly had panic attacks early on in sobriety (in my case, in treatment and in early 12 step meetings).

But they eventually (and rather quickly) went away.

Glad you're here, brother.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SIB

Mine were the worst the day after drinking right after I'd eat, BOOM panic attack.

Now on day 122 sober they and the anxiety are long gone

I wonder how many people would drink if there was a warning label on the bottle that said "side effects may include depression, anxiety and panic attacks"