Notices

Something feels different

Old 05-31-2019, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something feels different

Morning guys I got over day 1...phew nothing can explain how I felt this morning expecting to still feel drunk wonder how I got in bed and the usual disgusting things associated with it..when I realised I had done it and fought through the shakes sickness etc it made me feel good..something i havnt felt in ages...this time feels different because for once I've told people I can't keep it a secret anymore..my family friendsdoctor and colleagues now know..my worst ever fear come true..they obviously could see me drowning but I was the best excuse maker ever when it came to why I looked and felt sick all the time...my boss sent me a text the other day congratulating me on coming clean and said she can't wait to see my pretty face shine again....it keeps playing in my mind how I looked when I started the job 4 yrs ago to how I look now and how I can't wait to look and feel good again...some days I haven't even brushe'd my hair after a 2 day vodka binge when I used to so proud of my appearance..also the other thing that feels different is joining this site I've deleted Facebook and other stuff for now and will solely be on here and educating myself on addiction and making sure I can do day 3..4..etc...I'm still scared and the little voice is still there trying to tell me this is stupid and i know this is early and i have a lot of work to do but I feel something different in my soul I really know this is it and I'm so glad to say goodbye to those dark days...thanks for listining to me ramble and I hope you all have a lovely day
Old 05-31-2019, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You've taken a very important first step. I wish you all the strength and persistence to keep taking the next ones. A journey always starts with the first one, so make the journey a great one!
Old 05-31-2019, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first day of your new life...congratulations!

My advice would be to read around SR. There are many roads to recovery and they are discussed on different forums. There is also a Class of May thread here where others who are just starting out can support each other.

Make sobriety your #1 priority.

It’s good to have you with us ❤️
Old 05-31-2019, 03:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this Louise.
Its great to be on this journey with you

D
Old 05-31-2019, 03:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Lousie well done! I always find the first 24 hours to be the hardest. Stick with it even when its hard. I would suggest joining AA or NA if you can.
It won't be easy but as the days go by you will see your eyes and your skin change.Mine was glowing after a week. I loved looking at myself in the morror.

I almost had a month of being clean and then slipped for a few days. I am back to Day 2 but happy with my progress so far.

Rooting for you. Happy days
Old 05-31-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's like waking up from a bad dream into a beautiful world. You will be surprised how soon you eyes will be shining and clear again. . .
Old 05-31-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Louise! My last day 1 felt different too. I knew I'd had enough. I knew I wanted life to be different. I knew I wanted to like myself again. Fast forward 940 days to today and I can honestly say sobriety has delivered on everything I wanted. It's exceeded my expectations .... It continues to exceed my expectations. It wasn't always easy ..... But it was the best decision I've ever made. I value my sobriety so much, I will never take it for granted. I still use this site, I check in on the 24 hour thread every day. I still read posts and blogs and books about addiction and recovery. I need to learn as much as I can because I can never afford to let my guard down. I never want to go back to the days of drinking. If you need any inspiration to keep going, this is some of the stuff that has happened in my life since I stopped drinking.....

Promoted at work (twice)
Sorted out my house, did building work and redecorated every room,
Became a far better, more patient mum. My kids are all happy and doing well at school,
Fell in love with my husband all over again,
Repaired fractured relationships with my siblings,
Cut all toxic people out of my life,
Made loads of new friends,
Started doing yoga, meditation, reiki
Ran the London marathon,
Wrote my first book.... Currently writing my second,
Lost weight and became fitter and stronger than I've been my whole life,
Volunteer for charity.... Replaced self pity with gratitude
Started to like myself again,
Started to realise I only have one life and I don't want to waste one more single moment.

Keep going Louise. Feel proud of yourself for making the decision to stop drinking and never, ever doubt the decision. You will never regret it xxxx
Old 05-31-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Louise and welcome! The first few days are rough sailing, but it's worth it after the storm clears. Keep it up!
Old 05-31-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I have always been doing ok in life too. Drove a car I liked, had a house, money in the bank whatever. I never had job happiness really, but working got me the money I needed to live the basic American dream.

I remember having that feeling of doing alright except I was a fat actively addicted drunk. My energy levels were zip, my patience was nil, i had deep red eyes most of the time.

I remember seeing folks that i thought were not as well off as me, not sure how i made that judgement, who had bright white eyes and seemed to be very happy and content.

I wanted that.

I suffered hell on earth for about 2 to 3 years getting clean and normal. Now I see the real me and he is not bad.

I am still learning though since I haven't ever been sober since I was a pre teen.

I have several sober role models at work. All used to drink and quit. Just like me.

We have a silent alliance that maybe I only know about. I don't talk about quitting drinking too much at work. I have a little bit, but that ship sailed. The shine of quitting being a drunk is over. Now there is just sober life.

It is amazing. Thank God for SR. I was lost until I found this place via a Google search. The internet saved my life.

I stay clean by any means.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One day, and a big step. It almost seems overwhelming now, but it gets easier, and eventually joyful.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
since I stopped drinking.....

Promoted at work (twice)
Sorted out my house, did building work and redecorated every room,
Became a far better, more patient mum. My kids are all happy and doing well at school,
Fell in love with my husband all over again,
Repaired fractured relationships with my siblings,
Cut all toxic people out of my life,
Made loads of new friends,
Started doing yoga, meditation, reiki
Ran the London marathon,
Wrote my first book.... Currently writing my second,
Lost weight and became fitter and stronger than I've been my whole life,
Volunteer for charity.... Replaced self pity with gratitude
Started to like myself again,
Started to realise I only have one life and I don't want to waste one more single moment.

Keep going Louise. Feel proud of yourself for making the decision to stop drinking and never, ever doubt the decision. You will never regret it xxxx
Wow how inspiring. Thank you for your amazing achievement list. If that's not inspiring then I don't know what is
Old 05-31-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

When I admitted to others how bad my drinking was and that I needed to quit, it changed everything for me. It forced me to be accountable, and I needed that. I have had nothing but support from my family and most of my friends, and at work. I felt different when I came clean, too, and knew deep down I was done forever. But at the same time, I got help. Went to outpatient treatment, started going to AA, came here a LOT in the early months. I knew I would need to build up a sober toolbox for the inevitable times when my addiction wanted to take me down again. If you have not thought about a recovery plan, I encourage you to do so. It will increase your chances of achieving long-term sobriety. Somewhere there is a thread that talks about recovery plans - perhaps someone will post the link to it here.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome

support to you