Notices

Advice

Old 05-30-2019, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice

Having trouble quitting. I drink about a bottle and a half of wine a night. I quit earlier this week for three days. I don’t have any major withdrawal symptoms but the ones I do have get to me so I pick up again. Insomnia. I started drinking to help me sleep so I know there’s an underlying issue there. I get hyptic jerks when trying to fall asleep. I’m sure it’s anxiety and I’m making Dr appointment to review meds. My appetite is not good which I think is normal at this stage. I just bought a multi vitamin. Aches! Omg. My joints are so achy when I quit!? Why!? Could be withdrawal but not much on web about it. Also could be nicotine caffeine withdrawal because when I quit drinking I normally cut way down on smoking and coffee. Fatigue! from insomnia or withdrawal prob both. At any rate I’m frustrated. Any feedback welcome. Bottom line? I think these things will improve over time. I just need to give it more time.

thanks
Lila
Old 05-30-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Lila, glad you are making and attempt to quit - you wont' regret it in the long run. Lost of the symptoms you list are very common when quitting and during withdrawals, i'm glad you are seeking medical help as well.

It does take time- the physical withdrawal istelf can last for a couple of weeks, and some things can take weeks/months to start clearing up. Inosomnia is very common, almost everyone has problems with sleep for a while.

Keep in touch with your doc and give it some time, things will defintely improve if you give sobriety a good chance.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I was drinking the same as you every night but am almost a year sober so it can be done! Main advice from me would be to take one thing at a time. For me, giving up smoking, caffeine AND alcohol at the same time was just too much to fight at once. Alcohol was the one that was ruining my life the most so that is where I started. For the first few months I drank a hell of a lot of caffeine and smoked lots too.

I also had a strict routine in the first few months. Bed at the same time and up at the same time everyday regardless of how tired I was or wasn’t. My body clock soon fell into line and sleep improved greatly. Meditation before bed was key too so I could try and calm my mind an hour before sleeping.

One thing at a time, one day at a time and the only commitment I made each day was “for today I won’t drink”. You can do this! x
Old 05-30-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Lila125 View Post
I don’t have any major withdrawal symptoms but the ones I do have get to me so I pick up again.
There is bound to be discomfort in the beginning. You have to endure it. It's the only way. Your addiction knows what strings to pull to get you to go back on your decision to quit. You have to stay firm.

Everybody who has gotten and remains sober has gone through the same thing you have, and succeeded. So can you.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
There is bound to be discomfort in the beginning. You have to endure it. It's the only way. Your addiction knows what strings to pull to get you to go back on your decision to quit. You have to stay firm.

Everybody who has gotten and remains sober has gone through the same thing you have, and succeeded. So can you.
carl pretty much took the words out of my mouth.
early recovery was a straight up bitch for me- mentally,emotionally, and physically. sleep? whats that? lack of sleep didnt kill me.none of the symptoms of years of drinking killed me. the only way through it was through it.
everything got better over T.I.M.E. -T.I.M.E. that i spent bustin my ass off learning about myself and fighting the mental obsession.
it was well worth every second i had to endure in early recovery.

recovery-the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost;a return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength.

on this:
I don’t have any major withdrawal symptoms but the ones I do have get to me so I pick up again.

i hope ya stop using that as an excuse to drink or justifying this as why you drink. theres a high probability ya drink because of untreated alcoholism,which one symptom of untreated alcoholism is using excuses to drink.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back,

I think you will be able to do this and to get past the 3-day point. Yes, there are lots of physical issues, including insomnia, to deal with. But, if you stick with it, things will get better for you.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agree with everyone it takes awhile but soooooo much better on the other side!
Old 05-30-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Lila
yeah - give it time - all those things sound like withdrawal as I knew it

It gets better
Old 05-30-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lila, and welcome. Coming up on two weeks myself. The first 4 days were the toughest for me. On the 6th day I started to feel a lot better. Now my head is clearing up, and I never want to go back to drunkenness.

It will get better. Maybe some medical advice would be helpful for you. AA helps a lot of people too. Get well soon!
Old 05-30-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol doesnt actually help you sleep. It makes you feel drowsy, but it disrupts REM sleep, especially if you're a habitual heavy drinker. As your body processes the alcohol, you may also find that you come to much earlier than you normally wake up, especially if you ever start getting withdrawals or anxiety upon cessation.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you stay stopped everything improves.

I had 8 years once..I have 3 days right now...so I know all this stuff you talk about that is also happening with me...will improve if I just stay away from alcohol.

Keep Going.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I learned here that my years of drinking caused irreversible brain damage.

A recent poster here spoke of major mental and physical issues after he had been clean for 4 years and started drinking again. After 2 years of moderation, he began to drink heavier.

His brain started to shut down. He was not able to talk or walk correctly. He had horrid anxiety as well. He ended up using benzos.

I have reached my drinking limit and if I ever drank again, I know I will lose the health I have achieved since quitting.

I don't believe the hype. I am a proud born again non drinker.

Thanks.