Notices

Wanting to drink

Old 05-28-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting to drink

Having a rough night. Really wanting to drink and having a terrible time getting past this craving. I’ve been feeling this way or a couple of hours. I’ve been cleaning, keeping busy, playing the tape forward and it’s not helping. Just having a super down day.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Coming here was a good idea Lucy. You say you want to drink, but do you really want the hangover, bad behavior, embarassment and shame that come along with it? Because you can't have one without the other remember.

Look at the "halt" ( Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired factories - are any of them a problem? Many times taking care of those things are what really needs to happen anyway. Coming here can certainly help with the Lonely category - stick around.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lucy

hope these links might be helpful to you
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-recovery.html (101 Helpful Hints For Recovery)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lucy, maybe you could treat yourself to some ice cream or good chocolate? I hope that you get through this.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lucy,

Glad you're reaching out. Is there something you could do to relax yourself? I ate shameless amounts of ice cream--that usually took the edge off for me at first. Lots of good suggestions here.

Hang tight, this will pass and you'll feel better for having gotten through it.

Wishing you well.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you really wanted to drink, you wouldn't have come here. Remember how good you'll feel in the morning if you stay sober. And drinking brings misery with it. Please don't drink.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nez

I am not very good at multi-tasking but I use that to my advantage at times like this. I start thinking of things that I am grateful for because when I do that, I am incapable of being ungrateful at the same time.

If my mind starts to stray off of the topic of gratitude, I gently and lovingly bring it back to the task at hand by being grateful that I know to do this today. I can not control the thoughts that pop into my head, but they don't control me either. Recovery has shown me that I can control my actions, that I am no longer a slave to whatever crazy thought pops into my cranium. I get to choose.
Leave you front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
Shunryu Suzuki
Old 05-28-2019, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What's bothering you(minus the urge to drink)?.. When I stopped, it helped me talk about whatever BS 'reason'(s) I was wanting to drink 'at'. Like drinking fixes anything...The lame reasons(EXCUSES) kept me drinkng longer than needed.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lucy,

I’m so glad you came here and posted. Playing the tape through is a great strategy, think how great you will feel when you wake up sober, rather than that depressing feeling of being back to day one.

Try some mindfulness activities. There are lots of apps and YouTube videos you can use. I’ve found centering myself and doing some breathing exercises really helps.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you coping, Lucy?

It's already Wednesday morning here, don't know what time it is there - did you get through the night okay?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I can't thank you enough for reaching out and sending me your awesome replies. I read each one last night. I should have replied last night but I was so mentally exhausted I just couldn't. I'm happy to report I'm on day 43 and not day 1. I was just having a down day yesterday. I was outside most of the day doing yard work, which I love. Then my husband came home and we were organizing the garage together. That's when the cravings really started to hit me. My favorite time to drink is when I'm outside and doing something (I mean really anytime) but romanticizing the "couple" of drinks would not leave my mind. I knew deep down it wouldn't be a couple, but I just couldn't shake it. My husband then went inside to shower and go to sleep, he always goes to sleep before me, I'm a night owl. And that's when the AV really started rolling. I was already planning to leave, go buy booze, cancel my plans today etc. It was scary. That's when I sat down on the garage step and made this post. Then I told myself I would wait at least fifteen minutes for a reply before I made a decision. I then went and showered.

Came out and read everyone's replies. Thought a little more and then realized I am just not in control. I did something I would never do in the past. I woke my husband up and told him how I was feeling and gave him my debit card and told him to take the keys to our cars. He was very proud of me and told me to not ever be embarrassed to ask for help. This was always how I felt in the past. I was too embarrassed to tell him I wanted to drink (he does not drink at all), I always felt he just couldn't understand. I am soooooo beyond thankful for SR, all of you and waking up clear headed and sober this morning. I can't even imagine how I would feel right now if I had thrown my jump start to sobriety down the toilet. Grateful for being sober today.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Man, that is a powerful post, Lucy.

Well done, you.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow Lucy, this is so inspirational. I have tried to quit on my own multiple times. This time i am much like you and enlisting the help of my partner instead of trying to hide things.
It is game changing for me. The other side of the coin however is a bit soul baring and sometimes embrassing. I commend you on for doing the right thing for you.
When i finally let him in and asked for his help he actually cried and told me he was proud of me.
Felt really good.
Hope you are having a happy, relieved, and sober day.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

remember it's ok to WANT a drink.
but we never HAVE to take that drink.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lucy, you did good! I'm so happy you reached out.

It took courage to ask your hubby for help. I'm proud of you!

This is why we need to arm ourselves with a hefty toolbox. When one plan doesn't work we go on to plan B etc.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the supportive replies. Just feeling very down and not like myself the last couple of days. I think because it’s summer and it is my most favorite time and I’m used to drinking while doing so many summer activities. Friends are having our regular summer game night tonight and I cancelled going at the last minute because I knew they would be drinking. They are by no means heavy drinkers but I just don’t trust myself after last night. Feeling down in the dumps. Trying to find motivation to just get up and get going with regular activities. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucy79 View Post
Hi everyone, I can't thank you enough for reaching out and sending me your awesome replies. I read each one last night. I should have replied last night but I was so mentally exhausted I just couldn't. I'm happy to report I'm on day 43 and not day 1. I was just having a down day yesterday. I was outside most of the day doing yard work, which I love. Then my husband came home and we were organizing the garage together. That's when the cravings really started to hit me. My favorite time to drink is when I'm outside and doing something (I mean really anytime) but romanticizing the "couple" of drinks would not leave my mind. I knew deep down it wouldn't be a couple, but I just couldn't shake it. My husband then went inside to shower and go to sleep, he always goes to sleep before me, I'm a night owl. And that's when the AV really started rolling. I was already planning to leave, go buy booze, cancel my plans today etc. It was scary. That's when I sat down on the garage step and made this post. Then I told myself I would wait at least fifteen minutes for a reply before I made a decision. I then went and showered.

Came out and read everyone's replies. Thought a little more and then realized I am just not in control. I did something I would never do in the past. I woke my husband up and told him how I was feeling and gave him my debit card and told him to take the keys to our cars. He was very proud of me and told me to not ever be embarrassed to ask for help. This was always how I felt in the past. I was too embarrassed to tell him I wanted to drink (he does not drink at all), I always felt he just couldn't understand. I am soooooo beyond thankful for SR, all of you and waking up clear headed and sober this morning. I can't even imagine how I would feel right now if I had thrown my jump start to sobriety down the toilet. Grateful for being sober today.
Your post brought a tear to my eye. I’m so very proud of you and am glad you have a wonderful support system in your husband. Thanks for sharing this moment with us.