Notices

Not desperate just me

Old 05-27-2019, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not desperate just me

I don't even know what that means. I feel like my attempts at long term sobriety are always these big glorious pronouncements. Maybe that doesn't work for me. What's my plan?
​​
Old 05-27-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

only you can answer that, Press.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know this is so cliche but literally one day at a time. Put your head down and focus on today, and don't drink for today. Come here. Post. Go to your job, do chores, live your life, and go to bed. Don't drink just for today. Then wake up and do it again tomorrow.

I have a sobriety tracker that allows me to make a pledge every morning and then check in at night and write some notes on how I'm feeling. It's a good grounding technique and the log is useful to read back. The days add up faster than you think.

I too am afraid to make big announcements with anything because they feel so overwhelming. So just focus on today. You can't cut down a whole tree in one go, you have to chop it down one swing at a time, and eventually it'll fall.

I believe in you, and I'm sending you support. Either way, keep posting. <3
Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can't get long term sobriety all at once. All we have for life is one day at a time. That's the best I can do for sobriety as well. For me, in the beginning, I could only focus on a day at a time. (Sometimes moment by moment.) That didn't mean that I was planning on drinking the next day. It only meant that I could only deal with the moment. That day.

Big pronouncements never worked for me, either. After some time, eventually sobriety became normal and I'm pretty sure I won't ever drink again. But that was because day after day I slowly began to change. Small changes added up.

Maybe that would be something you could try? Just take it a day at a time. See what small thing you can do today. And don't drink today. Tomorrow will sort itself out.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got tired of my big pronouncements.
Daily work got to where I wanted to be?

D
Old 05-27-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Press, it's okay to step back from the big pronouncements. Just get up each day, determined to be the best person you can be, and it will all come together.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Go to bed sober tonight, get up tomorrow, and do the same thing. You'll be surprised at how quickly the days add up.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
What's my plan?
​​
How about "I will not drink alcohol today, no matter what." And then repeat again tomorrow. It doesn't really need to be that complicated, especially at first.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Long term goals are achieved by setting many short term goals. Like not drinking just for today, we'll tackle tomorrow, well...tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My main goal is to get to bed and put my head on the pillow sober.

That's the big one for me.

It did help when I first started to set a six-month "no alcohol for any reason no matter what" goal in addition to that for when I felt short-term temptation.

But the main thing is getting through each day and as the days accumulate, sober muscle gets stronger.

You can do it. You did it before.

I also get a sense that you need to work on building a stronger inner life and relationship with yourself.

Mindfulness meditation, yoga, etc. all helped me as did Echart Tolle podcasts / talks.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been pretty out of shape for a number of years now..... granted, I'm doing a lot of good in my life and a lot of commitments are taking priority. I also have four kids.... but, the truth is I'm just not making my fitness a priority and I'm just not doing the work.

At this point, all it really would take is a little discipline to get out the door every morning before breakfast and taking a walk. I can list a thousand excuses and reasons why not.... and I can try to make big pronouncements about getting back in shape..... but none of it will matter.

Until I walk out that door before breakfast, putting one foot in front of the other, taking the steps of discipline with consistency and over time, I will be more fit and less pained than I am today.

It's really that simple.

It's just exactly like that with sobriety.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. And I now feel the same way about sobriety 'milestones'. Its not that I don't internally, at times, calculate how long I've been sober, I just don't feel like making a fuss over it. But that's just me, and that could change. Who knows! Making a fuss is good too. Whatever works.

I feel the great equalizer is today. Its all any of us really have, ya know? If I'm sober today, its a good day. I was down yesterday.... I had a medical procedure that has keep me in the house for a few days and its just been boring as heck. I was down last night but then I'm like 'hey, I'm not drunk, so that's a good thing'. I dunno. Its the little things.