Notices

Quitting and Thyroid

Old 05-24-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting and Thyroid

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (over-active thyroid) a year after I quit smoking and drinking and I have always felt there was a link - that my body went into complete shock. I had been a heavy smoker and drinker for over 30 years and then just stopped - cold turkey.

I have failed to find any evidence to support my theory, but I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience?

Of course, it could just be a big old coincidence!
Old 05-24-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hypothyroidism is pretty common in women especially after they enter middle age so not sure their is a link. Having said that I am male and was diagnosed with it in my 20s. After taking synthroid for a few weeks you should a definite improvement in your energy levels
Old 05-24-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah, I've been hypo for decades. I don't think there really is a link, although there is some evidence that malnutrition/under-eating/poor diet over the long term can contribute to thyroid peoblems, and I can say that my twenties and thirties were all about cigarettes, caffeine, alcohol and as little food as was possible to stay thin. Probably a lot of young women do the same things. It's easy to get into bad patterns and not so easy to see the damage being done.

I've been treated successfully for years, it's simple and inexpensive - but it is for life. I've lowered my dose of levothyroxine quite a bit with sobriety, good nutrition, exercise and a healthy body weight. I'm at a dosage that is less than half what I used to take.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey bimini, I do think it's all connected. I've bounced between hypo- and hyper- since sometime in my 30s (and it runs in the fam so dunno about when/why it popped up for me but I was getting into the throes of my alcoholism). I've taken synthroid since and we've checked my levels at least a couple of times a year- now that you bring it up, I don't think we've had to adjust the meds at all since sometime in my first year sober. Everything about my body adjusted (for the better- except the back injury!).