Notices

It’s a wonderful life

Old 05-24-2019, 03:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It’s a wonderful life

You may not see it at the moment but it truly is a wonderful life. By that I don’t mean through anything external but being able to sit and be content and grateful for being alive and admiring the wonder of the world and universe; to be at peace. Only sobriety and recovery from alcoholism has enabled me to attain this precious gift.

Grateful to be sober, grateful to be an alcoholic 🙏
Old 05-24-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

This post made me think of the Christmas movie, "It's a Wonderful Life"!

BTW there is 215 days til Christmas (for all us crafters!)
Old 05-24-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
You may not see it at the moment but it truly is a wonderful life. By that I don’t mean through anything external but being able to sit and be content and grateful for being alive and admiring the wonder of the world and universe; to be at peace. Only sobriety and recovery from alcoholism has enabled me to attain this precious gift.

Grateful to be sober, grateful to be an alcoholic ��
It really is an amazing place, being sober can appreciate all the little things that I never did before. A nice breeze, a tree or a good meal. Being drunk all the time really easy to overlook great every day things.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

:

D
Old 05-24-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm only now emerging from the fog, and the feelings of gratitude are already, well, wonderful. It's like I'm seeing how beautiful the world really is for the first time in too many years.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Grateful to be sober, grateful to be an alcoholic 🙏
Hi brighterday. Great post. I get the grateful to be sober part but could you explain the grateful to be an alcoholic part? Serious question, I'm here to learn. I've seen it here before and I really want to understand it.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Bathbomb,

I don't go much anymore but I did attend AA meetings when I started my journey. Imagine my surprise when a gentleman with 20+ years of sobriety announced "my name is Jose and I'm a grateful alcoholic". Grateful alcoholic?!! These people really were off their rockers I thought.

It took some time before I finally understood what that means. There are plenty of people who aren't physically addicted to a particular drug but don't have "emotional sobriety". Just sleepwalking through life and completely going through the motions. Perhaps unhappy with their family lives or careers or not being true to themselves. Then one day they realize that they're getting older and they're unhappy and think to themselves...is there more to life than this?

I was exactly that type of person except I was drinking myself to an early grave on top. When I sobered up I decided I had three options: I could kill myself, I could be a miserable dry drunk, or I could try to build a beautiful life for myself. Relapse is not an option, it will be a slow and torturous death for me.

I decided I was going to try to build a beautiful life for myself. It wasn't easy by any means but it's a decision that has paid dividends many times over. If not for my addiction there wouldn't have been any catalyst for me to change.

I'm WeThinkNot. I am a happy, sober, and grateful alcoholic.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
Hi Bathbomb,

I don't go much anymore but I did attend AA meetings when I started my journey. Imagine my surprise when a gentleman with 20+ years of sobriety announced "my name is Jose and I'm a grateful alcoholic". Grateful alcoholic?!! These people really were off their rockers I thought.

It took some time before I finally understood what that means. There are plenty of people who aren't physically addicted to a particular drug but don't have "emotional sobriety". Just sleepwalking through life and completely going through the motions. Perhaps unhappy with their family lives or careers or not being true to themselves. Then one day they realize that they're getting older and they're unhappy and think to themselves...is there more to life than this?

I was exactly that type of person except I was drinking myself to an early grave on top. When I sobered up I decided I had three options: I could kill myself, I could be a miserable dry drunk, or I could try to build a beautiful life for myself. Relapse is not an option, it will be a slow and torturous death for me.

I decided I was going to try to build a beautiful life for myself. It wasn't easy by any means but it's a decision that has paid dividends many times over. If not for my addiction there wouldn't have been any catalyst for me to change.

I'm WeThinkNot. I am a happy, sober, and grateful alcoholic.
Beautifully explained. Thank you so much.
Similar to some cancer survivors, I never thought of it like that. I get it.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bathbomb View Post
Hi brighterday. Great post. I get the grateful to be sober part but could you explain the grateful to be an alcoholic part? Serious question, I'm here to learn. I've seen it here before and I really want to understand it.
Hi Bathbomb thank you for your question 🙏

WeThinkNot has provided a wonderful reply to this question.

For me if I wasn’t an alcoholic then I would have never been shown and experienced this way of living in recovery; living spiritually. It’s a truly precious gift to me and has helped my emotional, mental, and physical well-being hugely. For this I cannot be anything but grateful. Without being an alcoholic I would have had no reason to think there must be another way of living so would have lived with the “blinkers on”. Hope that helps 😀
Old 05-25-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Beautiful ♥️♥️♥️
Old 05-25-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Bathbomb thank you for your question 🙏

WeThinkNot has provided a wonderful reply to this question.

For me if I wasn’t an alcoholic then I would have never been shown and experienced this way of living in recovery; living spiritually. It’s a truly precious gift to me and has helped my emotional, mental, and physical well-being hugely. For this I cannot be anything but grateful. Without being an alcoholic I would have had no reason to think there must be another way of living so would have lived with the “blinkers on”. Hope that helps 😀
Thank you.
I've been thinking about this post and the responses and it's prompted me to change my way of thinking. I was stuck for a while in my own pity party with feelings of regret and remorse and this has truly helped. I'm starting to live the life I've always wanted for my family and I. Never take anything for granted.
I appreciate your response, thank you.