Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Diamonds, Opals, Precious Present - Weekenders 24 - 27 May 2019

Notices

Old 05-23-2019, 01:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to the Weekenders

I’ve been thinking this week about the ‘precious present’ we all have and sometimes don’t see it right in front of us!

https://postimages.org/][/url

When first sober and starting my recovery journey, I read of baby steps and one day at a time. I also learnt of now, this moment, the present. I thought I understood.

The future was stretched way ahead out of my grasp and would be there as long as I knew it, but with these small steps, a day at a time I began to stop and look around me, notice this moment.

For once in my life I learnt to be present for the moment, sober, not planning my next drinks, and the ones after that too!

Nowadays I don’t chase after tomorrow but enjoying my precious present, right here and now.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat, as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes, and being sober gives us the clarity to enjoy our precious present.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 05-23-2019, 02:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In!

Old 05-23-2019, 02:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags, that's a lovely first post.

I am feeling quite chilled and mindful today let's see how long that lasts.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags.
Agree lovely clear message in the OP
Go's well with your signature.
And I'm IN too.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Thanks Mags, busy right now, will catch up later.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thanks for the new thread Mags. Nice OP. I think we spend too much time worrying about all the differrent things that could happen (at least people around me seem to do that). Instead of connecting to the here and now we are disctracted by thoughts of why things happened and what that could mean and how it will impact future events. I'm not saying we should completly stop it, the behaviour does have it's usefullness. But we need to strike a balance, learn to switch it off, smile and enjoy the now.

Last night I cleaned all the grime and paint off three (out of six) door hinges and gave the bathroom door another coat of white. Got an e-mail this mornng that our bathroom globe lighting fixture is ready for pickup, so I guess I'll be installing that tonight. I do want to have the shower up an running this weekend.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In! And in the present moment of getting ready for work.
Great topic Mags--thank you--
Will post longer soon same as Sao

Shotgun?
Old 05-23-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm in, too. Would be good to connect, see what others are doing on their sober weekends.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Present!

Welcome to the thread, kk1k5x

I remember in my Class of March thread there was someone who decided to do a roll call and/or a list. Little bit like herding cats it was. Try to get a bunch of newly sober alcoholics to commit to daily checkins and see how that goes. Anyway s/he would start with, "Present and correct," which I didn't understand - could be a European thing.

So, Present and Correct. Whatever that means. If I go to bed sober tonight, I've done it correctly! That was about all I could do in those first weeks.

If you're lurking, trying to decide, jump in. We just ramble on about our weekends and then stretch it out to the whole week.

No time like the present to quit drinking. Life is waiting.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi kk1k5x
Old 05-23-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Mags!

Unless my weekend is abrubtly disturbed by incoming work (of which there has been none for 4 days now...), I plan on diving into my books and taking at least a 30 min walk Fri, Sat and Sun.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in please for a lovely sober bank holiday weekend here in the UK
I'm off work this weekend but got plans to stay sober. Hope this weather keeps up 👍🏼
Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for another great weekend thread, Mags.

In a meeting last night the topic was gratitude and there was a lot of talk about the present. I think that gratitude and mindfulness help to ground ourselves and keep us in the present. As I believe Dragon said above, we have the tendency to start spinning into the future with all the what if’s. I’ve been having fears of relapse lately for seemingly no reason and my way of moving forward has just been taking it one day at a time. Also like bim said, if I go to bed sober tonight I will have done it correctly.

Anyway, got another busy weekend. I applied for a part time finance assistant at the zoo, which would just be a promotion of sorts to what I do now but with more money. So I hope I get it. Also, my mom, her BF, his kids, and I are all going to a latern festival and I hope the weather works out. If it does, it’ll be beautiful.

I will also be trying a new Friday meeting at 7 that a guy from my Wednesday one invited me to and I’m kinda excited cuz it seemed like there are more people around my age that go to that one. Finding friends in sobriety has been really hard and it’s been getting to me lately so maybe I can connect with a few people there.

Long post. Just rambling as bim said. The bathroom sounds lIke it’s really coming along, Dragon.

happy Thursday!
Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

Happy to have a long weekend coming up. Man friend and I are hosting a cookout/picnic for friends at a local park on Saturday. He's doing his usual thing, and microplanning the whole thing. I'm just like - hey, it'll all work out. People are bringing their own stuff to grill, and a dish to pass. We are setting up the grills and doing the cooking. I live like 3 blocks from the park, so I can run home to get anything we forget. No big deal.

Then Sunday, maybe, just maybe, we will finally get the kayaks in the water. So far, it looks like decent weather.

Living in the present - I'm getting better at it. Having said that, even though things are going pretty well at the moment, I have been waking up in the middle of the night and obsessing about the future a lot lately. Not sure what's up with that. I really don't have all THAT much to be concerned about. I do have a couple of personal challenges that are pretty big coming up, but my logical brain knows things will work out. Try telling that to my 2 am brain, though. During the day, I'm generally fine and can think things through and realize it's all going to be OK.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

2AM brain.

Mine does that too - not nearly as much as it used to, but sometimes.

I don't have a solution for it, but I am just empathizing. I read somewhere that darkness is when the human brain makes up the most scary stories. Makes sense, fear of the dark and the boogey man and tigers is pretty primal. Sometimes I just turn on the light and that's enough to settle down.

If I think of that...
Old 05-23-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I read in the middle of the night. It somehow shifts my brain away from the boogeyman. It usually works.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Quick checkin. Hope all are very well.

Lots of love to all.

Will try to catch up later.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I experience something that you could call 5 AM/6 AM brain. I just wake up and basically would be ready to start work.

It gets to be troublesome on some days, because the bright and early is too early I work from home, so I have the option of taking a nap, but I prefer not to, if I can help it. I've had bad sleep problems in the past. Since starting with melatonin, the cycles have been okay. Currently I place the reason for 'time confusion' on booze.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I wish I could take melatonin. It gives me INSANE nightmares. I'm surviving for now not taking anything, but if this goes on too much longer I might have to come up with a solution.