Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 3, feeling worse than day 2. Is that normal? Auditory hallucinations included

Notices

Day 3, feeling worse than day 2. Is that normal? Auditory hallucinations included

Old 05-22-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey, first time poster.

I have had an off/off serious alcohol problem for last five/seven years.

My last binge which finished just three days ago lasted 14 days I haven't had before . It's been hell since obviously. But I just had a few things in this withdrawl that I hope people might be able to easy my anxiety about.

Day One: Obviously rough but got through it. Zero sleep that night and anxiety through the roof. One really weird thing that started was I got auditory hallucination, of various kinds. Hearing noises that weren't happening, scary stuff. Some visual hallucinations too.

Day Two: Auditory Hallucinations continue during the day, but they are all musical. Just the faint noise of chart music (some songs I have near even heard) seemingly playing in the next room or the radio playing, but neither was the case. Worrying. Day Two night time was horrible. More Auditory Hallucinations, different types, airplanes and birds making their nosies on loop. Also, have had body twtiches all the way through. Was glad when the sun came up. Got about an hours sleep.

Day 3 (today): FReaked out and exhausted getting up. Managed to get outside, went to the gym, but have had a paranoid, "very foggy mind" all day. I walked out of the shop earlier and had to take a few seconds to why I was there and where I was supposed to go. I'm worrying myself that the DTs normally come on Day 3 (??), but maybe I'm just an anxious and really tired heading off to bed. (I doubt I'd be able to get to the gym if the DTs was coming). DOes anybody relate to any of this?

Anyway, thanks for listening guys.

Andrew in Dublin.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Andrew,

Withdrawals from alcohol are often unpredictable and can be dangerous. If you have concerns, talk to your doctor or to an Emergency Room to be safe. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I had all that and more. I would get brain zaps, agoraphobia, auditor/visual issues on and on.

The way it worked for me was tons of exercise, lots of food, and time time time.

Suffering like hell on earth.

I had ptsd for well over 2 years. Now I am beginning to see the real me. I am getting used to it, but folks that knew me as a drunk are still learning about all this awesomeness.

I crave periodically but I will never drink again.

Booze is a highly addictive, almost immediate, neurotoxin, that alters the cns.

It causes permanent brain damage.

The benefit of being an ex drunk is that I can compare what being this clean feels like compared to my days as a fat drunk.

Talk about liberation.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Andrew - welcome

like others have said withdrawal can be extremely variable. I personally don't think auditory hallucinations should be ignored.

I used to drink hard and be right to go again if not the next day the one after that.

20 years later I ended up being sick for a week to ten days by the time I finished my last bender.

If you're concerned can you see a Dr?

D
Old 05-22-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Andrew,
I was a bottle of wine a day drinker for years and my withdrawals lasted 11 days, don't let my experience deter you you're doing great by the way. I felt like I'd been hit by a bus and it got worse before it got better too. It was such a relief to wake up on day 12 finally feeling good. Drinking water and resting as much as possible helped me but of course see your doctor if you're worried.
Take care.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As my drinking progressed so did my auditory and visual hallucinations, a real sign it's affecting the brain and further withdrawals could be dangerous. The music thing! I got that too it drove me mad, bangs on the door, someone whispering in my ear, someone yelling at me etc. Then as time went on over the months of on and off drinking withdrawal got worse, I saw the small tiny insects all over me, the walls and flying into my face. Then more time drinking, full on fits.
If you managed to get to the gym I think you are over the worst but if anything worsens see someone asap I reckon. Keep going, well done! xx
Old 05-22-2019, 11:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Andy, day 3 was also much worse than day 2 for me.
Many people say day 3, week 3, month 3 are difficult times, but it varies from person to person.

I second everyone who said to see a doctor if you are unsure.

As for hitting the gym - I couldn't even get off the couch for the first week and a half - didn't even try.

Stay hydrated - very important. Speak to your doctor about vitamins as well - B Complex helped me a lot, but first check with your doctor.

Oh, and herbal /infused/flavoured teas were great for me.

Wishing you lots of strength and sending lots of support.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Withdrawal from my final binge was done via medical detox with a valium taper, and I was also withdrawing from sleep meds (lunesta). It wasn't so bad.

The time I withdrew from klonopin and alcohol I didn't sleep for three days, eat for 4 other than forcing down a few sips of ensure, and had wicked auditory hallucinations like you describe.

I third the recommendations to seek a doctor's care. I was told that cold-turkey withdrawal from my final binge without the medical detox, given my previous experiences, would almost certainly have resulted in seizures and quite possibly DTs.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just my 2 cents but when you start getting the auditory hallucinations and constant body twitches, it might have been a good idea to see the doc or get medical detox. I went through something many years ago, and it was rough. What you describe sounds pretty darn rough too. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 3 can be worse than Day 2. It always was for me. When I would fight cravings, Day 3 was the day I would fail. I think you can go without a drink for a while and your body puts up with it, but start pushing the sobriety thing too hard, and you body starts to scream. When it becomes obvious that it's not going to get its way, it gradually goes from screaming to sobbing, and then comes to grips with the new environment.

Where the cravings start to diminish varies from person to person.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the kind words and advice.

Into Day 4 and it's a bit of a strange one so far. I managed to get a decent bit of (broken) sleep, which was surprising. Feeling about the same as yesterday than yesterday, mood all over the place, but haven't really left the couch yet. No concentration at all and I have had this weird sense of virtigo today, where the ground would just suddenly seem to come up towards me, or I'd suddenly jolt, and I'd have to hold on in case fall over.

From a bit of online research, I think the auditory hallucinations and the my experience today is in relation to the withdrawal effecting my ears. They feel blocked and I can hear my own voice when I talk, and they keep clicking now and then.

Anyway, getting there and I'm glad you are all doing well. I've said it previously but maybe just half meant it, but I'm DONE with drink. That was my last binge and this will be my last ever experience of a withdrawal.

Andrew
Old 05-23-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

its harder to go sober than stay sober. Well done. Worst withdrawals were after 3 days for me up to day 5/6..I also did inpatient rehab medically detoxed. Got jabs in my bum twice daily, thiamine and B vitamins. Never again.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

SydneyMan raises a valid point. If you can get anything down, please start eating thiamine (Vitamin B1) like candy. It's severely low in alcoholics and worse in withdrawal, it's part of the cocktail in medical detox. Take B-complex instead if you want to. It's nearly impossible to overdose on vitamin B, as it's water soluble and the body simply gets rid of what it can't use.

Severe deficiency is the cause of alcoholic wet brain, which I believe I may have been in the early stages when I stopped...thank GOD I quit when I did.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Andrew are you eating? Are you hydrating yourself? The auditory hallucination are from no sleep. Passing out drunk is not sleep. and if you went 14 days on a bender, you may have felt like you slept a lot but probably didn't.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Andrew, the third day was the worst for me. Finishing up the fifth day now and starting to feel much better. Hang in there.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

So into Day 5 and thank God the world is finally starting to remind me of what I remember it used to be like. Sleep last night was all over the place (* listening to Ekert Tolle's Youtube clips is really helpful btw in relaxing the mind). I've no idea how many hours sleep I got given it was so broken, but I didn't wake with the utter fear of the previous few days.

So far so good today. I felt a small moment of joy/relief in my soul while sitting in a coffee shop window looking out at the world pass by... along the lines of "Pheeew, man, I'm glad this is almost over).

The auditory hallucinations have subsided thankfully (although my washing machine is on behind me and going through its wash cycle and it does sound like a dreamy Animal Collective mix in my head!).

Still slightly paranoid and the the limb jolts thingis still there but not half as bad. I know it will be another week or two before proper sleep patterns return but I'm just glad to be out of the worst it.

Hadn't been to an AA meeting in months but went to one last night and it helped just to talk out loud about the experience. Now, I need to keep my focus. It's Friday evening and sunny here in Dublin, so everybody is out and about. I just need to keep reminding my brain of the last few days.

So, I guess, for anybody out there sitting through the utter hell of the first two/three days of an acute withdrawal, it does get better on day four ... and I'm sure it will get better on day 5, six, seven and eight etc for me, so just wade it out and look after yourself.

Andrew
Old 05-24-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It took a very long time for me to be past the fear cycle. That out-of-the-corner-of-my-eyes feeling that something was coming right at me. The I-want-to-crawl-out-of-my-own-skin discomfort.

Hang on, and never forget.