Notices

Year and a half and just over it.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Year and a half and just over it.

Hi guys

its been a bit since I’ve been on. Still sober, no desire to go back to the hell of drinking but I am still not really in the swing of sobriety and it’s been fricking a year and half two days ago. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I can definitely see a correlation between my diet and mood and think hypoglycemia is a huge part to recovery I still have yet to master. But the one that keeps coming and going I wanted your two cents on is this depression or funk I keep falling into. I’ve never been a depressed person my whole life so I know it’s not a clinical depression type deal. But I have these episode where I just go completely emotionally numb, things I love I don’t care to do, sleep though my alarm clock, just don’t feel like me. I know I drank hard for a long time and my recovery will take time but it’s getting old. Obviously my brain tells me from time to time some booze will make this all go away but that’s just not an option anymore. Any feedback, advice is greatly appreciated. Side note: not a fan of ADs.

Appreciate ya.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Cobber3 View Post
I’ve never been a depressed person my whole life so I know it’s not a clinical depression type deal.
But you've not had a psychiatrist or medical clinician verify that have you?

Sobriety doesn't cause depression, but it could reveal it.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This was me to a tee. In fact I joined SR a little after a year and a half of sobriety. If you look at my oldest posts you'll see I was going through the same thing.

I was diligently working my program and I had never suffered from depression prior to and during drinking. A year and a half later I was sober, working my program, my life was objectively a thousand times better...and yet I was deeply depressed.

Unfortunately the only remedy for me was father time. I didn't get myself into the mess of addiction overnight and I wasn't able to get out overnight. In January, my 21st month of sobriety is when the change really occurred. One morning I woke up feeling absolutely refreshed and with a happy demeanor. Then another morning. Then another. Then another. Now I'm generally a happy and positive person.

Just keep grinding and I promise it gets better. I understand you are impatient just like I was impatient but you need to let things take its course.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Before you decide for certain it isn't depression, you might talk to your doctor. This could be something that medication could help you with. I understand you don't like anti-depressants, but if the other option is carrying on the way you are, maybe it's worth considering.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I owe my good life to antidepressants. They level the playing field for me and keep my depression manageable.

I too would suggest seeing a doctor, preferably a shrink, to do an assessment to determine if it's depression that's got you feeling so badly.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ChloeBitsy

Have you tried to start something new? Hobbie; sport; job; new pet (if you can care for them forever obviously)....something positive in place of ditching the demon. I often get these funks too now but then I plan a trip or try a different class or sport. Picks me up again soon enough....Try different things until you find something that interests you....hope it works for you
Antidepressants are not necessary for every funk people feel. Exercise, fun...these things are the real deal. The thing is to realise that action comes before motivation...ie: do it even if you don’t feel like it. You’ll be surprised how you feel once you start
Old 05-22-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

Are you getting regular aerobic exercise? This is critical for me. It is always tough starting out, but take it easy. I am also a fan as other of looking for something specific to do. I have never been able to think myself out of a funk. I have to do something, even if I have to force myself at first. I never regret it and come out afterwards feeling accomplished or having accomplished.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Helping other alcoholics works too .... gets us out of "self". I also am diagnosed with Depression by my Dr. I'm with the others, see your doctor.
Bobbi
Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
This was me to a tee. In fact I joined SR a little after a year and a half of sobriety. If you look at my oldest posts you'll see I was going through the same thing.

I was diligently working my program and I had never suffered from depression prior to and during drinking. A year and a half later I was sober, working my program, my life was objectively a thousand times better...and yet I was deeply depressed.

Unfortunately the only remedy for me was father time. I didn't get myself into the mess of addiction overnight and I wasn't able to get out overnight. In January, my 21st month of sobriety is when the change really occurred. One morning I woke up feeling absolutely refreshed and with a happy demeanor. Then another morning. Then another. Then another. Now I'm generally a happy and positive person.

Just keep grinding and I promise it gets better. I understand you are impatient just like I was impatient but you need to let things take its course.

thank you for the words. Just what I needed to hear.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Depression, to me is a strong feeling of sadness that lasts weeks and does not go away. I do not like meds- but AD's for me wewre a game changed.

Either way I suggest you see a doc- for a checkup...so you know everything is okay. Blood workup..stuff like that.
Seeing a counsellor helps me, as do meetings.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Was just at an op class last night, and the counselor said it takes a while for body and mind's chemistry to get right again. During recovery the first couple of years you might go through times like this. Definitely seeing a doctor and expressing how your feeling is probably the best choice. In the meantime you can try to mix it up a little, different meetings, yoga, trying new restaurants etc. Anything that might get your mind off the way your feeling right now.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have never suffered from depression either, but when I got sober, I went straight to the pink cloud. I never experienced relief from depression by drinking, because I wasn't depressed. Might you have been drinking to self medicate a depression? If so, when you stop, the depression would be unmasked.

Depression can set in anytime in your life, so just because you were never depressed before drinking doesn't mean you can't be now. I'm not trying to make a diagnosis here, just pointing out that seeing a professional at this juncture makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

depression symptoms vary and best to have a medical diagnosis.
might not be depression even. could be something else like bi polar,
cyclothymic disorder.......

please see a psychologist. it cant hurt ya.