For Your Entertainment....

Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For Your Entertainment....

I am posting these latest happenings strictly for your entertainment. I am not remotely tangled up in the messes I am about to describe, and am VERY grateful today.

A very large church I used to attend currently has its pastor on "administrative leave" over allegations by several men of "inappropriate touching" when they were young teenagers and serving as his altar boys. I see some of the members of this church once in a while, who are loudly protesting his innocence. I don't know if he is guilty or not, but the letters about him to the local paper have gotten quite vitriolic attacking the alleged victims as "pigs at a feeding trough," and the like.

Then I get a call from a lady in a prayer group over there I used to attend. She tells me her husband has been gone almost 3 months on a meth binge.
She talks all about how horny she is, and asks if I ever get lonely.

Like some of you have rightly stated, "you can't make this sh*t up!!!"

Last edited by Eauchiche; 05-21-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Entertainment?

I find it sad. Hurt people. Difficult and traumatic situations.

Some of my much-loved communities have been hit by alcoholism, drug use and sex abuse. It's difficult and tragic.

There is also amazing recovery, hope, faith and strength in these communities -- simply not in the exact same place where the hurt is happening. Going beyond the pain, looking towards healing and allowing the good to take center stage creates a healing environment.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

Having an awareness of our own hurts and those around us, then putting the Serenity Prayer to use. Digging into the day and changing the things I can.

The three A's: Awareness, Acceptance, Action

A big topic that becomes easier as it's experienced -- at least in my experience and from what I've learned from many others.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mango, you are quite right to take the high road.
I tend to get really snarky as a defense mechanism, when confronted with such severe and regular craziness.
I have, as my immediate goal, to create a environment where I am better detached from all this...
Thank You!!!
Old 05-21-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Holy Smokes! What a mess E! I am so glad you got out of that church!!!!
Old 05-22-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Accuser #6 has come forward with new allegations against that pastor. This one is a fellow clergyman. It is all over the papers.

I think that starting today, I am going to quit reading any news about this from now on. I don't go to that parish any more and haven't for over a year. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I can do about any of it.

If others want to keep attending there and getting upset by all the stuff in the news, well, they can keep drinking that cool aid if they want to.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It really is sad, but like you E, it makes me sorta shake my head in disbelief because..... people really CAN'T see themselves??? They don't hear their own hypocrisy?

No.... no, they don't. I find this cognitive dissonance to be frightening. It's why I struggled so hard being raised catholic & took years to get on my spiritual path because I resisted understanding how separate it is from religion.

Stopping the info you receive about it all is a perfect solution - totally remove yourself from judgment of any sort.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
It really is sad, but like you E, it makes me sorta shake my head in disbelief because..... people really CAN'T see themselves??? They don't hear their own hypocrisy?

No.... no, they don't. I find this cognitive dissonance to be frightening. It's why I struggled so hard being raised catholic & took years to get on my spiritual path because I resisted understanding how separate it is from religion.

Stopping the info you receive about it all is a perfect solution - totally remove yourself from judgment of any sort.
Thanks Firesprite
The parish in question has been exhibiting cult-like tendencies for a very long time, making it quite un-Catholic. Catholicism does not usually get so hung up on personalities in clerical garb.

If the charges about this pastor are true, then he is a sex addict. I grew up in a family like that, where Daddy filled up the room. The children usually fight over "daddy."

Now, the "children" are fighting all over social media over this guy's guilt or innocence.

Like other addictive situations in my life, I also had to step away from this one.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

I always struggle with which side of the fine line between "discussing other people's behavior" and "gossip" I am on. Because of this I try to avoid doing either one. I am not 100% successful at this, but I am getting better at it with practice. Practice is not always fun...I would rather being outside playing with the rest of the kids... but I just remind myself that all those hours in the gym, practicing free throws, dribbling, passing, etc...got me in the game. :~)