Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

The FOG is finally starting to lift... what are you grateful for?

Old 05-19-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The FOG is finally starting to lift... life without my XAGF has been vital for my soul & I'm definitely feeling a little better with each passing day. At first, I was just thankful to make it through a few minutes without having a complete breakdown.

Looking back, I've reflected on so many of my decisions & feelings.
And one thing kept re-surfacing... I realized just how ISOLATING living with an addict can be.

I lost so many friends. I'm sure many can relate.

So every day I try & be a little more social. Even if it's simply opening the door for someone & saying hello, or smiling at a mother & child playing next to me on the subway. I try to truly enjoy that moment... & it honestly makes me happy. Because I remember what it's like to constantly be worried about my ex... ALWAYS worried & stressed out... consumed by the darkness of addiction...

So... since I don't have many of friends anymore & no one to talk to tonight... (yes I plan on making new ones this year!) I need some positivity to start the week off right!

Sundays are awesome for reflection.

I'd love just one simple thing... action... life event that you're GRATEFUL for. Could be from today, or something positive that you have forgotten to reflect on...

I'll start ...I'm simply grateful to be sitting here in my room with peace of mind. That's pretty big for me. Nothing huge happened today... but I did have 2 photo jobs this past week and another interview this week. Hoping to find a new job once I heal from surgery next month.

How about you? There's always something... even if it's little...
Old 05-19-2019, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

LifeChange….I've got a couple.....

I am thankful that I get to appreciate the talent of incredibly gifted performers....For example---I was listening to this today and I felt to grateful...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4B&FORM=WRVORC

And.....

I am grateful for the smell of newborn kitten's bellies....like, when you rub your nose on their soft little underbellies...…..
I wish that could be bottled.....
Old 05-19-2019, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too feel almost like those little spring flowers that are showing their heads after a long winter, slowly melting away my dark cloud that X somehow managed to burden me with heavily. And I feel like that even if only after few shy weeks of NC.

Having said that, I am grateful to be able to feel that Spring Sun on my flowery face, and even if its pretty sporadic at this point, I can sense its power as it evolves...

😊👋🏻
Old 05-20-2019, 03:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am soooo grateful for the beautiful sunny day we had yesterday!!!! And for the four-hour nap I took in the afternoon, waking up refreshed! Yay!

(And for the smell of newborn kitten bellies, of course!)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^Awwww, kittens . I never knew any of my cats when they were kittens, but I often wonder what they must have been like then. My 2 kitties now are super sweet. One is an on-the- side type and doesn’t actually sit on me, but when he does it’s a great honor and I don’t move, even if I have to go to the bathroom. My other one is very needy, he sits on me all the time, and follows me around. Sometimes I’ll be doing something, like laundry, and I look up and see that he followed me and he’s watching. Cracks me up. =^..^=

Also grateful for wildlife, I live in an area where there’s lots. This time of year especially, I like to spend time outside and see what might come along.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Growing things in my new garden! I’m so thankful I’m enjoying planting seedlings in my greenhouse and I’ve just put them out, tomatoes, sweet peas .. I’ve even built a bamboo frame for them! So excited to watch them grow!!
Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My best friend is AMAZING in the way she holds space during a conversation & just lets me unpack everything. She is such a natural counselor & so generous with her time.

I'm sooooo grateful for podcasts & the variety of ways it brings me to entertain & educate myself. It is also a return to Storytelling in a way that I adore.

Nature is my church & I'm so happy to be able to have time in my yard & still making improvements as we go. I'm still purging the final section but keep finding myself going back to maintain the completed areas a lot too. I invested in a lot of cheap solar lights & dotted them along the entire yard - when they come alive at night it's like watching the earth wake up. From my porch view which is elevated above the yard, they look like a constellation dropped from the sky & landed on my property.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m allergic so I just nuzzle the belly of my little doggie and I too wish I could bottle her smell! I’m grateful for her. The last couple weeks have been hard for me on a self-esteem level so I focus on the things I am grateful for like my dogs skin that I get to nuzzle and the Spring which has been a very wet one so far! I have a concert this week outdoors with my best friends that will be really fun as well as it’s supposed to be nice and warm out. Doing great at work too. That’s been good for me since I have always struggled with work self esteem too and feeling dumb.

thanks for the nice thread! Need to remember the good stufff!
Old 05-21-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am grateful for serene, centered peace and lack of drama.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LOVE hearing all this positivity! Literally SMILED as I read each one. That's so powerful if you think about it...

Loved how both nature & animals are a grounding source for everyone who responded. That's also very powerful.

Today was so beautiful here, where I live... 65 deg, sunny with a breeze! I sat by the water... looking across at the incredible city skyline & just savored it all.

Eauchiche, you nailed it...
"I am grateful for serene, centered peace and lack of drama."
Old 05-23-2019, 09:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yesterday I got to watch my 2 year old great niece walk an aging dog I'm sitting. It was the perfect combo as the old dog was too week to pull the little on over and the kid was so proud to be in charge.