Notices

To fill the days...

Old 05-13-2019, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To fill the days...

Hi, guys. Long-time lurker, infrequent poster. Been sober for 2 1/2 years, divorced, no kids. I'm lucky enough to have employment where minimal work exceeds my financial needs, but I find that I have such a hard time filling the days. I do have projects like reading everything on my Goodreads list and watching everything in my Netflix queue, but traveling in fictional worlds only gets you so far. My friends work sixty, seventy hours a week, so hanging out is rare and I'm alone a lot. I know I'm sleeping too much just to kill time. I do love animals and hopefully I'll be able to start volunteering at a rescue soon, but any other constructive ways to live out this life?
Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got a lot out of volunteering,
I also play music with mates when I get the chance

D
Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am currently taking an online course in philosophy through http://coursera.org that is a real distraction for myself.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I envy your lack of need for too many work hours. Volunteering and education courses both sound great. I volunteered to help out a friend this past weekend and again tonight just put out a blanket as and when offer. I actually kinda smirked when I realized ..."hey I do believe the AA folks are big on volunteering.... and I now think I know why". Makes you feel good to help others and it gets you out of your own damn head and daily personal drama. I have an inkling its living in my own head 24/7 that gets me into trouble. If I'm not thinking about myself....it's a good thing.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel like I am way to busy with work but I wish that I had some more time to do the things that I like to do. I play Runescape when I can. I like to listen to electronic music, read my aa, na, or step work books. I like to work on my steps when I can. I try to meditate to help with my anxiety. I like to watch youtube videos about the universe. I try to learn as much as I can about whatever interests me. I mean some would say that I am pretty boring but I enjoy what I do.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great suggestions above- what about any IRL recovery-based activities? I'm an AA person so a decent part of my day/week has that stuff (meetings and more- esp work w my sponsor and a sponsee) and it is never 'too late' in sobriety to work some kind of a program in. Other than AA, there is other stuff to do to grow emotionally or spiritually or practically or just to make friends. Here, that can be getting involved w some type of recovery center (like a volunteer option but also good for your own recovery experience).

My now husband and I are fans of "one a month" stuff- in 2017, that was a 5K ea month for a cause we picked; last yr it was some different kind of physical activity (indoor rock climbing, yoga a couple times, a fundraiser walk, hatchet throwing...). this year it is some kind of engagement w a cause in Atlanta. we like meal delivery for a charity here so that's what we did last Sat for May.

I did a lot of coloring books at one point too - the "adult" ones have curse words so it is pretty entertaining.

Socially, I plan out dinner w friends or such, sometimes my husband and I do, and it's whatever I/we like doing now.

Glad you are here, too.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

In my first year sober I ....

Volunteered for a few months to be the pilot for a blind lady on her tandem bicycle built for two.

Taught alphabet pronunciation and diction to adult immigrant ESL (English as a Second Language) students.

Spent one hour/ week at the local Convalescent Hospital visiting the elderly.

Amazingly, there are lots of young, pretty nurses working in Convalescent Homes and we've been married 24 years!

Old 05-14-2019, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All great suggestions, thanks!

I do have a few coloring books. They work great in conjunction with audiobooks/podcasts.

I tried studying philosophy for a few weeks and learned and retained a few interesting concepts, but it didn't grab me. I've been studying the history of comic books instead, which I know is a lot more lowbrow, but also (for me) a lot more fun.

I should look into traditional learning classes (for, y'know, a career) but I just never figured out what I wanted to do when I grew up.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Since I got sober, I've poured myself into my dogs and cats and spoiling them rotten. I'm down to one dog and three cats, but all are living the life of Riley, thanks to my diligent sober care.

I enjoy walking my dog in the nice weather and spend a lot of time with her sleeping in my lap.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done, perhaps learn a musical instrument lots of tutorials on you tube, or learn a new language, there is lots of things to do to fill your days, just need to find one that you enjoy 👍