Notices

Currently going through a divorce with an alcoholic

Old 05-11-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Currently going through a divorce with an alcoholic

hi, I’m Brooke. My husband left me and my kids (he was step dad, real father never knew them and he’s in jail for dealing) we were together on and off as married couple for 6 years. When I met him we both drank in the beginning. But I don’t really drink a lot, maybe once a month now.. I hate hangovers. He slowed his drinking down because he got a second shift job but would spend sat sun getting totally drunk. I asked him to stop many many times because he wasted the whole weekend at the bar and would only come and fall asleep on the couch. I kicked him out several times because of it . Finally he agreed to once a week on Saturday. I felt a huge resentment and he claimed I should accept him as he is because he drank when I met him. But he got into a hit and run with his own daughter and had to attend a course for that. He claims he fell asleep at the wheel and didn’t realize he hit someone even though his daughter told him to stop he kept on going. Cops arrested him at my house and I didn’t even know what was happening. Several times I asked him to watch the kids I would come home and he was wasted out of his mind. I was so furious. But I loved him and thought he would change.
So recently he went out Saturday night a month ago and I told him not to come here if he was wasted because I didn’t want to deal with a drunk. I thought that would prevent him from getting drunk instead I found out he got so drunk he went home with another girl.
He now wants a divorce because he’s sick of my ****.
So that’s where we are. He gave me the money to file and everything. He completely broke my heart. He’s acting as if this is all my fault and he’s just completely sick of me. My kids are heartbroken. We haven’t talked in weeks as I told him to leave us alone.
His own daughter doesn’t talk to him either.
Last year I nursed him back to health from almost dying of sepsis.
I guess he has no heart.
Thats where I’m at.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’m sorry for what you’re going thru and I know it hurts.

Let him go. He doesn’t want to change and your demands are really not substantial.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

You can't stop a drunk. They have to want it.

Sounds like you would be better finding a non drinker. The gotcha is if they are an ex drinker and decide to relapse.

When dealing with an active addict a person is dealing with an irrational person.

Irrational equals insane when it is time for the crazy.

Education and lingering permanent mental and physical damage saved me.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
I’m sorry for what you’re going thru and I know it hurts.

Let him go. He doesn’t want to change and your demands are really not substantial.
thanks for the concern. I’m sorry if I’m offending anyone , I just feel hurt and I didn’t know if this was a forum for Alanon or only alcoholics. I don’t mean to offend anyone.
I’m sorry but what do you mean when you say my demands are not substantial?
Thank you
Old 05-12-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No offense. It's a sad but not uncommon situation around here.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Brooke

This is a forum for Newcomers and as a newcomer you're very welcome here

Some relationships last forever and some don't - sounds like this guy has decided to move on. As for what he says, I know I blamed everyone else when I was a drinker too.

It could be a blessing in disguise for you.
A new life, a new sober beginning ?

D
Old 05-12-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Brooke.
Welcome. Glad you found us, and very sorry for your sadness.
You will find lots of support here, so keep posting.
Things will get better in time.
Peace.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brooke81 View Post

I just feel hurt and I didn’t know if this was a forum for Alanon or only alcoholics. I don’t mean to offend anyone.
brooke, there is a sub forum here for friends and family of alcoholics.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
you will find support and guidance from people that have been in your shoes there.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome Brooke! I'm sorry what you are going through.

Sometime divorce is itself a new boudary,
damage control. When married to someone who doesnt respect your safety, your wishes, physical/psycological or financial well being, i feel it is often the best one. It hurts, but it also seems like your husband is giving you a gift in disguise. One hit and run or dwi will likely lead to another or something else. He doesnt spumd like hes in a place where hes seeking help

Focus on your own well being and you childrens as best you can. Sending my support
Old 05-12-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Welcome Brooke! I'm sorry what you are going through.

Sometime divorce is itself a new boudary,
damage control. When married to someone who doesnt respect your safety, your wishes, physical/psycological or financial well being, i feel it is often the best one. It hurts, but it also seems like your husband is giving you a gift in disguise. One hit and run or dwi will likely lead to another or something else. He doesnt spumd like hes in a place where hes seeking help

Focus on your own well being and you childrens as best you can. Sending my support
thank you
Old 05-12-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What nmd said. My opinions fall on both sides. I was married, my wife didn't work. I wasn't abusive or anything, just not worth much when I came home from work and decided to drink. She said to stop drinking or she'll divorce me. She filed without ever once trying to get me help, via counseling, therapy, AA. Just left a nice, roomy house and security to move back in with family because she felt it was better for her mentally.

Now even though she's still broke, she's happy with her boyfriend of a few years. Yes, I hate myself for that and I wish I had been lucky enough like some here to have had a supportive spouse. Or even one who made an effort to understand or help instead run.

But I don't blame her at all and I don't blame any spouse for not wanting to put up with it, especially if you have kids. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
What nmd said. My opinions fall on both sides. I was married, my wife didn't work. I wasn't abusive or anything, just not worth much when I came home from work and decided to drink. She said to stop drinking or she'll divorce me. She filed without ever once trying to get me help, via counseling, therapy, AA. Just left a nice, roomy house and security to move back in with family because she felt it was better for her mentally.

Now even though she's still broke, she's happy with her boyfriend of a few years. Yes, I hate myself for that and I wish I had been lucky enough like some here to have had a supportive spouse. Or even one who made an effort to understand or help instead run.

But I don't blame her at all and I don't blame any spouse for not wanting to put up with it, especially if you have kids. Good luck.
I understand. The thing is that he wouldn’t admit he ever had a problem no matter what damage he caused. The main thing is that he cheated on me once early in our marriage which was an emotional affair apparently and second after 6 years, so the drinking I would have been more open to helping him if he admitted his drinking was a problem and that he didn’t cheat on me. I would have been more supportive of him. I did live him very much and he really hurt me. He is the one that ran. He ran away from anything I ever said and into the arms of the bar and random women.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can sympathize. It’s not you, it really is him. He puts his alcohol above you, that is not a reflection on you although it may feel that way. It’s a reflection of what an out of control man he is, lost touch with what’s important in life. This is your chance to reinvent yourself. Find happiness, focus on you, free from the burdens of trying to rein in his drinking. He will go down a dark and lonely road, you will be free and live a better life. I knew a woman who spent 27 years married to an alcoholic. In her late 40s she met a college professor, has traveled the world with him, and has the life she always deserved.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Brooke - you deserve better, you deserve to be happy, your children deserve to be raised in a healthy environment. It may be hard to go through with this process, but you cannot change him.
I had suspected he must've been hiding bottles cuz who passes out after a pint?
Best to you and glad you found us.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brooke81 View Post

I understand. The thing is that he wouldn’t admit he ever had a problem no matter what damage he caused. The main thing is that he cheated on me once early in our marriage which was an emotional affair apparently and second after 6 years, so the drinking I would have been more open to helping him if he admitted his drinking was a problem and that he didn’t cheat on me. I would have been more supportive of him. I did live him very much and he really hurt me. He is the one that ran. He ran away from anything I ever said and into the arms of the bar and random women.
Ok, you should have left after he cheated the first time. Now you should definitely run.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds like a blessing. May not appear to be so while in the situation currently. In 5 years you will be so thankful he has given you life again and YOU took your life back. I hope you are able to find some way to heal yourself and move on!
Blessings,
DC
Old 05-14-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My ex-wife was going off the rails with, among other things, her alcoholism when we got divorced.

I hope that she is clean and sober and having a great (and better) life somewhere.

When we first got married, my alcoholism was the elephant in the living room floor that everyone had to step over, even though she was a very creditable drinker (she was in the incipient phase of alcoholism, while I was in a considerably more advanced state).

But then I got sober after a few years of marriage and she quit for 10 years (which was immeasurably helpful to me and for which I remain grateful).

At some point, though, she took up heavy drinking and erratic behavior soon followed.

We got divorced after more years than we should have stayed together.

I hope that she is on these forums right now.

In my case (and I suspect my ex-wife's), divorce was very emancipating.

I keep telling people it should be a sacrament.

I married my college sweetheart and we have been together now for 14 years.

I wish you the best with your situation.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
I can sympathize. It’s not you, it really is him. He puts his alcohol above you, that is not a reflection on you although it may feel that way. It’s a reflection of what an out of control man he is, lost touch with what’s important in life. This is your chance to reinvent yourself. Find happiness, focus on you, free from the burdens of trying to rein in his drinking. He will go down a dark and lonely road, you will be free and live a better life. I knew a woman who spent 27 years married to an alcoholic. In her late 40s she met a college professor, has traveled the world with him, and has the life she always deserved.
wow thank you!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
Brooke - you deserve better, you deserve to be happy, your children deserve to be raised in a healthy environment. It may be hard to go through with this process, but you cannot change him.
I had suspected he must've been hiding bottles cuz who passes out after a pint?
Best to you and glad you found us.
thank you so much
Old 05-15-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
My ex-wife was going off the rails with, among other things, her alcoholism when we got divorced.

I hope that she is clean and sober and having a great (and better) life somewhere.

When we first got married, my alcoholism was the elephant in the living room floor that everyone had to step over, even though she was a very creditable drinker (she was in the incipient phase of alcoholism, while I was in a considerably more advanced state).

But then I got sober after a few years of marriage and she quit for 10 years (which was immeasurably helpful to me and for which I remain grateful).

At some point, though, she took up heavy drinking and erratic behavior soon followed.

We got divorced after more years than we should have stayed together.

I hope that she is on these forums right now.

In my case (and I suspect my ex-wife's), divorce was very emancipating.

I keep telling people it should be a sacrament.

I married my college sweetheart and we have been together now for 14 years.

I wish you the best with your situation.
thanks , same to you.