Notices

90 Days... lack of motivation

Old 05-10-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

90 Days... lack of motivation

Hi all,
I’m about to hit 90 days and I’m struggling with a lack of motivation. It feels as if I’ve hit a new phase. I feel a lot of guilt that I’m being super lazy and stuck in the mud. It’s like I’m afraid to really engage with the world and I only do the bare minimum. The behavior reminds me of when I was drinker... except minus the drinking. I know that if I can break through this, I can learn what’s on the other side. I’m not tempted to drink but I’m just sitting around, living vicariously through television and others’ stories. I do go to AA meetings and this helps.
I wish I could understand what is paralyzing me. Just curious if anyone else experienced this or is now.
thank you!
Old 05-10-2019, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 90 days of sobriety.

Have you wondered if you might be depressed? It's something to consider, and if so, maybe you could talk to your doctor?

I hope you can think of something that will motivate you to get involved. Did you have hobbies and interests that you enjoyed in the past? You might find that, if you try something, you might really enjoy it.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three months sober! I agree with Anna. It might be depression. Can you see your doctor for an assessment?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, Liveher.

Congratulations on 90 days. That's a big deal.

I got stuck, like you, at 90 days. It was a turning point for me, as it continues to be even after my 21 years of continuous sobriety.

Meetings helped me too, and I went to plenty of them. I still go to meetings.

When I asked someone to be my sponsor, things really changed for me. My sponsor took me through the Big Book and the steps and it truly saved my life. Maybe it's time for you to get a sponsor?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I suffered from co-occurring depression for a long time after I got sober before I finally got help for it.

I would schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist.

Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Liveher View Post
Just curious if anyone else experienced this or is now.
yes

this is why having a formal service position at the meeting is so important for me

gets my lazy butt out of the house!

Old 05-10-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I felt that way for a long time. I didn't beat myself up for not getting much done though, I let myself take it easy. Not drinking was hard enough as it was. Pretty much the entire first year I just focused on not drinking one day at a time and as long as I was able to do that I felt good at the end of the day.

Things really cleared up mentally around the 13th month mark, it was like a breath of fresh air washed over me.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have often heard that "3's" are for whatever reason...difficult times. 3 days...3 weeks...3 months....3 years. And not kidding, I had an addictions counsellor once tell me that a surprising number of people "go out" at the 30 year mark.
Congratulations on enduring a virtual season of sobriety! I don't think it's unusual to hit phases of "no man's land" in sobriety - doesn't make it easier to know I'm sure but who the hell knows what is truly lurking beneath our many year alcoholic fog? What did alcohol enable us to do that we did not think we could do for ourselves. I'm sitting here wondering how I will do housework with out it! Did we suffer with staggering social anxiety that made us steel ourselves with liquor? Did we have a chemical imbalance or deficiency of dopamine or serotonin? If we have addressed every adversity by putting something in our mouth to get something off our mind...how the hell do we deal with any sort of metaphoric hiccup in middle age? Maybe some fresh air? Slap some headphones on a go for a walk? I know that when I'm depressed ....I pretty much "act" like a depressed person. I watch tv with the curtains closed (no matter how bright the sun is outside). I eat crap food and watch heavy drama or other dark topics - and maybe wait until 4 pm to pour myself some elixir ..rather than any old thing that will make me laugh or feel better in anyway. Scratch that...I mentioned alcohol right? A pitiful remedy
Old 05-10-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh... I loved these responses and I am really grateful thanks. We get so used to isolating in our drinking and it’s easy to forget in sobriety that sometimes others’ voices and shared sentiments are our life lines.

I’m sure I am depressed. It’s also right before Mother’s Day which is a doozy for me. I lost my mother and I’m saying goodbye to my failed fertility window and hello to menopause. Yeppppp... chose to quit drinking at a time when a lot of women choose to start. Wah wahhhh.

I suspect that I do have dysfunctional neurotransmitter levels... in fact, I learned during genetic testing that I have a genetic set up for low MAO A activity or what they call the warrior gene. This potentially means that my neurotransmitters become excessive which is also not good because it can cause agitation, anxiety, anger. It’s interesting because I just read that it’s likely that a lot of alcoholics have issues with excessive adrenaline circulating.

I don’t want to go an antidepressant for several reasons (no judgement towards anyone who has chosen this route).

Today I laid in bed eating a pint of ice cream watching the Netflix film Wine Country. I know people are going to think that was a bad idea but I laughed my head off. It was a good reminder of how ridiculous we can be and how our brains can just be our own worst enemies.

Then I read your responses and I actually feel like joining the land of the living again.

Thank you 🙏
Old 05-10-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liveher View Post

Today I laid in bed eating a pint of ice cream watching the Netflix film Wine Country. 🙏
I've been waiting for this one....and I will be watching that myself this weekend - but with keto cheesecake perhaps. No ice cream allowed

I too missed the baby train my friend..... and hitting menopause was like 'holy eff - that ship sailed!". I think my relationship with the bottle was far too important too put much effort into spawning. Sad to say.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Liveher- I had to giggle at the ice cream in bed thing. I've shared often around here about my best friend ice cream and our path together (in sobriety!). And sometimes watching a "Drinking" movie is like watching a sad one on purpose- if it fits the right psychological need, cool. One I always suggest (free on Amazon I think) is "Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot." The tragic-al twist is at the beginning and it's a great story with some great actors.

Also....I felt a large shift forward in a lot of ways around 100 days. For me the "good pops" have often been right before or after the "big" markers like 9 mo or a year. Ex 10 mo and 13 were notably good in retrospect (here at 3 yrs and 2 ish mo).

Not sure if you've shared elsewhere but what are you doing for a recovery program? I've got AA plus a number of other things (psychiatrist is indeed one for me, and meds; spiritual component and learning about all kinds of health and mental and emotional stuff; exercise; so on)....

And I'm a stepmom - no kids of my own- and this is the 2d year of a weird no-womans land for Mother's Day. My husband and I are in tune about how hurtful it was last year that EVERYONE failed to notice my existence in this fam...and we also know we are all still figuring out where I "fit" in the fam, apart from the two of us knowing where I do in the marriage

Take care of yourself- whatever that means TODAY. Glad you are here.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure better days are ahead liveher

D
Old 05-10-2019, 08:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was in a lull around 3 months as well. Fast forward another 3 months and couldn't be happier. Perhaps meditation and pranayama breathing exercises could be an option for you? There is a great app called Smiling mind its free and has guided meditation if you never done it. I could not live without meditation. I do an hour everyday it sets the tone for the day. Just an idea
Old 05-10-2019, 09:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh em gee....I watched Wine Country this evening with pizza and grape fizz made with my sodastream. Laughed until my abs actually hurt. Blessed to have the same old school posse the movie illustrates. And the song at the end? Slayed me.... we gals used to skip out in our senior year and head over to my house (and yes we were imbibing by then) we would put that album on the ole parents stereo and dance around joyously together. Good memories...precious ones. Haven't laughed this much on a Friday night...since I can't remember when.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

LiveHer, I think sitting in bed and eating ice cream and watching a film, specially a funny one (I must put wine country on my ones to watch list) is a great relaxing past time! Enjoy. Xx