Notices

Been an interesting week

Old 05-10-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been an interesting week

So I posted earlier this week about quitting drinking and done with drinking. I had some anxiety during the day all week and a panic attack yesterday on my way home from work. I was a bit dizzy on some occasions and did vomit 2 times from the anxiety.
I decided on Monday that I was going to taper, so I had about 1.5 glasses of some wine I had in the rack on Monday and Tuesday. I had 1 glass of it Wednesday and Thursday evening. Today, Friday, I feel good. I have slept like a rock all week and besides the crappy panic attack and anxiety during the day, I feel like I can get through this this time. I just have one side affect that I didn’t think was part of drinking, but after researching it, it sounds like it could be. I have constant ringing in my ears. It could be stress induced too, but drinking causes stress, right ?
I cancelled a gathering at my house for tomorrow evening because I knew it would be a drinking fest as usual. So I think that’s a step in the right direction. I spoke with my husband and told him that I’m an alcoholic and was committed to living a sober life. He is an admitted alcoholic too. He drinks bud light every night and has several kegs on tap in the garage. He is supportive and didn’t drink last night but he’s not ready to quit, so this will play out in time.
I went on Facebook today after a long break from it and looked through all the photos I have and I wasn’t shocked to notice that every single occasion that we posted in the past 10 years involved drinking. Whether we were on a trip, playing golf, on the boat, hanging out with friends, even all the times we went to play games with the kids, there was drinking of some sort involved. But I thought it was fine because we are hard working, financially successful and functional and so are all our friends. That’s a joke. There is no sophistication in drinking a bottle of wine a night. And I’m no longer functional. Or at least I was getting to the point of not functioning properly.
I took today off from work to have some alone time and honestly because I’ve been working my butt off for a long time and deserve a personal day. My friend texted me this morning to see if I wanted to go for a wine tasting after work at one of our wineries we belong to. I fibbed a bit and said I was working late, which no one would think I was lying, so I got out of it. I’m cancelling my membership immediately.
Im not drinking today and going to take it one day at a time.
ive been reading here all week and finally had a moment to post and I look forward to having time now that I’m not wasting my evenings on wine. I thank you for your posts. They do help a lot. 😊
Old 05-10-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Hopefully4me View Post
My friend texted me this morning to see if I wanted to go for a wine tasting after work at one of our wineries we belong to. I fibbed a bit and said I was working late, which no one would think I was lying, so I got out of it. I’m cancelling my membership immediately.
great choice

when i was new my aa sponsor forbid me from being around drinking

now i forbid myself!

Old 05-10-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is eye opening to see how much alcohol just becomes a part of our lives, in every aspect. Sounds like you are taking positive steps to stay sober. Hope your husband decides to join you as well in taking those steps.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is no sophistication in drinking a bottle of wine a night. 😊
Amen sister. When entering sobriety (as I have before) I too "fibbed a little". I had to go to a work party (e.g. drunk up) in my first week of a previous sobriety and lied with "sorry, I'm on antibiotics". It was amazing how many people jeered and cajoled "c'mon....you can have ONE!". Ya? Well I could also not drink for ONE week". I eventually got stronger and just told folks I had quit..but in the beginning, I wasn't strong enough just yet. Keep on keeping on.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a good start Hopefully4me

D
Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice job Hopefully4me! I started feeling a lot better after about five days (I'm at two weeks now and feel great). The first couple days I had very strange dreams and didn't sleep well but that has started to change. It's good to hear that you are avoiding some triggering plans for the time being. So many of my friends are big drinkers and I'm curious to see how our relationships evolve (or don't) because of my recent decision.
I also can totally relate to your facebook realization! It's crazy how I paraded this illusion of "fun" across posts and photos when in reality I was just sitting at home drinking by myself most of the time.
Good luck in the coming days! I'm sure you'll start to feel better soon. On a side note, have you tried listening to any podcasts for inspiration? Recovery Elevator has been a huge source of inspiration in my first two weeks.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshout View Post
It's crazy how I paraded this illusion of "fun" across posts and photos when in reality I was just sitting at home drinking by myself most of the time.
Ouch. I resemble that remark.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. I am on day 3 of no alcohol and I physically and mentally feel pretty good. I have only had one other time in over 10 years that I had more than 3 days and that was in December after a full abdominal hysterectomy. I had 10 days because I was in so much pain and because I was on pain meds. As soon as the pain meds no longer worked, I stopped them and asked for some egg nog to “celebrate “ the holidays. The came the wine. A bottle every night until last week.
I cant believe how much I accomplished. I’ve been starting to really feel the physical effects of drinking all these years and especially when my poor body was trying to heal from a major surgery. I didn’t even allow it to. I had a 3 pound tumor removed and still thought it ok to drink like that ? Wow. That’s sick. 😌
Anyway, husband and I went to dinner on Friday. He didn’t drink again either. I watched all the people drinking around me and it made me itch a little but not like I thought. Went yesterday and bought 6 trees and shrubs to plant at our home we built a year and a half ago. I haven’t wanted to do this while drinking. My 13 yo son started crying and says we never do anything fun anymore and I realized it’s because I would start drinking around 4pm on Saturdays and couldn’t bring him anywhere because I wouldn’t drive while drinking. So I was sober last night and around 7p, when I would have normally had a nice buzz going, we went to a local gaming establishment that he likes. We played games and had a great time.
Guess it was time to wake up and realize I was finally done with the cycle of it all. Drink , sickness, anxiety, exhaustion, 2nd wind, repeat.....
Old 05-12-2019, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What are some good podcasts to listen to ? I’d love to find some ! 😊😊😊
Old 05-12-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Went yesterday and bought 6 trees and shrubs to plant at our home we built a year and a half ago. I haven’t wanted to do this while drinking. My 13 yo son started crying and says we never do anything fun anymore and I realized it’s because I would start drinking around 4pm on Saturdays and couldn’t bring him anywhere because I wouldn’t drive while drinking. So I was sober last night and around 7p, when I would have normally had a nice buzz going, we went to a local gaming establishment that he likes. We played games and had a great time.
Powerful stuff.

I too cannot believe how much I have accomplished this weekend. I had to drive a bit last night for errands and realized.... like you..I pretty much check out around 4 p.m. - all responsibility around the home sort of comes to a standstill and God forbid anyone needs me to drive anywhere. Ya. Not happening. Gracious.... I can drive in the evenings now!
Let's keep on keepin' on sister.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What are some good podcasts to listen to ? I’d love to find some ! 😊😊😊
I listen to mostly crude comedians, so I give terrible advice there LOL

but Joe Rogan Experience does have something for everyone, though it sometimes gets redundant. And there are too many political guests lately (both sides of the aisle)...but it's still a fairly solid 2.5-3 hours that's both funny and informative.

You can download an app called Castbox. It's free and has everything. You can just look at what's most listened to and see what topics grab ya.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson. Big fan of both.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Happyvale View Post
Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson. Big fan of both.
Yes, I really like Jordan Peterson as well. There's really nothing he says that I don't agree with.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

GOOD SHARE- support to you
Old 05-12-2019, 10:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
Yes, I really like Jordan Peterson as well. There's really nothing he says that I don't agree with.
Me either. Those who think he's racist or gender discriminatory or the myriad of other things he is accused of - have not truly read nor listened to him.