Notices

Pitter patter of tiny feet 😃

Old 05-08-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pitter patter of tiny feet 😃

Evening all, so 'lola' has arrived at last (puppy) she is adorable, playfully cute, we've already started with a few commands 😃 NO.....COME....SIT
She is already getting the idea with lots of praise, only a few accidents. But it's only day 1, I've read so much information, I'll have her washing up soon 😂
All is good in my world, no problems. I'm sitting quietly in my kitchen,lights on low, ticking clock, radio softly playing, whilst Lola settles herself in her crate, for hopefully a few hours of solid sleep. I feel a little apprehensive in case she wakes an cries (if I don't here her) it's all trial and error at the moment, the crate isn't locked, she has all she needs around her, so fingers crossed she'll start to understand night time after a few days.
Much love as always
Doris 🙏💖
(Shes snoring lol)
Old 05-08-2019, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awww lovely 😊
Old 05-08-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Awww lovely 😊
It's like having a new born again 😂😂 I'm like a new mum x
Old 05-08-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That’s lovely I have two dogs & a cat
Old 05-08-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful!

You may take this unsolicited advice or leave it, but "no" means nothing to a dog. There are so many "no's" for different types of unwanted behavior, it confuses the dog, and they might start thinking that "no" is also their name. They don't know what "no"means.
Try to be specific with your commands in relation to the unwanted behavior such as, "off" when she jumps on someone or something you don't want her to, "leave it" for eating scrap/chewing something she shouldn't (and replace it then with a toy to show her - non verbal motions (hand or body) go a long way too with dogs because whether it's positive or negative attention, to them it's still attention, so they may keep on doing it.
In case she jumps on you, just turn your back to her without a word, she'll grasp that faster and make the connection in which she won't get any attention and associate it with something undesired. There's also "easy" for example, if she may be playing too rough or getting nippy. "HEY! HEY! (always followed by a command) will get her attention anytime from a distance.
But coming back to the word "no" it's too general for her to associate it with a particular or specific unwanted behavior.
Non verbal cues, positive reinforcement, rewards for wanted behaviors, catching them red handed and acting right away (calmly, so she doesn't freak out in turn) and replacing or showing her the right place to pee (and then you can say "good pee/poop" AFTER she is done outside will get her to understand what you want quicker.
Dogs at the end of the day, want to please you.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for this 😃
Old 05-09-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
Wonderful!

You may take this unsolicited advice or leave it, but "no" means nothing to a dog. There are so many "no's" for different types of unwanted behavior, it confuses the dog, and they might start thinking that "no" is also their name. They don't know what "no"means.
Try to be specific with your commands in relation to the unwanted behavior such as, "off" when she jumps on someone or something you don't want her to, "leave it" for eating scrap/chewing something she shouldn't (and replace it then with a toy to show her - non verbal motions (hand or body) go a long way too with dogs because whether it's positive or negative attention, to them it's still attention, so they may keep on doing it.
In case she jumps on you, just turn your back to her without a word, she'll grasp that faster and make the connection in which she won't get any attention and associate it with something undesired. There's also "easy" for example, if she may be playing too rough or getting nippy. "HEY! HEY! (always followed by a command) will get her attention anytime from a distance.
But coming back to the word "no" it's too general for her to associate it with a particular or specific unwanted behavior.
Non verbal cues, positive reinforcement, rewards for wanted behaviors, catching them red handed and acting right away (calmly, so she doesn't freak out in turn) and replacing or showing her the right place to pee (and then you can say "good pee/poop" AFTER she is done outside will get her to understand what you want quicker.
Dogs at the end of the day, want to please you.
You know I've been trying your advice instead of NO, I'm now saying HEY and showing her my hand when I wan t her to stop (not aggressively as if I'm to hit her ) but quite close to her. If that makes sense, I've also added in a yelp when she's playing a bit roughly. It's really working already. She's responding better. 😊
You can't gather enough info when training a pup, thanks again 😃
Old 05-09-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've got friends with a 3 year old Airedale. I don't think she would tolerate it now, but for her first several months, she would go into her crate on her own at night. The door could be left open or closed. She just went into her crate, because it's where she wanted to be.

When I was a young teenager, we got an Irish Setter puppy, and I made a bed for her out of a cardboard box. I put it by the heat vent because it was out of the way, and I thought dogs liked heat, but she preferred to sleep in front of the drafty kitchen door. This instigated a power struggle. I would put her in her box and she would leave it and go sleep by the drafty door. Finally after several days, she dragged the box across the kitchen floor and placed it in front of the door and went in it on her own. I gave up, but I had to take away the box because no one could go in or out the door.

A month later, my mother was assembling garbage together on the porch outside. She was getting it ready for the weekly pickup, and it was a big pile. She threw the then unused cardboard bed I had made on top of the pile, and an hour later, when I ventured out into the snowy back yard, the Setter had climbed up on the pile, and was sleeping in the box.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doris47 View Post
Thank you for this ��
Glad you're taking it in stride. There are many commands, "drop it" "touch" (to get her to your extended palm of your hand by your side), ""EH! EH!(followed by command), "back up." "Acht! Acht/Beurk!" about something gross she may be inclined to get to and you want her to stay away from.

Using your tone of voice is also important from sharp/dry to smooth (eeezeee). I use a mixture of both verbal and non verbal cues. Yelping is good, they get that. My rott would be afraid of kids at first cuz they'd scream if he got near. Then you need to tell the kid, "SHADDUP! (kidding). Don't scream, cuz when you do, to him it sounds as if he's hurt you."

Rewards may be simple pats or treats or verbal praise.

Rotts tend to be possessive, so in order for him not to be with food around me, I would pet him while he was eating so he would see that I wasn't going to take his food away from him. Same with toys and other dogs, teaching him that it was ok to share. Also I have 2 already trained side kicks that help out.

Remember to keep your cool and remain consistent. Your pup is smart and should pick up on these basic commands rather quickly.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh puppy breath and puppy snuggles.

Enjoy!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Glad you're taking it in stride. There are many commands, "drop it" "touch" (to get her to your extended palm of your hand by your side), ""EH! EH!(followed by command), "back up." "Acht! Acht/Beurk!" about something gross she may be inclined to get to and you want her to stay away from.

Using your tone of voice is also important from sharp/dry to smooth (eeezeee). I use a mixture of both verbal and non verbal cues. Yelping is good, they get that. My rott would be afraid of kids at first cuz they'd scream if he got near. Then you need to tell the kid, "SHADDUP! (kidding). Don't scream, cuz when you do, to him it sounds as if he's hurt you."

Rewards may be simple pats or treats or verbal praise.

Rotts tend to be possessive, so in order for him not to be with food around me, I would pet him while he was eating so he would see that I wasn't going to take his food away from him. Same with toys and other dogs, teaching him that it was ok to share. Also I have 2 already trained side kicks that help out.

Remember to keep your cool and remain consistent. Your pup is smart and should pick up on these basic commands rather quickly.
I love rotties.

I just lost my rottie boy (my 2nd) about 2 months ago, still grieving. I'll get another rottie puppy in a few months, it's just too soon. This thread is reminding me of the joy and WORK that's in front of me!

As far as crating, I left my pups closed in their crates overnight in the room with me. Blitz whimpered a night or two as he was settling down. Otto would cry for 30-45 minutes so loud it sounded like a baby was being murdered, and this went on for over a month. The first day when I left him outside in the back he screamed so loud the police came, they didn't realize it was just a puppy!

Eventually Otto viewed his crate as a sanctuary, it was also a way to keep him away from destroying things in the house when I was gone.

As far as biting your hands, I used to use a high-pitched yelp and pull my hands away. He got that very quickly.

Training any dog is mandatory, but rotties will take over your house if you don't establish that you and the rest of the family is alpha. Once established, they're the most loyal dogs on the planet.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I love rotties.

I just lost my rottie boy (my 2nd) about 2 months ago, still grieving. I'll get another rottie puppy in a few months, it's just too soon. This thread is reminding me of the joy and WORK that's in front of me!

As far as crating, I left my pups closed in their crates overnight in the room with me. Blitz whimpered a night or two as he was settling down. Otto would cry for 30-45 minutes so loud it sounded like a baby was being murdered, and this went on for over a month. The first day when I left him outside in the back he screamed so loud the police came, they didn't realize it was just a puppy!

Eventually Otto viewed his crate as a sanctuary, it was also a way to keep him away from destroying things in the house when I was gone.

As far as biting your hands, I used to use a high-pitched yelp and pull my hands away. He got that very quickly.

Training any dog is mandatory, but rotties will take over your house if you don't establish that you and the rest of the family is alpha. Once established, they're the most loyal dogs on the planet.
So sorry to hear about your loss, I know how it feels like and that's why I got the Rottweiler now. My seniors are 11 and the lab has considerably slowed down. I wouldn't be in the mind frame to get a pup once either pass. It will still be hard for me and him too cuz he's so attached to the lab in particular.

Hard at work
Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Best toy every dog loves and that is cheap are racket balls! They love the high bounce.
I got 2 stolen at a fenced in dog park. Now I put his name on them with a water proof thick black marker.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

She's an absolute darlin, in terms of behavior, all fairly normal I feel for a puppy, she's definitely picking up the yelp of she gets rough. 😃
Old 05-09-2019, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

So sorry to hear about your loss, I know how it feels like and that's why I got the Rottweiler now. My seniors are 11 and the lab has considerably slowed down. I wouldn't be in the mind frame to get a pup once either pass. It will still be hard for me and him too cuz he's so attached to the lab in particular.

Hard at work
Blitz lived to 14. I just lost Otto to lymphoma at 7, which I was so not ready for.

Shouldn't this be the pitter-patter of tiny paws? LOL.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Very happy for you, Doris.

What kind of pup is she?
Old 05-09-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Disappointed.

Thread is about puppies but there're no pictures!
Old 05-09-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Bronx as a pup last summer

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
Disappointed.

Thread is about puppies but there're no pictures!
https://i.postimg.cc/RhM3fxFL/FB-IMG-1554088545755.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Dy00Kgb0/FB-IMG-1554088542640.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/cHTxpgxf/FloDaddy.jpg
Old 05-09-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mindful Man - I had a rottie, he was an amazing dog, but I was still in school and an idiot. It was heartbreaking, but I didn't care for the money, and ended up giving him to my neighbors' son (who had beagles and foxhounds all his life cuz he hunted and he also had a big family with kids out in the country). I knew he'd be well cared for and in a good home. I was so stupid, and heartbroken over it, I kept in contact and would get news. He passed at 7 as well from cancer. So soon! My baby. But the thing that stuck with me most is that the guy told me that he had been the best dog he had ever owned (and he had owned many throughout his life).
I also lost a GSD (childhood dog) when she was 10 to cancer. F Cancer!

Bronx is also such a good, gentle, loving and sweet tempered Rottie, it's like making up for my late one.

Oh and Bronx would be the pitter patter of huge feet.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on the new addition. I've really wanted to get a new dog to replace the one no longer with us. I'd welcome the companionship and compatibility. Unfortunately, I just don't feel it's fair to the dog when I'm gone 10 or 11 hours on the average work day.