Notices

Four months sober :)

Old 05-07-2019, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four months sober :)

Hello all

i thought I’d share my experiences and thoughts, hope it helps someone. My story isn’t especially different or amazing, but I think I’ve beaten alcoholism which can’t be bad.

49-year-old male, used to drink wine and/or beer every evening. This went on for about 12 years, and my weekly consumption was 70 U.K. units. I was overweight with a BMI of 32 (obese) was sedentary and hangovers were the norm.

I wanted to lose weight and did so very successfully through diet, exercise and cutting down alcohol to 40 U.K. units, which equates to about half a bottle of wine every evening. I’d lost over 12Kg in a couple of months, but two things bugged me. Firstly, it’s daft to work so hard at the gym and then consume 400 or so useless calories of alcohol. More importantly, though, that 40 units a week wasn’t enough for my craving. I wanted more. I realise that a decade of heavy drinking had made me alcohol dependent.

Then comes the usual cycle of cutting down and starting again. To cut an already long story short, the message is clear. If you want to drink every day and miss it if you don’t, you’re alcohol dependent. To then cut down is tremendously difficult, if not impossible. The only way, as hard as it seems, is to stop altogether. Yes, the urge will be maddening to start, but it will subside over weeks and months. Having “just one” will fuel that urge and send you back to square one.

As well as the weight problem, I had aches and pains from a “mild fatty liver” (diagnosed by a general ultrasound). The fact I still continued to drink with these pains seems like insanity now. A fatty liver is very likely to turn into cirrhosis, which is just about the worst disease I think I’ve ever read about. Your blood turns toxic sending ammonia into your brain and causing you to be mad for want of a better word. The blood supply gets blocked by liver scarring, and pressure rises in the surrounding veins which then bleed heavily. I was on another forum where posters had had transplants. Imagine having that massive operation and the very real psychological effect of having a liver from someone who sadly met with an early death, and all this because you wanted to drink alcohol.

i’m not anti-alcohol at all. If someone can stick to sensible limits (14 UK units a week), enjoy. But for the likes of me, I can never drink again. The physical effects of a few drinks on one occasion will be zero for me, but the mental anguish, i.e. that urge that will be reignited, is serious and, without wishing to sound dramatic, potentially deadly.

So, having cut down 18 months ago and stopping 4 months ago, I am a different person. I’m not a bore (hopefully) and go to the pub with mates, etc, but I’ve been given a second chance at life - I’m now BMI 26 and in a running club - which is so much easier without alcohol.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post and well done 👍
Old 05-07-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for reading all that lot

There are just too many positives to post. I could have gone on for pages.

What I should have added is that the battle isn’t over. I still get the urge for a drink occasionally, but it’s becoming rarer and rarer. If I did succumb and have “just the one”, which may well happen one day, that urge would come back immediately. I’d start all over again in that case, but I don’t see why I would need that drink. It’s so much easier to resist for a few minutes.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats and welcome Hodd

D
Old 05-07-2019, 03:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep. Right on Hodd. Especially the exercise part. That will be key to staying on course. At least for me. Now @ 9 months 10 days says the Sober Counter. Love your perspective. Good luck on your journey.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Thanks for reading all that lot

There are just too many positives to post. I could have gone on for pages.

What I should have added is that the battle isn’t over. I still get the urge for a drink occasionally, but it’s becoming rarer and rarer. If I did succumb and have “just the one”, which may well happen one day, that urge would come back immediately. I’d start all over again in that case, but I don’t see why I would need that drink. It’s so much easier to resist for a few minutes.

Good job on 4 mo and all the changes Hodd!! I am glad you shared- and glad you came back and said what I put in bold.

I don't use the word "battle" in terms of recovery - but I DO know that it's a permanent choice and way of life. Especially early in recovery like you are, any time we toy with thinking we've beaten it....can quickly turn our heads the wrong direction. Caveats like "happen one day" just can't be part of my thinking. Loopholes can easily become sinkholes.

Keep going - glad you are here for some more recovery-specific support.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks August

Like just about everyone else in this position, I’ve quit before for two or three weeks at a time. During those (very long) two or three weeks, I’d considered myself an ex-drinker and “woukd never drink again”. I then had “just the one” and was back to 40+ units a week within days.

I’ve read posts elsewhere from people who quit for years and had “just the one” and went back to heavy drinking. I’m no different to anyone else, so I reckon exactly the same would happen to me.

If I do relapse - and it is statistically likely - i’ll have to stop and start that long battle again. But that urge now only comes when I’m very tired or in a “drink” setting such as an airport. It’s so much easier to resist that urge for a few minutes than to feed that urge and be back at square one
Old 05-07-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tailai View Post
Yep. Right on Hodd. Especially the exercise part. That will be key to staying on course. At least for me. Now @ 9 months 10 days says the Sober Counter. Love your perspective. Good luck on your journey.
Trying to run with the day before’s half bottle of wine on board isn’t fun. I once had such bad acid reflux, I thought it was a heart attack.

Big well done on 9 months
Old 05-07-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Hodd, thanks for your very clear description of how alcohol dependency begins for so many people. One of the biggest group is my demographic, empty-nesters in their 50s and 60s. Once the kids are gone there's much more opportunity to have that extra glass of wine.

You're right about people like us having to give up completely rather than constantly try to moderate. It's too much effort! I'd rather relax than watch the bottle go around the table, getting anxious there won't be enough left for me.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on four months sober!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you want to drink every day and miss it if you don’t, you’re alcohol dependent. To then cut down is tremendously difficult, if not impossible. The only way, as hard as it seems, is to stop altogether.
This part really resonates with me. I struggled with admitting I was dependent on alcohol. I was a binge drinker, so usually 2 or 3 days off, then the next day I'd just get plastered. After being off the stuff for a week I'd come to terms with the fact I felt a 'need' for alcohol rather than just a 'wanting' for. I'm just coming up 2 months now.

We'll done on 4 months and great post
Old 05-07-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Very well done!
Old 05-07-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, well at least you had the 2 or 3 days off a week. That will have helped your liver a lot despite the other 4 or 5 days of hard work it had

I was surprised to read that countries like France and Spain, renowned for supposedly civilised drinking, have a lot of alcohol-related liver problems. So much for drinking every day
Old 05-07-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hodd, whenever I hear someone talk about the likelihood of relapsing (yeah, it's statistically probable) or other things you mention like "if I do then..." - my immediate question is what are you doing as a program of recovery? Besides just not drinking? That's what matters IMO and IME for the long haul of a great life in recovery.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Fantastic post Hodd, congratulationson 4 months sober along with all the other good things you are doing!!!

but I think I’ve beaten alcoholism which can’t be bad.

I feel a bit guilty highlighting this because you are doing great and I don't for a minute think you meant it in a complacent way but just try and think of your alcoholism as secure and caged but not totally beaten - it's the beast that cannot be killed. With four months behind you though and more to come it will require less effort to stay off the booze which is all good.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Hodd, whenever I hear someone talk about the likelihood of relapsing (yeah, it's statistically probable) or other things you mention like "if I do then..." - my immediate question is what are you doing as a program of recovery? Besides just not drinking? That's what matters IMO and IME for the long haul of a great life in recovery.
Good point. My evenings used to be a bottle of wine in front of the TV or computer. I’m quite sporty now and would get restless in front of a TV. Instead I’ll go to the gym, etc. The only issue there is if I was unable to train, I’d get bored and need something else to do - except drink of course.

Is that what you meant by what am I doing? It would be harder to stop/cut down I’d still sat in front of a TV, yes.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Fantastic post Hodd, congratulationson 4 months sober along with all the other good things you are doing!!!

I feel a bit guilty highlighting this because you are doing great and I don't for a minute think you meant it in a complacent way but just try and think of your alcoholism as secure and caged but not totally beaten - it's the beast that cannot be killed. With four months behind you though and more to come it will require less effort to stay off the booze which is all good.
You’re right to highlight it. I deliberately added the word “think” to my sentence I think I’ve beaten alcohol.

I recently read about an ex-drinker who’d been 18 months dry. He had one glass of Baileys one night and was a heavy drinker again in days. Fortunately he’s now stopped drinking, but he was a clever professional guy, and it shocked me that he was dragged back in like that. I’m not so arrogant to believe for a second I’m different to him. Regular heavy drinking for years has definitely affected me mentally. My brain has been hard wired now to expect alcohol, and it won’t change back ever. If I drink one, I’ll feed that urge.

So yes, good point. I’ll be a coward and rephrase it as follows:

“Alcohol has beaten me so I’ll hide away from it forever.”

Fortunately, I’m not scared to be around alcohol and can go to pubs/bars to order coffee or alcohol free. I even cook with alcohol sometimes and that must mean I ingest some alcohol in the food. But it’s a tiny amount which I don’t notice and am not drinking from a bottle or glass.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hodd, what I meant was what recovery focused stuff you are doing. AA? Another program? What active plan to go past not drinking and into recovery, not just abstinence? Exercise, or eating healthy, or new habits....all those kinds of things are great add ons and keep us happy and healthy and having fun....but they don't teach us enough about how to live sober, permanently. How to make the choice not to drink - when it does pop up. How to think and act (not react) differently than we did when drinking, in the ways that caused us trouble. And so on.

Lots of good info here if you haven't searched around.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I’m not being narrow-minded, well I am but I mean I’m doing it in a polite way , but do people need a program as such?

My wife, for example, has never drunk, which is obviously a bonus, so I thought I could just live like that.

As I said above, I acknowledge I’m not special or different, and better people than me have relapsed after months or years. It will be an ongoing battle, for want of a better word, but my urge to drink has subsided hugely.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months Hodd .
Lots of info here some will be helpful to you some wont as everyone has their own take on whats right or wrong . What is important is what works for you .
Personally I would find it too much being in the pub but you tell us you know what would happen if you took one drink so its good that you know this .

Best for the future